IGNORED

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

Mace Masterson

Trials have regular and EX, Raids have Normal and Savage. The current ones are those under the high end tab. The 4 savage raid bosses will be added to that section when they're unlocked after Christmas and then they'll rotate out when a new patch is released.

It used to be that most of the trials had an EX mode and then for some reason the big main end of x.0 and x.3 trials were called Minstel's Ballad for their harder version but they seem to have just called them all that this time but the previous shorthand has stuck.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

Ok, so EX trials are (now) under High End?

edit: gonna give it a shot now, long queue for a tank though. 30 mins.

Don't queue, you won't get a group. Think only the JP data centre's queue up for them using Duty Finder. You want to look for a group using the Party Finder. The groups listed are under the High End Duty button you can filter them by.

Kicked out of a 4 hour queue and now at the back of a 5732 person queue. Fuck this shit, absolutely unacceptable, yet corporate apologist twats will go the bat excusing them because apparently SE are really upset at the shit show they are completely responsible for.

I might get to play for an hour or so today if I'm lucky.

19 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

This queuing is awful like. Why should I have to plan my day around wanting to jump into a game. I have only just started, but those paying monthly for this should be pretty upset. How anyone can defend them is bonkers. 

It's been shit at every expansion. Much worse this time as the game has got a lot more popular during Covid. Literally everyone apart from SE could see this coming. So what did they do? Did they use the time to prepare expanded server resources? Did they put a hold on sales as they couldn't manage the numbers they already had? Of course not, as either of those options would cost a bit of cash. Plus corporate apologists will go out to bat for them. I had to mute some my twitter feed due to bootlickers defending this shitshow.

You cant even log in and go do something else whilst sat in the queue, as at some point the queue will shit itself and if you are not quick enough at logging back in you will be sent right to the back.

Edit: After a 5 hour wait, I have been sat at 16 in the queue for 20 minutes. I expect it to shit itself shortly and to be sent to the back of a 6k+ queue.

I've only been logging in during the day on weekdays, not even trying in the evenings, if I'm able to log in before 10am on a weekend I'll do so but otherwise there's no point bothering.

It's fine, I'm in no rush. But I can see why people are getting pissed.

Besides by the time I can login properly there might be better healers for that first trial...

Yeah I've put Endwalker on hold for a bit unless I can fit in the odd late night play session (from about 10:30pm onwards the queues are short or non-existant). With christmas coming up and other games to play, I can't spend the time handholding my PS5 to check my queue status. All the late nighters beating the Endwalker queue also destroyed my sleep pattern so have to come back to reality!

I finished 5.3 and have questions. 

Spoiler

First off - amazing expansion overall. I totally get why everyone rates it as highly as they do. I do have questions, but I'm not sure if they are just things I'm not meant to know yet and are covered in Endwalker. Just tell me to wait if that's the case. 

Why would Emet-Selch save you from the Ascian death void place you get sent to during the final trial? (I assume it's him given the finger snapping and his walking-away-wave thing). Emet wants the rejoining to occur (or at least he did when we were fighting him) and Eldibus killing us would help make that happen, right? 

Was this Elidibus a child who was sacrificed to be Zodiark's heart? I feel like some of the echo scenes you see from Elidibus' POV he's being patronised/spoken to like a kid and the way he appears after the fight looks much more like our size than the giant lads in Amaurot. 

What was the cause of his confusion on what his motivation was and why before the big fight? He'd always seemed to have a good grasp on what he was doing and why before then but is obviously confused as to what Zodiark wants him to do (if it even is Zodiark he's referring to) in his speech before the trial. I wasn't sure if this was meant to be some kind of side effect of all the summoning he's been doing or something else. 

Not really a question I want answered now, but they seemed to heavily imply that the last of those constellation stone things belonged to our character originally, right? I'm sure Emet said at one point that our character was 'of the first' or something. I'd bet there's a point in Endwalker where your character lights up with one of those Ascian magic face symbol things 😲

Also not a question - Fandaniel is a bad name and whoever decided the Ascian bad guy at the culmination of all this should be called that should feel bad. 

4 hours ago, Straps said:

I had pretty much all of those questions as well. And a fair few more, in fairness, cos I do find myself zoning out when it starts to drag a little.

Also re. that name, it's utterly ridiculous, and I can't be the only one who thinks of:

http://youtu.be/XoGvH4kbRFA

I always hum the tune to ABBAs "Fernando"

16 hours ago, Pungee said:

Hide contents

First off - amazing expansion overall. I totally get why everyone rates it as highly as they do. I do have questions, but I'm not sure if they are just things I'm not meant to know yet and are covered in Endwalker. Just tell me to wait if that's the case. 

Why would Emet-Selch save you from the Ascian death void place you get sent to during the final trial? (I assume it's him given the finger snapping and his walking-away-wave thing). Emet wants the rejoining to occur (or at least he did when we were fighting him) and Eldibus killing us would help make that happen, right? 

Was this Elidibus a child who was sacrificed to be Zodiark's heart? I feel like some of the echo scenes you see from Elidibus' POV he's being patronised/spoken to like a kid and the way he appears after the fight looks much more like our size than the giant lads in Amaurot. 

What was the cause of his confusion on what his motivation was and why before the big fight? He'd always seemed to have a good grasp on what he was doing and why before then but is obviously confused as to what Zodiark wants him to do (if it even is Zodiark he's referring to) in his speech before the trial. I wasn't sure if this was meant to be some kind of side effect of all the summoning he's been doing or something else. 

