rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

I guess I just wish that there was a way to learn it more organically rather than just purely trial and error, especially when failure can be instant death and a restart of the battle. Like sometimes with big unavoidable AoEs, you need to be as far away as possible from the boss to mitigate damage. Other times you need to be really close. It’s often not something you can learn other than dying the first time, and I guess I’m not a fan of that kind of game design.

It’s just a little gripe on what is otherwise an amazing game though :)

1 hour ago, Retroguy said:

That’s why I never play as a tank either. What I’m not sure about is how people are supposed to know what to do during some of these pretty complicated battles though? Are there like any clues given within the game? Otherwise the choices seem to be either being told by someone who knows, or look it up online.

I know it’s maybe an extreme version, but I was trying to play the minstrel’s ballad version of Thordan’s reign the other day, and it was just ridiculous. Sure, I could look it up online, but if I’m having to do that, surely that’s a slight failing of the game to make it at least a bit more obvious to avoid dying instantly? Maybe I’m just being dumb.

From (limited) experience, fights are rarely that complicated. When you're connected to another player via a chain, do you get close to each other or far away? When the boss is channeling a spell, do you nuke the add or do you seek shelter behind a rock that miraculously appeared on the battlefield? Those yellow turrets on the outside of the battlefield, can those be targeted? Do I stand close to the boss or as far away as possible? The former is bad when the boss has a circular AoE, the latter is bad when the boss has a massive cone attack that targets a random player because you do not have time enough to run out to safety.

I do not wish to sound condescending and I hope that comes across, and rest assured you're not being dumb. If you have a handful of minutes, I can highly recommend the channel of MTQ - https://www.youtube.com/user/MTQcapture/videos. They have clear video guides to every encounter on any difficulty with mechanics explained via voice over and on-screen text. This does not remove mistakes from the equation, or make everything make complete sense but at least you know what to do in theory and once seen and done in runtime it clicks.

30 minutes ago, df0 said:

From (limited) experience, fights are rarely that complicated. When you're connected to another player via a chain, do you get close to each other or far away? When the boss is channeling a spell, do you nuke the add or do you seek shelter behind a rock that miraculously appeared on the battlefield? Those yellow turrets on the outside of the battlefield, can those be targeted? Do I stand close to the boss or as far away as possible? The former is bad when the boss has a circular AoE, the latter is bad when the boss has a massive cone attack that targets a random player because you do not have time enough to run out to safety.

I do not wish to sound condescending and I hope that comes across, and rest assured you're not being dumb. If you have a handful of minutes, I can highly recommend the channel of MTQ - https://www.youtube.com/user/MTQcapture/videos. They have clear video guides to every encounter on any difficulty with mechanics explained via voice over and on-screen text. This does not remove mistakes from the equation, or make everything make complete sense but at least you know what to do in theory and once seen and done in runtime it clicks.

To be fair, those are all pretty obvious examples though, where things kind of make sense and the kind of thing I think works fine.

There’s one bit in that minstrels ballad I mentioned where you have to break chains by running between then (didn’t even know that was a thing), then towers appear around the ring of the fight area (whilst you have to break the chains and avoid multiple AoEs) and at least one person needs to stand in each one otherwise the whole group gets paralysed.

The thing I’m getting at is that for me, if I have to actually look up an explanation to it, it’s a bit like breaking the game. I just think some stuff shouldn’t be that obtuse, especially when failing to do it doesn’t just make the fight harder, it’s an instant fail. But I appreciate it’s a balance since hard fights have to be hard, but personally I don’t think that’s the way to make it hard- and even then, looking up the solution defeats the whole challenge anyway, so what’s the point?

3 hours ago, wev said:

I've only done part 1 of Coils, I keep queuing up the next one but never get it.

No one really queues for the harder content like coil, savage raids or ex trials in the Duty Finder. You might be lucky and get the odd one if it fills the players through mentors roulette but generally you need to keep an eye on Party Finder or make a group yourself. Especially with somewhere like coil where Duty finder will sync you down to 50 and most people that will run it will want to just run through at max level.

