IGNORED

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Mace Masterson

I finished Stormblood and the 4.x quests.

Spoiler

Though I really enjoyed it overall, the two halves of the expansion felt uneven. While the Ala Mhigo side of things seemed to play out in identical brown zones (I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between The Fringes, The Peaks, The Lochs etc.), the Othard stuff out in the far east was fantastic. I absolutely loved Kugane, the Ruby Sea and especially the Azim Steppe. The visuals, music and characters in these areas all seemed much more interesting and felt like they had a lot more focus from SE. 

I thought the villains were excellent, Yotsuyu especially. I knew they were setting up a return for her and Gosetsu when they make a big deal about not being able to find their bodies after Doma Castle and, though I wasn't sold on the memory loss thing, I did very much enjoy how it ended and her killing that little weiner Asahi. I think generally the writing does a good job of showing how broken and downtrodden the Doman's have become after years of imperial rule and I'm glad that not everyone immediately rushes to join your cause. I also don't understand a lot of the negativity towards Lyse that I've read. I thought she was absolutely fine.

I also really enjoyed the dungeon/trial content. Stuff like Shisui of the Violet Tides has no business looking so good for a last gen game this old, and running through the Ghimlyt Dark fighting alongside all the alliance leaders was a real thrill.

All set for Shadowbringers now. Everything I've read suggests this is easily the best expansion so I can't wait to get stuck in and try to finish it before Endwalker. I really want  to try and experience an expansion when it is current for the first time 🙌

re Lyse:

Spoiler

I think a lot of the issues with her comes from how they try to do so much in such a short amount of time. She's 'introduced' really jarringly and doesn't really feel like a continuation of someone that we already knew but a whole new character. It's not helped by her not really doing much throughout 2.0, vanishing at the end of 2.5 and then doesn't come back until 3.4 or something and then that's, as with everyone else, a whole different voice actor. They completely change her look and it feels a little unearned maybe her becoming the co-leader of Ala Mhigo after a fairly brief jaunt to Doma. I think it might have all worked and flowed a little better if they could have perhaps kept her around along with Alphinaud and Tataru throughout Heavensward when both those characters get a lot more development.

Pretty much my feelings on Stormblood as well. You might be interested to note that the writer for the Doman side is also the revered writer for the Shadowbringers storyline. Also don't miss the post Stormblood side quest that has a bunch of bosses to fight, I forget the name and where it starts but I'm sure someone here will know!

It's so jarring when you move between expansions and the quest accept/complete sounds change, isn't it? I have the Stormblood quest complete one playing in my head for about 50% of the time I'm awake and it's becoming a real problem for me. 

I can't get enough of that Ala Mhigan national anthem tune. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got massively sidetracked in my quest to complete Shadowbringers in time for Endwalker by moving house at extremely short notice, but I've been back on it recently. 

The trust system for story dungeons is SO good. Big fan of jumping straight in to Holminster Switch as a DPS with no queue, taking my time and learning the mechanics then going back to it as a Healer with a real group later with a better understanding of what I'm doing and how not to die. 

Gorgeous start to the expansion too. The too-much-light design, the marble statue look of the Sin Eaters, the first time you recreate the title screen after killing the first dungeon boss 🤌

16 minutes ago, RabMyself said:

I’m currently giving this a blast on Moogle, using the free trial. How much of the game can I play before I have to subscribe? I’m currently a lv24 gladiator and have just been ploughing through my MQS and job quests having great fun.

You can play up to lvl 60 and till the end of the first expansion (Heavensward).

1 hour ago, RabMyself said:

Nice, that’s quite a bit of content for free!

Yeah, there’s a couple of restrictions that make it a bit of a pain if you try to play with a friend who is also on a trial such as the inability to create parties (you can join them tho). Overall it’s a great intro to the game and managed to get me and 2 mates absolutely hooked.

My plan to complete everything in time for Endwalker seems like it is not going to work out. Despite playing daily since August I am still only at the end of the MSQ for Stormblood, so I still have Legend Returns and all of Shadowbringers. Feels impossible I'll do that in 23 days.

Question for the gang: how far into Shadowbringers is it when people started to really be wow-ed by the story? I've read nothing but gushing praise for the ShB story but am struggling a bit at the moment, but I feel like I might just be in the Gyr Abania equivalent bits of this expansion where it's a bit slower. Spoilers for up to the level 75 MSQs:

Spoiler

I'm on the trail of the third Lightwarden in Rak'Tika Greatwood and Eulmore have just turned up and started making threats. 

It's been enjoyable but maybe I set my expectations a little bit too high after reading the unanimous praise for the storyline. I feel like there's some interesting stuff being teased (Y'shtola and Urianger's conversation about me being corrupted by absorbing the Lightwardens) but the recent sections have felt very samey and not the big step up from Stormblood I was expecting. I imagine things will get more interesting once Emet-Selch starts being a proper antagonist, but I guess I'm half way through (based on the MSQ level requirements) and not a lot of big stuff is happening yet. 

Without getting into specifics, how far away am I from the real 'wow' stuff? Or am I already in it and just expecting too much?

Can't remember the exact point, I really liked all of Shadowbringers right from the get go. That said, both Heavensward and Stormblood bored me to bits so all Shadowbringers has to be was decent for me to be impressed.

Keep playing, there's some neat twists and turns.

SHB starts a bit slower with you being sent off to 

Spoiler

spoiler reunite the gang across the different zones in whatever order you want

SHB had a lovely start IMO and did great at making/exploring a strange different world - but it's loved for how it pulls together plot threads and answers questions.

I'd think it starts picking up "wow-momentum" from where you are (it's quite a long stretch) as your interactions with Emet are (largely) what drive the love.

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

My tank really let my party down on one of the post-Stormblood patch bosses last night. Was getting slated in the chat. Felt bad, man 😞 

Conversely, my (new) Paladin just proved his worth in a level 60 dungeon after our healer kept getting murdered by the bosses. I’m the healer now!

Being able to actually heal a party and tank the damage at the same time… 😍

On 28/09/2021 at 11:20, Pungee said:

I finished Stormblood and the 4.x quests.

How did you find the Will of the Moon? I had to repeat it far too many times (and even on very easy). Seemed like a big jump in difficulty with zero checkpoints. There was little indication what you were meant to be doing on the last phase and it changed to a type of character I'd never used. I ended up rage quitting a few times.

7 hours ago, df0 said:

Aye. Dive bomb phase, jaysus.

That was fun back when it was current content, somebody with a potato connection would always mess up the pit timing. I was annoyed that I got the weapon, but it didn't even have any extra damage over the relic.

These days you can just face tank it unlocked in the middle of the arena. :lol: