Borderlands from Gearbox

ghosted

Finished the plot bit of the DLC last night, very good, probably the best game add on i've seen yet, (better even than the fallout ones).

Some really good moments, especially finding the corpse of

shaggy from scooby doo?

Now all i have to do is collect another 132 brains...

I was running in Game mode (which I understood conferred some benefit regarding IR), brightness and contrast about 50%. Certainly nothing over the top.

Ok, checked this last night and it's definitely visible on a plain black screen when the screen is on (i.e. AV with no input). I can actually read my current level and class!

After a night without playing though it's barely visible on a blank screen and I can't see it when displaying a normal image - I think given a few days it will disappear completely.

My initial reaction was pretty negative, but I'm liking it more now that I'm not using cork guns and having to walk everywhere. I have the PC version, which is a pretty horrible port of a game clearly designed for console gamers- the menu system is very inefficiently designed for people with a mouse and keyboard (this annoys me pretty much every time I open it). For example, using the mouse in the menu has clearly just been thrown over the top, it's very laggy and inaccurate when it's fine in-game. The graphics are less than I'd expect if it were a PC game, and the whole two (/three /four) weapon slots is pretty pointless in single player as I can just open the menu and switch them round. Of course it would be different in multiplayer.

However, once vehicles turned up so I didn't have to crawl through dozens of skag encounters every time I went anywhere, and I could hit things for shit, it's looking a better game. Haven't got much farther than that so I can't comment on the rest!

My brothers hunter and my soldier are now both level 28 and we've just killed

krom

. Without giving too much away; how far from completion of the main plot are we? It's just Ive noticed there are only two 'complete all the quests in this area' achievements available and we've got the one for fyrestone and we're doing all the side quests we find, too, so will no doubt pick up the new haven one eventually.

Tunisia: Are you playing with graphics setting maxed? Game looks fantastic for me (other than lack of v-sync option so occasional tearing) and runs well. Not had any issues with menu either really, it's not perfect but it's far from as crap as you're making out. I honestly can't believe it looks or plays better on a console. The only issue I have with the PC version is the lack of DLC.

Squid: Still a decent way to go. I finished at level 36 or 37 on all my playthroughs (3).

My brothers hunter and my soldier are now both level 28 and we've just killed

krom

. Without giving too much away; how far from completion of the main plot are we? It's just Ive noticed there are only two 'complete all the quests in this area' achievements available and we've got the one for fyrestone and we're doing all the side quests we find, too, so will no doubt pick up the new haven one eventually.

That's a great level. You'll soon be at

Old Haven

. Keep your eyes out for weapons crates everywhere

Yeah, the DLC was great, I thought: some genuinely funny moments, lots of action, nice artwork, and

the inclusion of another inventory slot upgrade was very welcome.

It's a real shame they spoiled it a bit by the quest that ended up requiring you to collect 5,000 brains. Poor And. :(

And the Plasma Curse is now official with the victim tally reaching 3: one for LCD owners only, is this.

Wait another storage deck upgrade? I missed that where is it?

As for plasma's I still remember my mate proudly showing off his brand new 42" plasma, shiny new 360 and dead rising only to have KILLED: burnt into his screen.

Upgrade DLC spoiler:

There's a claptrap behind (or next to, can't quite recall) a pile of logs in the last area of Jakob's Mill, just before you go to meet the final boss; he's in front of the largest building (i.e. the mill itself) iirc. Do the usual 'find repair kit' thing and he'll reveal a red chest and give you the upgrade.

For anyone that's managed to get to the seemingly inaccessible weapons crate in Old Haven, it's also available in the DLC but the route you need to take is slightly different. Just picked up an Eridian Cannon with 1559 damage :D

Am I right in thinking this has the mother of all difficulty spikes at around lvl 11-12? I went from never dying, to dying about 20 times in getting from lvl 11 to lvl 13. I'm trying the get the gate key, but the lvl 15 badass freaks or whatever the fuck they're called, are pretty much invincible. 10 hits from a shotgun does about 10% of its health. One hit from him does half my health.

This is single player, by the way. I'm sure some might say the answer is "play with other people", but if that's not an option, well, the game's broken isn't it?

Am I right in thinking this has the mother of all difficulty spikes at around lvl 11-12? I went from never dying, to dying about 20 times in getting from lvl 11 to lvl 13. I'm trying the get the gate key, but the lvl 15 badass freaks or whatever the fuck they're called, are pretty much invincible. 10 hits from a shotgun does about 10% of its health. One hit from him does half my health.

This is single player, by the way. I'm sure some might say the answer is "play with other people", but if that's not an option, well, the game's broken isn't it?

Nope, it doesn't.

Get better equipment, clear up any claptrap quests you have to do, carry on with game. Only experienced a few difficulty spikes throughout the game and it was only because I hadn't bothered to properly keep decent equipment and keep up with the optional quests.

Check your quest screen. Underneath each quest it will say how difficult a quest is based on your current level (trivial, easy, medium, hard, impossible) and if a quest is too hard the solution is easy: do a different quest and come back later! Don't grind, there's never any need to, just doing quests normally will give you plenty of exp.

