IGNORED

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Mace Masterson

Got 2 lobby errors last night pushing my login time to about 4 hours. One poor FC member went from 1 place left in queue back down to 7000 thanks to a lobby error! Another FC member says that if you reconnect fast enough after a lobby error you can regain your place in the queue.

Anyway, things really pick up after the first dungeon and there's some awesome moments in the following hours. Very much hooked now and can't wait to see where things go. Up to level 83. 

When is this going to blow over? I’m not going to wait in one of these big 7K+ queues, ever, because of the error inevitability. Am I going to get another shot of the game before the year is out? I just want to finish Shadowbringers, happy to leave Endwalker until the new year.

I want to play Dragon Quest XI over Christmas, ideally with Shadowbringers +patches all wrapped up ☹️ Gonna be a cunt going back to it after a lengthy layoff. Plus I’m getting the Shadowbringers art books for Christmas. Won’t be able to look at them now because of spoilers. First world problems, I know (that world being Moogle).

Playing (queueing) on Moogle, queues in the morning are minimal, 20 or 50 people. Evenings are insane, currently 7k+ . Just not going to happen is it. I don't get how this always seem to happen. Surely they could've foreseen these numbers and planned for it?

Heavensward launches - SE: Who could have seen these login numbers coming?

Stormblood launches - SE: Who could have seen these login numbers coming?

Shadowbringers launches - SE: Who could have seen these login numbers coming?

Endwalker launches - SE: Who could have seen these login numbers coming?

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Covid related chip shortages fucked their plans for building more servers, seemingly 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I recently bought a bunch of fuckoff massive servers from Dell. Nothing had a longer than 14 day lead time. That's a piss poor excuse if that is what they are saying.

Another option would have been to rent capacity from AWS or Azure to handle the initial few weeks surge. This is all just a lack of planning on the part of SE for which they have no excuses as it has got worse at each expansion launch.

It’s impossible for me to play this game as it stands. Come home from work to queues of 7k+ with it taking a hour to drop 1k places to then only hit the inevitable 2002 error and having to start over again.

I can only assume it’s only going to get worse before it gets better as the game has yet to launch officially?

58 minutes ago, layten said:

I recently bought a bunch of fuckoff massive servers from Dell. Nothing had a longer than 14 day lead time. That's a piss poor excuse if that is what they are saying.

Cool, we've currently got an Unknown ETA for switches in the NHS. Same thing for iPads, and our framework distributor for laptops has an 8 month ETA (And yet somehow, they won the contract again). 

I just wanted to vent.

1 hour ago, ThePixelbarks said:

Cool, we've currently got an Unknown ETA for switches in the NHS.

Had a 90 day lead time on some 100 and 25gig switches, but even then SE had long enough to get something into place ready for what they must have known would be a huge spike in users.

Used a NHS framework to buy it all as well :lol: (sorry)

Planning ahead to play after 7pm and so just jumped on a 5000+ queue. Yikes.
I just need to finish 5.2 and 5.3 over the next week but I keep getting distracted with silly ideas like levelling a Gunbreaker or starting Paladin from level 1 👀

And that's the MSQ done.

Probably more consistent that Shb - but it never quite hits the same massive high points - it comes close though.

As a single player RPG story though it's pretty satisfying -it's gone full Final Fantasy though, and no one could have predicted the beats of the story. The zones, dungeons and trials are all well designed and different.

There's some visually impressive areas throughout but the last zone/trial is stunning. The skybox and lighting team. So many screenshots taken.

Music is amazing as always. Though a couple of bits are overused (one of the trailer musics is used too much. They obviously saw the reaction to when Shadowbringers kicked in the end of the last expac, but it happiness a lot more here to the point it's almost overused/oversaturated)

Does feel like an "ending" though - curious to see where they go,

21 hours ago, layten said:

Also, "In from the cold" can fuck the fuck off, and when it has finished fucking off, it can fuck off a bit more.

I thought this was a great quest.

Spoiler

I was a bit worried when I saw the timer but it ended up being incredibly generous and the only mobs I needed to fight were the ones you couldn't avoid at the start and the end.

Losing interest in the MSQ at a rapid pace. 88+ spoiler area, be warned.

Spoiler

That whole Emet-Selch plot/area is the worst. The character in interesting and I am eager to learn what made him turn. Problem is, the way it is told. Text after text after quirky cutscene after more text. Now go look at flowers with a young girl and read all of her responses. /wave at Emet-Selch. Now go ask questions to people. Now go ask someone else. Talk to this person over there, talk to that person over yonder.

I seem to remember people getting slaughtered a while back in the real world. Something to do with the Final Days. But sure, this whole area seems like a good way to spend my time.

I did the second dungeon last night and into the next area. Just wow. The lead up to this part I really liked as well with some pure feel good moments for people that played through the whole saga. Definitely a big step up from the slow start and looking forward (and very curious) what the rest has to offer especially storywise.

Good to hear your impressions Hexx, I think people have been pretty delusional about reaching the highest heights of Shadowbringers in every expansion but if it comes close that's good enough for me. Even Shadowbringers had its low points too and a bit overkill on the cheese/dramatic, but when it worked it worked very well. I've been a bit dissapointed in the music in the first part of the game but its been getting better with some lovely piano pieces lately and some fire dungeon music.

As for login times, when I'm not working I log in around 6pm and usually get on through queue around 10pm accounting for login errors etc. I just do other stuff or other games in the meantime. On working days though I'll have to wait till midnight probably to have a chance of logging in as I don't get home till late. RIP my msq!

For anyone into glam, I heard that they have glasses you can wear with a hat now, purchasable at the golden saucer with MGP.

Also I discovered last night that some of the normal quest givers (the chores that give you xp and gil usually) in endwalker actually offer gear as rewards, so get clicking on those icons to check the rewards. Might be some decent glam in there and I even got some earrings that were better than the msq/latest dungeon had handed out.

3 hours ago, layten said:

When you go AFK and forget to put on trousers.

:lol: I like to look at it as being half ready for the beach. Don't want to mess around with my glamour plates and desperately waiting for a quest/dungeon with leg upgrades.

Annoying thing was I queue for a few hours and when I finally get in I have to soon log off, maybe tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Also I discovered last night that some of the normal quest givers (the chores that give you xp and gil usually) in endwalker actually offer gear as rewards, so get clicking on those icons to check the rewards. Might be some decent glam in there and I even got some earrings that were better than the msq/latest dungeon had handed out.

MSQ gives "left" column slots (head, chest, boots etc) and side quests give right column (necks,,rings etc) isn't it