rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Hah! :D

Just did the Great Gubal Library for the first time in a group that had never done it before. Guess what one of our dps was? Actually went well and had a lot of fun working it out. Badly needs shortcuts to the actual bosses though for wipes.

I thought of trying Savage Eden raids. After half way through a video of the first boss, I decided against it. There's many mechanics that basically spell "wipe" :lol: 

The Starter Edition (base game only) is currently free on PSN until May 26th, comes with 30 days playtime.

If you don't have the PS4 version registered to your account, you can add it and also get the 30 days, but you need a PS4 to do it.

• Upvote 6

Finally made it,the story is brilliant.bit bummed that some(all?) Of the voices have chamged. Then I read about the voice actor who played yugiri was killed in 2015 by her husband.

Shit

PS_Messages_20200524_001337.jpg

• Empathy 1

I have been playing this, and for some reason was on a US server.

I just ported over to Moogle and it is such a culture shock! Newbie Network is all French folk being incomprehensible and things in the market are all priced wrong!

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/26201814/

are there hunt linkshells I can get into? Any Discords that are worth joining? I would join the muk group if it is still around, tho maybe I will try and find a bigger one.

You’re playing fraggle?! Even more reason for me to come back! 

• Upvote 1

Holyhogg, I just started Heavensward the other day too! Loving it so far after the horrible grind of realm reborn and the inbetween stuff. Then to my horror I discovered they're tightening up a lot of that grind in the next patch - grrrrr. But hey, I got it to keep me sane in lockdown and its done a good job of that so far. Realm Reborn and its post-game overall isn't bad by any means, but the main story quest really drags and doesn't hold up well to play it non-stop like I have. The highlights are the dungeons and environments, the writing is good but the story itself takes ages to get going, and even then isn't very interesting. Also its very easy as you are constantly overlevelled and overgeared thanks to all the subsequent exp boosts since release. But its all a leadup to the expansions which so far are living up to the hype with the story getting much more interesting and the characters and writing better. The HW environments are awesome and the story is engaging so far, with good characters and the pacing is much, much better with far fewer crappy quests. 

The voice acting change was very jarring for me too and I was gutted about some of the actor losses, like Melwyb who was awesome, Yda and Alipheau, who I wasn't super keen on but as he talks so much its very strange for him to have a different voice now. I read up on it and apparently they changed voice acting companies after realm reborn which is why hardly any of the original cast return. On the plus side some of the voices are great and from what I read, the voice acting quality is a lot better overall. There were some really dubious voices in the original, people like Minfilia for example. It will definitely take time to get used to though.

I joined a friendly FC on Moogle but as you can imagine there aren't many other newbs around. The duty finder is great though and I never have problems getting into dungeons, even as DPS. Even if the queues are quite long sometimes its usually not a problem at all as you can just plough on with the story, side quests, gold saucer, hunting log, or just hang out with FC members. The only thing that bothers me from the social side is that there is no point in partying up on the overworld as its more geared around solo play, particularly the quest balancing is just way too easy with multiple members. There's no real reason to party up outside of dungeons and raids, which is a big shame as it was a great way to meet people in FFXI and very necessary to actually carve a path from A to B.

It will be interesting to see if the patch makes Realm Reborn much better. Personally I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as its so easy and overall quite boring, but that's if you just go for the main story. The problem is that you learn so much about the world and the characters, just jumping ahead with a level skip potion to an expansion I imagine will lose a lot of the experience. You can watch old cutscenes in a book in the inn (including I've been told if you use the level skip potions), but there are so many other incidental conversations and cutscenes you would probably miss a lot.

• Upvote 1

Right then. I'm ready for the inevitable buy bullshit items with Tomestones and Gil to upgrade your relic stage.

image.png.5498a0f5cb8bc389c89e6d5f2015841d.png

The news of the new free trial has intrigued me. I'm thinking of dipping my toes in. Any pointers for someone who played some XI about 15 years ago but hasn't tried XIV yet?

2 minutes ago, revlob said:

The news of the new free trial has intrigued me. I'm thinking of dipping my toes in. Any pointers for someone who played some XI about 15 years ago but hasn't tried XIV yet?

It's literally a billion times more player friendly than XI was. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, revlob said:

If you want to play with other people one of the the main things to pay attention to is the Data Center (in Europe either Chaos or Light) as that determines who you can play with. Ultimately you can pay to move worlds if you feel you've made a totally wrong decision.

With respect to classes I don't think you can really go wrong. Tanks and healers have the shortest queue times for dungeons etc. but tanks are usually expected to set the pace (trickier when you don't know the content) and healers have the responsibility of keeping people alive, but generally people are pretty nice if you say it's your first time. DPS have longer queue times but it's probably not going to be a huge deal if you're going through the story.

The only issues I've had with queues as DPS is trying to do the Binding Coil trials, but that's probably down to me queueing them as sync'd

unknown.png?width=1207&height=679

Hurrah, finally got E8S down last night in typical fashion being the last pull of the night, about 2 seconds before enrage and with 34 seconds left on the clock for the instance timer. It's only taken 3 months. Did get top 50 SCH healing for that fight though, not that anyone cares about healing :( Just need that Ramuh mount now...

1 hour ago, wev said:

The only issues I've had with queues as DPS is trying to do the Binding Coil trials, but that's probably down to me queueing them as sync'd

Do you mean queue for them as in actually try and queue for them in the group finder or looking for a group in the party finder (or making your own)? You'll almost never get a group doing the former. I think I heard that they're looking at adjusting the fights or making an easier mode though so they can add them to the normal raid roulette. I only ever got ran through them at level 70 so i'd like to do them at an appropriate level but I think some are still supposed to be pretty tough and would need practising over a number of nights if you're sync'd down.

I use the default Duty Finder, been told if I turn level syncing then ill have more luck but got loads of other trials and dungeons

I'm a wizard!*

*A conjurer. Just hit level 15 and completed the Novice missions.

This is all very pleasant, if slightly overwhelming. It feels like there's almost too much stuff to do, but so far the game has been very generous with rewards and help. I'm levelling up faster than the content being served. I think I can cope with not doing every single levequest for completion's sake, just about. The new player experience is very good at showing me the ropes, and the in-game help is more than adequate at explaining the systems, so far.

I like being able to take a break from killing stuff and go chop some trees and saw the logs into planks and then make newbie gear with the materials. Very relaxing. Already I want to try all the trade disciplines, but I've yet to leave the Shroud surrounding Gridania. At what point will I be able to visit the other starter towns so that I can start their classes? I'm reminded of being taxied to Jeuno so many years ago.

• Upvote 2

There’s a point in the main story where it sends you to the other capital cities :)

Pleased you’re enjoying it, it’s lovely just being able to potter in the world sometimes.

@revlob I think you're on the cusp of going to other cities.

Are you on Moogle? If so let me know your character name and I'll invite you to the linkshell. 

I've given up on my Behemoth server character. The group I was playing there as a part of started bending the rules of the restart (follow the story, don't touch your main job outside of Saturdays, a few others) and I was feeling stressed about catching up all the time and neglecting my main on Moogle. I took a couple of weeks away from the game and am now happy to be back and doing the post Stormblood content.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wev said:

@revlob Are you on Moogle? If so let me know your character name and I'll invite you to the linkshell.

Yes please! My character's name is Daevos Deal.

4 hours ago, revlob said:

Yes please! My character's name is Daevos Deal.

Cool, I'm on for a couple of hours from now. Whenever you're on search for Reii Tali and add me as a friend

• Upvote 1

Going to a .ru domain... Who do they think we are? Choddo?

• Upvote 1