Not really a question I want answered now, but they seemed to heavily imply that the last of those constellation stone things belonged to our character originally, right? I'm sure Emet said at one point that our character was 'of the first' or something. I'd bet there's a point in Endwalker where your character lights up with one of those Ascian magic face symbol things 😲

Also not a question - Fandaniel is a bad name and whoever decided the Ascian bad guy at the culmination of all this should be called that should feel bad. 

These might not all be 100% right as based on old memories, and I don't think all things had a clear answer in FF fashion. All of this is based on Shb btw, no Endwalker knowledge AFARIK

Spoiler

Who says it was "real" Emet? It was memory of Emet invoked by the Crystal (on time delay?). The implication when you spoke to Hythlodaeus that Emet when making Amurot went a bit "too far" in unconscious nostalgia making things a bit too real - such as Hythlodaeus himself. The stones might be the same thing. They belong to Emet's friend Azem - who often called allies (such as Emet for help) for help. The stone might be a similar unintended "too real" memory he created. 

There's another theory that Emet thought leaving Elidibus behind alone as the only unsundered Ascian to carry the burden was cruel. He might have thought stopping him was a kindness so more actively lntended to leave you something to help beat him.

Elidibus was definitely the youngest of the Convocation of 14. I'm not sure he's an actual child though. He sacrificed himself to be host/vessel to give Zodiak form.

When the Convocation were split over sacrificing more to Zodiak to help reclaim the world, he "split" from Zodiak to try to provide them salvation. He thought his friends needed him. It was his duty to help.

But it wasn't so much "Elidibus" that came out - but Elidibus crossed with primal. But rather than powered by worship as such, he's using people's faith in heroes/salvation.

The point about his memories is he's lived so long and had many different people "faith" pumped into him, he's no longer sure what his own personal original memories/desire was. He's flooded with others faith in heroes and they've drown out the original stuff. Is he driven by his own desire, or for the desire for Salvation that's been pimped into him -  but Salvation for who and from what? It gives him power, but also directs him towards the believers aims. It kind explains (somewhat :P) his odd actions over the course of the games. He's mentioned he's sometimes acted with the Ascians sometimes against them. It's a bit handwavey IMO.

While young I think the child like appearance is more showing you when you strip away the primal - the "original" Elidibus is lost, confused, childlike due to erosion of memory identity.

When you give him the Crystal Constellations representing the Convocation back you help him regain his memories of his friends as he's absorded into the tower.

Hythlodaeus has already said you're a sundered soul - the same original soul as Arbert. And the implication is "Unsundered" you was indeed Azem, a member of the Convocation of 14 and friend to Emet-Selch/Hythlodaeus. It also appears Emet hadn't consciously recognised this before you defeated him. (He briefly sees your Unsundered form when Arbert joins but calls it a trick of the light.

6 hours ago, Hexx said:

These might not all be 100% right as based on old memories, and I don't think all things had a clear answer in FF fashion. All of this is based on Shb btw, no Endwalker knowledge AFARIK

This is a fabulous reply, thank you. 

On 15/12/2021 at 10:12, Pungee said:

My understanding of some of your questions I wrote last night, just forgot to post. I don't think there are any spoilers from after 5.3:

Spoiler

I don't think he was a child, he was just maybe younger than the others but the scenes where you say they're patronising him are meant to convey that he was obsessed with the duty of his role to an extent none of the others were. He didn't seem to have any attachments outside of his job where as Emet for instance clearly missed Amaurot and his friends to the extent that he recreated it, and some of them, in exacting detail.

Elibibus shows none of this. His duty to there being some kind of balance is the only thing he cares about and so, with Emet and Lahabrea being gone there would be no one left that actually loved the ancient world or even possible of recreating it given that the previous rejoinings were the plans of the other two it appears (Allag for instance being responsible for 2 rejoinings and that being the reason for Garlemalds existance too, all Emet-Selch's work).

Emet is also clearly tired of the whole thing. He complains about being awoken too soon after his death as Solus and he recognises the soul you posess and that it might be possible for a path forward that isn't the rejoinings. Hythlodeus also points out that the plan has largely rested on Emet-Selch's back. So he prepares for his possible failure and the risk of leaving Elidibus alone in the world, forced to just carry out his duty of balance forever with no end, and putting an end to this purgatory.

As for his confusion I think it's that he's spent more than 10,000 years hopping around not really being on anyones side only focused on his duty. With no real attachment to that ancient world on a personal level he knows he has to save the world as part of the Convocation but he doesn't really know why. I think that's why he ends up small at the end because in reality he's so diminished and hollow and it's supposed to make you feel a bit sorry for him. He's like the opposite of Azem in that while your strength is always made out to be your connections to other people and drawing on their strength, Elidibus was very much alone.

As for the Azem constellation stone, that was never Azem's, it was created by Emet-Selch in the same manner as the others based on what he remembered about his friend. The difference is that this one was created in secret by Emet because Azem had left the Convocation in protest to the creation of Zodiark, while the rest of the stone were created by Emet, Lahabrea and Elidibus from their memories of the rest of Convocation.

1 hour ago, bcofn said:

My understanding of some of your questions I wrote last night, just forgot to post. I don't think there are any spoilers from after 5.3:

Super interesting, thank you. Especially on his motivations/confusion and the Azem stuff.