IGNORED

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Mace Masterson

Took me 3 and a half hours in queue but got there in the end. Pretty chilled so far, similar to Heavensward early pacing. Seen two of the new environments which are really nice, chilled music, plenty of character work. New NPC stuff helps it feel more immersive. Cutscenes have stepped up a little in quality again with more subtleties to facial animation and more with camera angles rather than people just standing around stiff in the non voice acted ones. I like the story that's being set up so far. It's a slow pace especially with the route I took, but I was anticipating that and am all for it, after all we know they usually pay off all the legwork. An enjoyable time so far with characters we like and nice locations to enjoy.

Late evening the queues apparently dropped dramatically so if you are a night owl that's when t hop in. Not looking forward to dungeons though, people in Shout chat were warning the queues are insane especially for DPS. There is a serious shortage of tanks and the new jobs are healer and dps. One guy said his mate took him ten hours in queue for the first dungeon! If its that bad, hopefully the Trust system will be up and running so at least we won't be gated by multiplayer restrictions.

The opening is slow 🙃 Talk, talk, cutscene, "waiting", use object, talk, cutscene. And now I'm trying to help a fishmonger sell fish.

Hold on with the story lads, I'm gonna spend some time in the wilderness killing beasties and participating in FATES.

I had a queue of 30 at 10am, stayed on till 2pm but needed to have a nap, trying to log back in now and its 6k :lol:

I thnk they said on Lodestone theyve not seen numbers like this since ARR launch

Got the lobby error after reaching the end of queue, through 5500 people and 2.5 hours waiting, grrr. Trying again now, it's midnight and the queue is down to 1500 and moving faster. If only Covid hadn't stopped them getting new servers, hopefully this won't put newcomers off the game but it's definitely not a great look. And this is the pre-order version, I wonder how bad it will get when the game's released on the 7th - though presumably the majority of regular players will have pre-ordered.

1 hour ago, palaver said:

The secret is to log in first thing in the morning and then not log out.

It feels like it starts kind of slow but when they put their foot on the accelerator...umm...it goes places.

Yeah I can't get in. 4000 queue. My partner had no problems logging in, probably because she logged in just pre dawn.

Managed to get in around midnight last night, and stayed up till 4am. Got to the first dungeon and because of the time got an instaqueue which was nice, even though my eyes were drooping by then! Its definitely a very slow start to the MSQ, maybe 6-8 hours of world building and exploration rather than much high drama. But I have been happy to just sit back and relax doing it late at night. Since previous expansions I have learned to just take it slow and not get frustrated waiting for big plot stuff/combat to happen, athough I think some people will definitely be put off by this slow start (even relative to past expansions there is very little combat on the main track so far).

Looks like things are picking up now pacing-wise though. The first dungeon has some great boss fights and is another example of layering on difficulty for veteran players, which is challenging but refreshing. Its nice for once to not be overlevelled for MSQ content and although me and the randoms didn't wipe, we came close a few times, especially on the last boss. Of course people are trying out the new jobs, our Sage was definitely struggling a bit!

One thing I've noticed in settlements is that there is even more variation in NPC ambient behaviour, there's loads of little actions the townsfolk do rather than just stand still, which helps make the places feel a bit more authentic. Like kids talking in a group and running off together, or people coming out of buildings hauling supplies, or pushing trolleys. 

Dont miss the sightseeing questgiver in the first area, if thats your jam!

On 03/12/2021 at 19:12, layten said:

2 hours later.

image.png.da6ccb5a8ccca05a4898e9b5a2c13f20.png

Extremely anecdotal evidence here, but I've consistently been able to connect on my PS5 (after sitting through the queue) but have errored out with this 2002 error multiple times trying to play on PC.