Borderlands from Gearbox

ghosted

Hang on a sec.. What do you mean?

I've beaten the big last boss, then I have a hand in back outside the vault. I haven't done that hand in yet; I saved and quit after leaving the vault.

Are you saying I'll just magically start playthrough 2 when I next load my save? Cos that'll be cack, if so.

Nope.

You turn in that mission, then nothing. You roam around the world with no missions, killing NPCs if you wish, levelling up with no real objective in mind. If more DLC comes around, you can do that of course. The next time decide to start6 a fresh game from the initial menu, you have an option of a playthrough 2 with your stats & loot in tact, but enemies have levelled up and you basically start the story again. Your first playthrough is saved separately and you can return later if you want.

Just got this and put about an hour into it. Still very early days, but I really am loving it. The decision to change the graphical style is vindicated many times over, there's just something about the world and setting which appeals far more than if it had just been built around a Fallout 3 look.

This kinda skimmed off my radar as I didn't have a gaming PC when it launched - but is it a solo effort or an online competitive FPS (or both?)

I tend to prefer my FPSes with some solid single player content even if it's not that lengthy just to get a feel for it before indulging in the horror which is competitive or even co-op playthroughs!?

Horses for courses. I like the Hunter myself, but the Siren's good too. (I've not had enough experience of the other two classes to make a judgment about them.)

trjp: it's an offline-online hybrid. The game structure and story/level progression are the same on and offline, but online in co-op the mobs are at a higher level and there are often more of them. The online component is basically (with some minor additions) restricted to co-op campaigning with each class complementing the others to an extent. In that respect, it's a bit like PSO, and with similar loot and exp sharing mechanics, except with FPS shooter combat instead of 3rd person mixed combat. It's not a competitive FPS at all.

Horses for courses. I like the Hunter myself, but the Siren's good too. (I've not had enough experience of the other two classes to make a judgment about them.)

trjp: it's an offline-online hybrid. The game structure and story/level progression are the same on and offline, but online in co-op the mobs are at a higher level and there are often more of them. The online component is basically (with some minor additions) restricted to co-op campaigning with each class complementing the others to an extent. In that respect, it's a bit like PSO, and with similar loot and exp sharing mechanics, except with FPS shooter combat instead of 3rd person mixed combat. It's not a competitive FPS at all.

Thx for that - I read through some reviews and saw one person say "this is what Hellgate should have been" which is very interesting (because I actually thought Hellgate was OK).

Sorry you're not enjoying it, but there's no grinding at all in the game. If you do all the quests you'll always be at an appropriate level for those that remain (or, more often than not, above that level): you never have to grind an extra level.

It isn't a very difficult game though, no. Unless you make it more difficult by the way you put an online co-op party together, which is easily done.

I'm having a Boxing Day Borderlands Fest, and going through the Zombie DLC.

WOW.

Really amazing, easily the best DLC this year alongside Fallout 3's Point Lookout, which it's actually very similar to.

I thought Dragon Age was it for the Game of the Year, but Borderlands might actually sneak it, and I've only played about a quarter of it in co-op.

If Gearbox continue to support this well, I'll give them all the money they ask for.

EDIT - Also, these are the best game zombies since Res Evil 1. Real Fulci-esque, soil-encrusted dug-up corpses, shambling towards you in a wave, thinking you're having fun mowing them down, then reload, shit, there's two behind you, blap! oh fuck, there's a big one about to throw an exploding barrel at you. You're Dead.

I got this for Christmas too and it is fun for the most part, though I have had to resort to the grind at times. I've been one or two levels below the recommended for a mission (and subsequently received a kicking from the boss), but Skags and bandits and the like have such a poxy EXP bonus that grinding can seem futile. That said, things like the Bounty Board offer half-decent bonuses now and then, so it's not all bad. :)

I know it's been said before, but for anyone who's new to the game and finds themself having to grind: you must have missed some missions. Check the bounty boards to make sure you've handed everything in and for new stuff, and check with the main NPCs. Seriously, you never, ever have to do a mission above your level if you clean up everything that's available beforehand. If anything, the problem is that you usually end up with most or all of your available missions being too easy.

Where is the skill involved in this game? Me and my brother have just started playing it today and we are not enjoying it at all. It's just tedious mindless grinding. The combat is boring and the game feels rough as hell.

I found it a bit grindy at the beginning but it gets better once you've got some more interesting weapons, you can hit fish in a barrel and don't have to crawl everywhere on foot.

I'm playing as Siren, it's my first time. It feels a bit cheesey just fighting til I'm about to die, then phasing behind a rock until my shield regenerates. I can't help but feel that I'd be getting completely knobbed if I couldn't do that though.

Can someone explain to me some of the weapon attributes? Can't find any documentation around the internet.

1. Multipliers: the 'x7' (or whatever number) which flashes over the weapon's damage. What does this mean? I mainly see it on shotguns.

2. +x% Damage: Does this mean that a gun which does 40 damage, and has +50% damage, is effectively a 60-damage gun?

3. For elemental weapons, the multiplier over the symbol showing what element it is- what does that mean?

4. +x% burst fire. What does it mean, and why does sledge's shotgun have +10000%?

Can someone explain to me some of the weapon attributes? Can't find any documentation around the internet.

1. Multipliers: the 'x7' (or whatever number) which flashes over the weapon's damage. What does this mean? I mainly see it on shotguns.

2. +x% Damage: Does this mean that a gun which does 40 damage, and has +50% damage, is effectively a 60-damage gun?

3. For elemental weapons, the multiplier over the symbol showing what element it is- what does that mean?

4. +x% burst fire. What does it mean, and why does sledge's shotgun have +10000%?

1. The number of pellets the shotgun fires. The higher the better of course, each pellet doing the damage of the main number. The accuracy of the shotgun is key, as it controls how quickly those pellets spread. Get REEEEAL close. Shotguns are amazing in this game.

2. It's just a modifier to how the gun would normally be. It's why you sometimes get brilliant lower level weapons. The damage at the top is correct.

3. The hihger it is the more likely the effect, pretty much.

4. Not sure. Sledge's has that because it fires both its magazines' shots instantly.

surely the number isn't the number of bullets?

Shotguns have burst fire. 52x7 damage means that for each pull of the trigger, a 7shot spread is fired, each one doing up to 52 damage.