Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Mace Masterson

This game is just so good. I did the long slog up to Heavensward back in 2019 but had totally forgotten everything and so took advantage of the Road to 70 double XP thing by starting a new character on Spriggan and spending £8 to skip the ARR story. It's crazy how quickly you can progress with a flying chocobo, all the teleports unlocked, instant queue times and double XP for everything. 

After a few days play I'm now at level 45 with the first pieces of my WHM artefact armour. I didn't get on with healing when I tried it back in 2019 as an AST. I think the extra level of complexity from the cards was overwhelming me a bit but CNJ and WHM has been the sweet spot. 

I'm really looking forward to doing Heavensward properly once I hit 50, I fell off it at level 55 first time around as a Bard but am determined to see it through this time. 

On 16/07/2021 at 12:02, Melon_Bread said:

Shame, I moved from Moogle when everyone stopped playing and the general chat seemed to be mainly in French.

You're on Omega though? That's the same data centre as Moogle (Chaos)

Managed to level my Samurai up to level 60. Took no time at all and now I have a level appropriate class to do all the Stormblood MSQ with. 
I’ll switch to my tank (lvl 75 Dark Knight) any time the duty queues annoy me :)

Turned out I have 14 days of play time I can use. Have a character on Moogle but have not played for several years so thinking I might just start a new one to play around with.

Last one was a Conjurer? Still OK to play or are there "better" and more "fun" classes to play?

On 15/07/2021 at 11:57, ThePixelbarks said:

Oh brilliant! 

We're Aberlour Spey and Rothes Spey on Omega.

What world?irritatingly you have to be on the same world for search to find people.... there really are some weird inconstancies in the game still!

Keen to jump into this, but totally unfamiliar with it. Are there any guides I should follow? The first post seems to be updated 2013and the rllmuk links seem dead now.

I wouldn't say you need a guide, just download the trial and play away!

Also Make it Rain campaign started today so if newer players haven't unlocked the Golden Saucer get that done!

All worlds in Europe say they are closed for new character creation. Have I picked some maintenance window to try and start playing?

Edit: At all time play count high...

20 minutes ago, pledge said:

All worlds in Europe say they are closed for new character creation. Have I picked some maintenance window to try and start playing?

There is an event on from today and I think a free login campaign running at the moment, plus the game has gone crazy on twitch the last few weeks.

You'll need to try again, probably at an off-peak time. This is my current queue to log in...

ffxiv.png.d0b3039c4da8e19776a626dd9a1edeb9.png

Not seen this since Shadowbringers launch day.

Note there is actually maintainance tomorrow for a new patch from 02:00-11:00.

I suppose it’s the inevitable consequence of playing through multiple releases back to back but I couldn’t help to be disappointed that my beautiful White Mage artefact robes blessed by the ghost of the great prophet were immediately outclassed 10 minutes later by a hideous jester costume given to me as a reward to taking the Ishgard city tour. 

10 hours ago, Pungee said:

I suppose it’s the inevitable consequence of playing through multiple releases back to back but I couldn’t help to be disappointed that my beautiful White Mage artefact robes blessed by the ghost of the great prophet were immediately outclassed 10 minutes later by a hideous jester costume given to me as a reward to taking the Ishgard city tour. 

Like @fragglerocksays, it's Glamour time, welcome to the true end game

A couple of questions for the gang:

Healers - do you use a different class for solo main story quests? As a 50-something WHM I'm not exactly an offensive powerhouse (even with my companion chocobo) and so I find a lot of the fights for the MSQ slow going. Since I have the double XP buff, I'm tempted to use a DPS job for these and switch back to WHM for instant queue dungeons. I like the look of NIN, but getting it up to level 50 with a 10-15 minute queue for each dungeon run isn't exactly appealing. 

Everyone - I find that switching to any of the expansion jobs can be hugely overwhelming with a full hotbar of actions thrown at you at once (even at the level 30 jobs I've unlocked at Heavensward). What's the best approach for getting used to these? I thought about clearing the bar for everything above level 15 and starting from Sastasha again and then adding skills back gradually but wonder if there's something in-game to help you get used to these newer jobs. 

I'm not a healer but regarding your first question. Are you failing solo duties or is it that everything takes a while? If it's the former the game (on certain ones) ask you if you want to drop the difficulty, there's no punishment for doing so, you still get the same exp and rewards.

Re the last point. You can do that, but also googling the rotation for your level can also help (though sometimes they're outdated) and practising on a Striking Dummy to learn the rotation is great. Also unlocking and running Palace of the Dead (which I think starts in Quarrymill?) is a good way to learn.

I just powered through as WHM, it can be a bit slow, but if I ever failed things I instantly set it to SUPER EASY.

For higher jobs you can try going into Palace of the dead where you start at 1 and there is a separate and faster levelling system. You also get real experience for every 10 levels you clear. And a spooky story!

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Palace_of_the_Dead

else running a few low level dungeons is probably a reasonable approach (or just pile in an yolo it!)

Thanks both. I’m not failing solo duties, just finding them a bit slow with stone/aero/holy not doing a ton of damage and my ability to heal myself removing any sort of danger. 

I’ve not tried Palace of the Dead. Will definitely check that out. 

Since I'm between MMOs at the moment (I play BDO mostly afk at the moment) I decided to come back for a few months and see if I can get up to date with expansions. I left off somewhere between Heavensward and Stormblood.

On 19/07/2021 at 19:51, pledge said:

I can recommend going for it pre-9am or midnight. That’s what I did.