As for mechanics, often when it comes to AoE's and the like it's some kind of remix on the normal version so if you've been doing it there first you know what to expect but they throw in something else you need to keep an eye on. The normal version is generally far more lenient and even if you do die to it a few times it's not the end of the world as there are very few mechanics that are outright wipes if only a few people mess up and no real dps checks. There isn't generally anything that complicated that it takes a long time to work out either, it's execution of people that know what to do and mess up that result in repeated wipes over not having a clue what to do. There also tends to be very few brand new mechanics, it will be something that is kind of what you've seen before that you can use as a reference but if you're new you won't have that experience. There's always that sprout that gets a share marker running around with no idea what to do with it :)

Having played World of Warcraft for 8 years, I can confidently state doing new raids is fun with guild members. Everybody's on the same page and figuring out how mechanics work is actually a fun thing to do. But in FFXIV I play with randoms all the time, I do not wanna push "hey I am new here and I am going to spend 3 hours learning this boss. I hope you're all ok with that" onto those randoms.

Now, that is me. I am in no way saying that my way is the correct way and anybody who disagrees is wrong. I'd love to go in completely blind and learn by doing, but I am not in any guild.

I’m guessing there’s no major point other than glamours for finishing the anima weapon quests which appear at the end of Heavensward? I’ve got the weapon, but the toughening up quest seems to be repeating a long string of dungeons with it equipped.

2 hours ago, Retroguy said:

I’m guessing there’s no major point other than glamours for finishing the anima weapon quests which appear at the end of Heavensward? I’ve got the weapon, but the toughening up quest seems to be repeating a long string of dungeons with it equipped.

Only for glamours yeah. The following parts are less do specific dungeons and more buying bits with tomestones so you can just keep the quests in your log and do them gradually if you need to dump some poetics you don't want to spend on gear if you've capped them out.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bcofn said:

Only for glamours yeah. The following parts are less do specific dungeons and more buying bits with tomestones so you can just keep the quests in your log and do them gradually if you need to dump some poetics you don't want to spend on gear if you've capped them out.

There are more steps beyond doing the dungeons? Yikes! I guess it’s all kinda busy work to keep people going until the next expansion is released and allow them to slowly increase their gear?

Anima Weapons are best glamour. (and yes, a lot more grinding is involved, a lot more...)

anima.thumb.png.54b9ae485216b1e51f7117035575a5bd.png

I'm not as bad as @df0 but just spent an uncomfortable amount of money making this glamour

IMG_20200509_204640.thumb.jpg.ea6a676769c2a1411d0fc0915e97d715.jpg

• Upvote 1

We've got another Moogle Treasure Trove incoming

That neckerchief is funny as fuck, but I do like the mount. Last time out I farmed Aurum Vale so, so many times as whilst Praetorium gives out the most Tomestones its absolutely full of unskippable cutscenes, I found that you could run Aurum Vale 2 or 3 times (depending on the party) in that time. 

I hit lvl70 DRG yesterday but am still doing lvl64 content, I wont be able to reach the end of Stormblood in a week

Finally made it through all the 2.x MSQ stuff and into Heavensward over the weekend By god those final cutscenes were something else! :omg:

On the whole I can totally see why they're trimming the fat off this in the next update, but the actual story content is pretty great (as far as MMO's go) in my opinion.

So I did end up picking up the full game, I'll post impressions another time.

Got a question though. I've started at the start and up to about level 25 now. Am I right in saying they increased exp rewards and starting gear for new players? I've been powering through very fast and honestly it's mostly been way too easy because I'm overlevelled. I've even been sticking mainly to the mainline story quests but even now I'm still 4 levels or something above the mainline quest level requirements (I didn't even equip the gear that gives you exp boosts). It is starting to get a bit harder now.

Another issue I have is that in the dungeons I'm having no time to explore or learn, take in the lore or anything because everyone already knows the dungeons and just races through in the optimal route. Is there any way I can alleviate this or hook up with other noobs so we can experience it fresh? I'm on a 'blind' players in game message board but its not very active.

@Alan Stock

I think they've streamlined things at least once before, when it first launched you would have to choose a class and work on that till lvl30 (iirc), but then you'd have to do another class and get that to lvl15 (again, iirc) before you could take on your final job, so to be a Dragoon I had to get Lancer to lvl 30 then 15 in Marauder before I could take on the quest lines for Dragoon, but they've done away with that now.

