IGNORED

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Mace Masterson

I think it's only for new accounts. 

No need to worry about being a bad player on Duty Finder, I died four times on the last Stormblood dungeon and nobody said anything:unsure:

Edit: admittedly I'm a dragoon so it's expected 

29 minutes ago, wev said:

I think it's only for new accounts. 

No need to worry about being a bad player on Duty Finder, I died four times on the last Stormblood dungeon and nobody said anything:unsure:

Edit: admittedly I'm a dragoon so it's expected 

Ah of course that makes sense! I could just start again I guess. It’s a return campaign I’d need. I keep missing them!

I fired it up the other day and it let me jump in with my old character...a level 20 conjurer cat lady. She's from a previous trial though, so that probably makes a difference? Why I'm a conjurer I don't know... I didn't play for long as I would need to put so much time into relearning the interface and setting up macros for each job, with armour sets, etc.

3 hours ago, Laine said:

Ah of course that makes sense! I could just start again I guess. It’s a return campaign I’d need. I keep missing them!

14 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I fired it up the other day and it let me jump in with my old character...a level 20 conjurer cat lady. She's from a previous trial though, so that probably makes a difference? Why I'm a conjurer I don't know... I didn't play for long as I would need to put so much time into relearning the interface and setting up macros for each job, with armour sets, etc.

Just start a new account. Can you say no to this face?

Spoiler

4621687.thumb.jpg.3bc78b0222522954c43f534d112af383.jpg

Oh and also, I tried our the whole "let NPC's join you" for the first dungeon, er no. I'll stick to playing with ransoms because even though none of us had run that dungeon to completion and even though the healer was somehow new to that role (is it possible to be level 70-something and be inexperienced in a role?) It was so much more satisfying and I felt like I just had to focus on my job rather than try and predict what the AI was going to do. Yeah let's all run to the centre of the map for a stack when I was stood right fucking next to you... Pollock's.

I just did the 'It's Probably Pirates' duty thing in some caves with three randos and as expected I was hilariously bad. I decided to switch to pad and I was learning the controls as I went. I think I have a couple moves that weren't even assigned to buttons. The biggest struggle was targetting, half the time I had no idea who or what I was aiming at. I cured and raised my team a few times, but otherwise I imagined them cursing my incompetence. Not a word was spoken during or after...but at least they managed to carry me through to the end. I still have no idea what I'm doing. What's this need/greed/pass thing? I feel bad if I choose greed...

Ok, just did the Tam Tam Deepcroft or whatever and some guy says to me at the start, "Are you good for bigger pulls?" and I have no idea what he's talking about, so I say, "Probably not" :lol:

But then it sorta clicked and I just spammed cure on the guy the entire run. Enemies totally ignore me for some reason? Anyway, for all my glory I won a 'Rope Belt'...

image.png.6c12f41938ac152e3126d2ad80c3a6e3.png

Which just made me think...

image.png.bfb057bda67ebea680ef5a6a6b2804e8.png

Need/Greed/Pass is for loot. Do you need it for your job, is it a mount or a minion that you don't have? Click Need. Just want the item? Click Greed (I think some do this for their alt jobs or just to sell), otherwise click Pass

6 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Ok, just did the Tam Tam Deepcroft or whatever and some guy says to me at the start, "Are you good for bigger pulls?" and I have no idea what he's talking about, so I say, "Probably not" :lol:

But then it sorta clicked and I just spammed cure on the guy the entire run. Enemies totally ignore me for some reason? Anyway, for all my glory I won a 'Rope Belt'...

image.png.6c12f41938ac152e3126d2ad80c3a6e3.png

Which just made me think...

image.png.bfb057bda67ebea680ef5a6a6b2804e8.png

Bigger pulls will be him dragging lots of things to kill towards the party all at once. He'll be drawing most of the attacks, maybe some of the DPS are too, healers are usually far enough away from the action not to be bothered much

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

I just did the 'It's Probably Pirates' duty thing in some caves with three randos and as expected I was hilariously bad. I decided to switch to pad and I was learning the controls as I went. I think I have a couple moves that weren't even assigned to buttons. The biggest struggle was targetting, half the time I had no idea who or what I was aiming at. I cured and raised my team a few times, but otherwise I imagined them cursing my incompetence. Not a word was spoken during or after...but at least they managed to carry me through to the end. I still have no idea what I'm doing. What's this need/greed/pass thing? I feel bad if I choose greed...

You can only choose Need for drops that match the class or job that you're currently playing. It will guarantee you get the drop if nobody else chooses Need as well, which as the sole healer when running dungeons should always be the case.

Anyone can roll Greed on any drop and it will be decided by an RNG roll as long as nobody else has rolled Need.

Pass is self-explanatory.