I know all this about quest difficulty. This is the easiest quest I have left to do. I was loving it up until this.

I think at that point you have a quest thats listed as hard - but actually isn't. IIRC talking to TJ Baha - or something similar will unlock few easier quests in the skag dens which levels you up enough to do gate quest.

Do the enemies level up with you? Can I come back to this area after levelling up for a bit and they'll still be lvl 15? Or will they always be a couple of levels above me?

Apart from this slowing my progress right down, it's been amazing so far.

Do the enemies level up with you? Can I come back to this area after levelling up for a bit and they'll still be lvl 15? Or will they always be a couple of levels above me?

They'll still be level 15. I think you must have missed some quests though, as I'm just entering Sledge's Safe House as a level 14 Siren, and it's a level 14 quest. The three I have remaining are level 15 quests. I've not done anything except the quests, and certainly no grinding between.

Perhaps you should check the bounty board and NPCs again. You may have missed something.

They'll still be level 15. I think you must have missed some quests though, as I'm just entering Sledge's Safe House as a level 14 Siren, and it's a level 14 quest. The three I have remaining are level 15 quests. I've not done anything except the quests, and certainly no grinding between.

Perhaps you should check the bounty board and NPCs again. You may have missed something.

I just checked now. My mistake. There were a couple of new quests on the bounty board next to Claptrap at the start. They weren't easy as such, just the same lvl as I am.

I'm having the exact same problem - I've checked all the boards/NPCs and done every mission so far but I'm getting ripped to shreds around the Level 13 mark (playing as Soldier). I've bought the best guns available from the shops and got the best shield; will go back to it but the ramp up in difficulty is pretty large.

Is there any way to choose where you respawn too? I've respawned back in some pretty enemy filled areas when I wanted to retreat.

I'm playing as Siren, up to lvl17 now. Unfortunately I didn't seem to get uch choice in which weapons I wanted to level up in: I basically had an SMG which did tossloads of damage, high fire rate and accuracy etc., so using pretty much anything else got me killed, which means that for the last 7-8 levels I've just been using SMG. I finally picked up a better weapon, but hey, look, it's another SMG <_< I'm not kidding, I dealt with the

'Roid Rage Mutant Psycho in Sled's Safehouse

and all of his minions just using the SMG I'd picked up 7-8 levels earlier, before realising that that was probably what they'd given me the rocket launchers for.

It's also a bit annoying that I am better at using the sniper rifle than my character is- I can spend a few seconds lining up a perfect shot, it flies miles wide and so i have to run in with my SMG. I think that either they should have made the sniper rifles hit where you aim them, or they shouldn't have the reticle movingas you look through the scope, and incorporate that into your skill level with it (if that makes any sense).

Final gripe: having to grind through 3-4 skag nests/ bandit bases/ psycho spawn points/ rakk flights to get to an objective, then grind back through the same ones (having respawned) to turn in, then to find that you have to go through the same process on the way to the next mission is a bit of a pain. It's fine on bits with vehicles but so far the only vehicle area which I have access to is the arid badlands- everything off it is down to foot slogging. If you could just kill the 3 or 4 goons hanging around in the base, move through, and have them respawn when you change areas, that would be better, but as it is it's a case of carefully planning your attack, killing everyone in sight, waiting a minute or so until more spawn, or come round the corner, deal with them, wait a bit, start mving through, another one spawns behind you, etc. Get to the objective with very little SMG ammo left :rolleyes:

Still, an enjoyable game, probably worth the money. I'm looking forward to getting more elemental weapons, I've maxed out my elemental effect chance skill in preparation.

I sort of dislike how certain characters are bound together with certain weapons. Me and a friend are playing through co-op, and so I decided to play as a Siren and chose a sniper rifle as my main weapon. To say its been hard is an understatement, as its nigh on impossible to get the bullet to go where you want even with an accuracy of 96%+ (like Tunisia said). My friend who plays a soldier is levelling up on average a lot faster than me, and so im having to try doubly hard just to get the headshots in time before he mops everything up. On the opposite side of the scale is my level 40 hunter on its 2nd playthrough. It's very rare that I miss any shots, and everything dies in one hit now with my Volcano gun. Still, good fun just to play it through again collecting up the loot to see what I can get and to max out my bloodwing :)

How do you activate the fast travel function? The white rabbit option flashes briefly, then becomes greyed-out and can't be selected. What do I need to do to activate it?

If we're talking about the normal game and not DLC or anything, there is a mission you have to complete after you rescue Lucky but before you get to New Haven. I think it involves enabling two switches, then going to a local substation and enabling a switch there or something.

I got a fire spewing smg on my medic based soldier and I can rip stuff to shreds. My bro and I are now 31ish, and we did the gauntlet q in new haven and the final round presented us with about 8 rocket spewing badass beserker brutes. It was White knuckle gaming, dashing back and forth to res each other, me healing, chucking my turret down, chucking transfusion grenades to keep us topped up. Brilliant.