rllmuk
Mace Masterson

Final Fantasy XIV: Online First post updated with lots of info. Join Moogle!

42 minutes ago, bcofn said:

Yeah they stripped out some of the spells with Shadowbringers. There used to be an extra DoT, a placeable AoE and an ability that spread your DoT's to surrounding targets but they got rid of them so that all healers pretty much have one DoT, one AoE and a single target spell.

Ah, not my wizened old brain playing tricks on me then :D

Dinged 50 and have officially got further than I did originally (just beat the first of the final four (I assume?) ARR missions. Only regret now is making a rather unremarkable Au Ra dude and not another Lalafel :(

OK, so those 10 silver chocobo feathers that I had sitting in my inventory, not knowing where they'd come from have just bought me some ridiculously nice gear at 50. I probably should have saved them but,oh well.

6 hours ago, Scruff said:

only regret now is making a rather unremarkable Au Ra dude and not another Lalafel :(

:quote:

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Scruff said:

Only regret now is making a rather unremarkable Au Ra dude and not another Lalafel :(

Time to buy a Fantasia Potion from the Mog Station!

I didn't realise you were on Lich @Theholyhogg. I just waved to you in Mor Dhona and sent a /tell. We need more people on Lich!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

I didn't realise you were on Lich @Theholyhogg. I just waved to you in Mor Dhona and sent a /tell. We need more people on Lich!

Small world:lol: I didn't see nothing lol, I only nipped on to do some levequest while the kids were asleep.

You on ps4 @Scruff? I'm not sure if this is cross platform but I assume it is.

No, PC. I only asked if you were Mr Hogg from RLLMUK so you didn't miss anything :D 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Theholyhogg said:

Can you only add friends from the same server as you,I could add scruff but noone else.

I think they have to be on the same cluster. The one Lich is on is Light, whereas the others who play on Cerberus and Moogle are on cluster Chaos; which is a shame.

Just ended up solo healing Titan (hard) after the other healer fell off right at the start. Got one lousy commendation from it. Ungrateful gits :angry:

• Empathy 2

I'm floating around on Odin if you want to add me - same cluster as Lich

Why did you ever leave Moogle scruffybear :(

2 hours ago, Scruff said:

I think they have to be on the same cluster. The one Lich is on is Light, whereas the others who play on Cerberus and Moogle are on cluster Chaos; which is a shame.

Just ended up solo healing Titan (hard) after the other healer fell off right at the start. Got one lousy commendation from it. Ungrateful gits :angry:

I'm a healer too ,loving white mage,was waiting a while for an aoe attack like holy for an age tho.which healer you gone for?

28 minutes ago, df0 said:

Why did you ever leave Moogle scruffybear :(

For the mad "new server" XP bonus!

10 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

I'm a healer too ,loving white mage,was waiting a while for an aoe attack like holy for an age tho.which healer you gone for?

White Mage too. I played a Scholar before up to 50 and enjoyed it and was going to do it again but take Conj to 30 first so I could get the unicorn mount. Ended up liking it so much I stuck with it :D

I've still got my character on Moogle deef, but in the years since I played I've totally forgotten everything so wanted to start again and the XP bonus on the other servers was too tempting to resist.

• Upvote 1

Boo, you don't need an XP bonus.

Anyway, got another three dungeons/trials ticked off my Duty List earlier, my Journal is all "Use the Duty Finder to blahblahblahblah" right now, thank fuck the community is really quite friendly, only ever come across one toxic person and they got called out on it straight away (it wasn't aimed at me).  Just a simple "Hi, this is my first time" or "Hi, its been a while since I did this one" and everyone's quick to give you some leeway or even some pointers. Obviously it also results in some commendations when I don't take on the role of Floor Tank. This person makes some excellent FFXIV vids btw

• Upvote 1

OMFG, Alexander battered me, I'm surprised I weren't kicked! Also, I've now done 7 things from my Duty Finder and only gotten a DRG lvl 60 helm...

Just a couple of vids showing me being useless

Containment Bay B1T6

And then an alliance raid: The Void Ark

• Upvote 1

I really should start doing Raids. Only ever did 1 or 2 parts of Coils... 