As for the second question, I'm not sure there is a way to do what you're looking for, though don't ever feel pressured to skip any cutscenes.

And if you do skip them, they can be viewed again in your Inn Room, iirc. :)

Just now, Bojangle said:

And if you do skip them, they can be viewed again in your Inn Room, iirc. :)

Very true, but seriously, dont skip and fuck anyone who pressures you to do so. I do hate it when everyone runs into the boss area's when people are watching cutscenes.

I'm hoping they do another Yo Kai crossover. My youngest is mad on Yo Kai Watch and went crackers when he saw someone with a Hovanyon minion in Limsa yesterday. Alas I wasn't playing when it happened last.

6 minutes ago, wev said:

Very true, but seriously, dont skip and fuck anyone who pressures you to do so. I do hate it when everyone runs into the boss area's when people are watching cutscenes.

Yeah, I've yet to be in a group where people get annoyed when someone is watching a cutscene, it normally just leads to the group taking a breather and having a little chat (I should add I'm a lowly level 55 so I'm far from doing current content, but at least for levelling the community seems mega relaxed in this). Likewise if you say at the start it's your first time, or you're new, people are generally really understanding.

I should note I've had no pressure about watching cutscenes, although I do feel a bit guilty making everyone wait while I watch! It's more as the dungeons are getting more complex, I have no time to explore. Like last night we were in the south forest dungeon with the spiders and its like a maze, but we skipped most of it because the leader knew exactly where to go. I can't run off to side rooms on my lonesome and let the party who is charging ahead deal with stuff without me. Ideally I need to find some other moons around my level so we can go in fresh and take our time a bit. I barely even have time to take in my surroundings half the time because we're always in combat. And we seem to skip a lot of treasure chests which are easily reachable.

Does anyone here play on console? I'm on ps4 and having difficulty switching to the correct targets when there's lots of mobs and a full party in play. Often deselecting your target and retargeting will end up targeting a teammate or the wrong mob. Any tips or other controls I should know about (I use dpad for cycling).

Can someone invite me to the relevant rllmuk linkshell please? Also happy to accept friend invites. My character is Jigsawn Wiles on Moogle server (PSN name Jigsawn).

• Upvote 1

I play on PC but quite often use a controller since I feel it's implemented really well, it also just feels great to sit back and play an MMO with a pad. I saw this video over the weekend as I felt like I could use a few tips on getting it set up properly so I have quick access to more buttons (I had no idea about the Expanded Hold controls, for example!), it also contains some helpful targeting tips, so might be just what you're looking for. :)

When in combat you should be able to just tap the L1 and R1 buttons to switch through mob targets, though.

• Upvote 1

@Alan Stock

I play on PS4, ive had the odd issue with targeting, but as I'm melee DPS I dont have to worry too much about multiple enemies, I just tap X to target the nearest enemy and whack away. One important thing is to make sure you have the key elements of your rotation on your main hotbar (and use the cross-hotbar/expanded shoulder controls when you start unlocking more things). I've got things set up now so that I'm nearly always active on the controller (and when you get beyond ARR, theres alot of abilities that you'll be juggling). 

I can add you to both the Free Company and the cross-server linkshell next time we're both on at the same time, it'd be nice to start chatting to people :lol: there's only really been two of us who are constantly active in the linkshell over the past few months, @df0 says he's using the dpad to type so aside from saying Hi when I add him I've not really chatted since, I use a keyboard normally, but just bought a chatpad to see how that feels (it arrived today)

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

I should note I've had no pressure about watching cutscenes, although I do feel a bit guilty making everyone wait while I watch! It's more as the dungeons are getting more complex, I have no time to explore. Like last night we were in the south forest dungeon with the spiders and its like a maze, but we skipped most of it because the leader knew exactly where to go. I can't run off to side rooms on my lonesome and let the party who is charging ahead deal with stuff without me. Ideally I need to find some other moons around my level so we can go in fresh and take our time a bit. I barely even have time to take in my surroundings half the time because we're always in combat. And we seem to skip a lot of treasure chests which are easily reachable.

Does anyone here play on console? I'm on ps4 and having difficulty switching to the correct targets when there's lots of mobs and a full party in play. Often deselecting your target and retargeting will end up targeting a teammate or the wrong mob. Any tips or other controls I should know about (I use dpad for cycling).