No need to feel bad about any roll you make as everyone else is playing the same game and you'll end up with more gear than you know what to do with.

Yeah, it all clicked in the end. I think my targetting on the pad is a bit dodgy though, half the time I can't seem to aim at fellow players.

Does the loot thing work like a vote then? Can more than one person pick need or greed and the system randomly selects, or is it first come, first serve?

2 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Yeah, it all clicked in the end. I think my targetting on the pad is a bit dodgy though, half the time I can't seem to aim at fellow players.

Does the loot thing work like a vote then? Can more than one person pick need or greed and the system randomly selects, or is it first come, first serve?

If there are multiple people who choose the same option then it will make an RNG roll for each player (you'll see the result down in the chat window). Whoever gets the highest roll will get the item.

With regards to targeting on a pad: use the D-Pad Up and Down to flick through the party list and then press X to hard target the player you want. Hold L2 or R2 and then press L1 or R1 to flick between enemy targets. There's more to it than that with things like soft and focus targeting but those are the basics.

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

I really struggled with this until I started locking my targeting to the tank, then using up and down on the d-pad to cycle through the other members (without pressing X to change your target lock on to them) for occasional healing when they needed it. Once all of my heals were going to the tank by default, everything became a lot more manageable. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you can also then use left and right on the d-pad to target enemies for offensive spells too. 

Yeah, I thought there was some strange targeting behaviour going on where it would default back to the tank...that's because I locked to them with a click of the stick? I was trying to cast the odd offensive spell when I got the chance, but it just didn't seem worth the fuss of switching targets. So, up and down is for comrades, left and right for enemies. That should come in useful. :D

It's quite bewildering. I've played FFXIV trials a couple of times over the years but I never dipped into the multiplayer much, I would prefer to just potter around and explore. I actually played the beta test in 2010 when it was mostly empty copy/pasted areas with janky controls and people were convincing themselves the issues would be ironed out before release. Oops.

Dipped my toe in this for the first time and it's very enjoyable. I played FF11 many years ago but didn't really get on with it so was really worried I wouldn't get on with this. 

Is there some sort of rllmuk group/linkshell I can join on moogle?

From memory, it’s this:

Free Company. The guild. You can only be part of one. The FC has benefits like exp increase when mining or whatever, and a shared bank/vault.

Linkshell. A community that’s players. You can be part of many Linkshells. It’s a great way to be and keep in touch with friends and/or good players you bumped into in a dungeon.

There's a Yokai Watch crossover event that's started today. Also, make sure you do the summer event before the 26th as that's when that goes.

Moonfire Faire event details:

rWnk4vaEbx-JgsOGdrVaA6P5gc.thumb.jpg.cfb678ecef8411f9e268aac31e068730.jpg

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2020/Moonfire_Faire/d5130d4b53

Yokai Watch event details

BCkn0unSWQqIhjqrVOh6L2abU8.png.cc67b57b164b0cdbb489f502b44adaca.png

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2020/youkai-watch/vdnaiga67o

There's 17 minions to collect, plus weapons for each job and a mount!

33 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Is there a quick way of getting to that Waking Sands place in Thanalan? Trekking from the Horizon aetheryte thing over and over is getting a bit tiresome. 2012 problems? I guess I just have to wait for my dragon steed... :unsure:

Theres a few:

• The way you're already doing it
  • Going to the same place and taking a chocobo porter (giving you just enough time to make a cuppa)
  • Going to Limsa Lominsa and taking a ferry to Vesper Bay (which is where the Waking Sands is)
  • lastly, I think Squeenix have given out some kind of travel ticket that you can use that takes you straight there?

I found a whole thread on Reddit complaining about that particular hike. :lol: You're right, there is some teleport ticket now, but I think they cost seals from a Grand Company (I just joined Twin Adders)? I don't have any yet... Looking around, the ferry method seems the best at this point.

Anyway, I've been playing all afternoon, running back and forth doing main quest stuff around Camp Drybones. I fought Ifrit (I think?) at one point, which was nice. I'm finally getting to grips with how selections work. You lock by hitting A (Xbox pad), not the thumb stick which locks the camera. It's pretty fiddly stuff. I've no idea how you're meant to deal with those Fate things, where about fifty players on various huge creatures swoop in and the screen is just a blur of particle effects. I can't target anything. Oh well, free XP? :blink2:

So how does this event work? I've earned 10 medals so far but not the special ones. I've use a standard medal to buy a minion, specifically the ones this spreadsheet says is for my jobs weapon

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v0WSYddatxopqSOIl92g1c0zdsctE5NdAL5Pe3G1wso/htmlview?pru=AAABdCoMwic*bUzhS9klGXYBr-7lW2P3WQ#

Do I have to then summon that minion for when I'm doing FATEs to get the specific medals for the weapon?