1 hour ago, df0 said:

I really should start doing Raids. Only ever did 1 or 2 parts of Coils... 

I've only done part 1 of Coils, I keep queuing up the next one but never get it.

I might just queue up for a random raid, but because I am a tank I feel it's my obligation to at least know the strategy.

1 minute ago, df0 said:

I might just queue up for a random raid, but because I am a tank I feel it's my obligation to at least know the strategy.

Run in, pull the entire zone, leave if the healer lets you get below 50% health while simultaneously telling them they're not pulling their weight with DPS'ing too.

I think that's the tank MO right? :D

What TS/Gathering prof is a good one to take up? I'm 55 so I very, very highly doubt making my own gear will be in anyway beneficial to me. Food? Fishing?

See, that's why no one likes playing with you scruff.

• Upvote 2

The truth is liberating. Embrace and don't get sad.

Actually, I jest but that is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Was doing Chrysalis (?) for the MSQ and four of us said we'd never done it before. Got to the second bit with the meteors and we wiped as no one explained what to do. The two tanks and two of the dps just left without saying a word.

We did get some replacements who helpfully explained what to do but it does still happen. 

That's not nice of them. But - allow me to play devil's advocate - as a Tank I feel it's my obligation to know what to do: what to dodge, where to stand, how to avoid being knocked off etc. Very little is as annoying as party members who have literally no clue what to do and waste the time of other party members by continuously dying and wiping the raid. Not personally directed at you, more in general.

8 minutes ago, df0 said:

That's not nice of them. But - allow me to play devil's advocate - as a Tank I feel it's my obligation to know what to do: what to dodge, where to stand, how to avoid being knocked off etc. Very little is as annoying as party members who have literally no clue what to do and waste the time of other party members by continuously dying and wiping the raid. Not personally directed at you, more in general.

I get where you're coming from Deef and your argument is exactly why I'll never play tank. I really want to give Gunblade a try but no way am I taking responsibility in a dungeon when I've never played, never mind tanked it, before. I feel that healers have the easiest time of things as even DPS needs to know what is their best rotation, LB responsibility and taking car of adds ect. All I do is spam HOTs cures and medica :D

*e2a* I remember you tanking a dungeon, can't remember the name. It was in the desert and had those stone heads you need to kill on the plates. You did a fine job so shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

Yeah I dont feel brave enough to tank, I felt absolutely awful last night on Alexander, I wiped 5 times before the whole party ended up also wiping, admittedly two of those times one of the healers ressed me at the wrong time and I came to life just as he was using Holy. One of the tanks said that we'd all put in a valiant effort before we tried again, I responded that "I wish I could say I'd contributed", second time round I wiped once and thats because I'd got confused about my rotation and got all flustered.

I think if you're doing it sync'd and you say its your first time then you'll get more leeway than doing anything unsync'd, I think there's an expectation when you do stuff unsync'd that you already know what you're doing. Also, as someone on a FFXIV Discord I'm on said last night, if you're not doing the latest content, then alot of people have also forgotten how to play it, so again, there's more patience there.

10 minutes ago, df0 said:

That’s why I never play as a tank either. What I’m not sure about is how people are supposed to know what to do during some of these pretty complicated battles though? Are there like any clues given within the game? Otherwise the choices seem to be either being told by someone who knows, or look it up online.

I know it’s maybe an extreme version, but I was trying to play the minstrel’s ballad version of Thordan’s reign the other day, and it was just ridiculous. Sure, I could look it up online, but if I’m having to do that, surely that’s a slight failing of the game to make it at least a bit more obvious to avoid dying instantly? Maybe I’m just being dumb.

I think some look it up online, some learn from others and other people play it and figure it out for themselves, even as a DPS you need to know what to do and when, as scruff stated, you need to know when to us the limit break, but also whether it should be a melee or ranged limit break, if there's adds then which ones to get rid of first (and on some you dont want to get rid of them at all) etc, and just because someone is playing Healer or DPS, then they may main Tank normally as the beauty of this game is the ability to chop and change roles