Can someone invite me to the relevant rllmuk linkshell please? Also happy to accept friend invites. My character is Jigsawn Wiles on Moogle server (PSN name Jigsawn).

Feel free to add me or I can add you,I'm on every night from 10pm ish if u need a healer to go through some stuff with you,well up to level 50 anyway as I've not done the msq to the next expansion.

So busy leveling all my crafting:lol:

Also @wev if you could add me if you are on after 10pm any night?

@Alan Stock While many of the early dungeons have some alternate paths or side rooms they largely abandon that later on and they're just single corridors to run down. What you can do if you really want to root around after a run is finished though is use the Return ability that normally sends you to the last Aetheryte you attuned it to. In dungeons it just returns you to the start so you can have a wander around at your own pace or read any lore that happens to be present, although there are only a few dungeons with any of that and you might run into any mobs that might have been skipped.

Thats a really good point @bcofn, they increased the time you can stay in a dungeon after it had been finished in a recent patch if I recall too, as alot of the /gpose community like to hang around and take pictures.

@Theholyhogg I'll keep searching for you :)

I think, right now, the only person who can't add to the linkshell is deef (I dont have the permission to change peoples rank), I'm not sure about the Free Company.

Can I just ask anyone thats not in the cross server link shell to let me know their character name and what server they're on? I can keep an eye out then (I've made a note of Alan's details)

Mines Amelia Hogg on Lich

So what's a cross server link shell and what's a free company lol?? I'm part of a grand company,is there any perks to joining a free company? I'm assuming it's a guild kinda thing.

4 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

So what's a cross server and what's a free company lol?? I'm part of a grand company,is there any perks to joining a free company? I'm assuming it's a guild kinda thing.

Free Company is a guild, yeah. Only works within a server, so people on Lousoix can't join with people on Moogle.

A linkshell is a chat channel, doesn't have to be people in your free company, they don't all have to be on your friends list (though you have to have someone on you friends list to invite them), a cross-server linkshell is exactly that, it operates across a whole datacentre so if you're on Chaos then you can join the rllmuk one, if you're on Light or any of the others, you cant

Grand Company's? Isn't that like Maelstrom? That's about earning currency and gear and PvP I think.

There's also now fellowships, fuck knows what they are. Then I've heard people mention statics, dunno what that is either.

• Upvote 1

A static is just a raid group. With the group sizes for raids only being 8 there tends to not be any rotating of players from night to night so it's just a static group of players.

3 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I'm on PC but use an Xbox pad.

Up and down on the dpad is fine for cycling friendlies, for switching enemies, holding down either L2 or R2, then LB or RB works quite well. There are plenty of settings in the character config but I always found this to be the simplest.

Thanks for all the tips! I've got two hotbars set up, one for combat and one for towns/getting from A to B. I'll need to set up another hot bar soon as my combat one's almost full and rotate them in combat. I have a usb keyboard plugged in which I plop on my lap for chatting in dungeons etc. It's not the most comfortable setup in an armchair but typing with the pad is too painful so I don't mind picking up the keyboard now and again!

A fellowship is basically an in-game message board, use the fellowship search function to get started, there's a couple of good ones there and some of them organise events and stuff. Seems like a good way to meet new players. I'm not planning to get into free companies yet though as they provide exp boosts and stuff which is the opposite of what I need right now! But looks fun for the future with guild houses you can buy and kit out, special gear and so on.

I''ve been in a slog the last few days, the main quest is really dragging between level 25-30 with loads of fetch quests and the annoying slyphs. Thankfully its led me to some cool new areas though like southern thanalan which is all mesas, and right now I've just been to the western edges of the shroud where its all rocky and majestic as it reaches towards the highlands, and a town on a lake. Its pretty cool.

To keep sane I've been playing a lot of triple triad which I love, I was addicted to it in FF8 and this is no different. I love the new rule sets they introduced although I can only have 1 rare in my deck which is bullshit. And also the drop rates of new cards from NPCs for beating them seems ridiculously low unless I'm missing something!

I'll be on the rest of the evening so hit me up, and yes Hogg it would be fun to have some company for some dungeons etc, if anyone has any level 30ish characters on Moogle, or don't mind redoing old dungeons when I come across them, feel free to join too!

• Upvote 1