Borderlands from Gearbox

ghosted

3. The hihger it is the more likely the effect, pretty much.

Actually, the text description ("chance", "higher chance" etc) is what tells you the likelihood of the effect happening. The elemental multiplier shows the multiple of the base amount of damage that the element will do to a mob should it take.

Thanks very much. As it is, I'm just selling any shotgun I pick up- near the beginning of the game by chance I found a kickass SMG which I ended up using all the time; then I got an even better one, so now my SMG skill is just huge and there's no point using anything else for combat. I'm level 20, so it seems a bit late to start training up my shotgun :doh:

After reading this - and a friend lending me his Steam Account to test it - I picked this up on PC and I'm loving it.

It really is what Hellgate should have been - Diablo with guns :doh:

It's also very low-end PC friendly - I resurrected my old desktop over Xmas (P4 3.4HT, 1GB, 8600GT) and expected it to pass-out, but it manages 25-30 fps in medium settings (no shadows) and looks really quite pretty...

Also, if you get weapons with, I believe, red text saying something cryptic, it does actually mean something; the gun doesn't need to be reloaded, or regenerates ammo, or does more crit damage or whatever. I didn't realise this until most of my way through the first playthrough.

Also, if you get weapons with, I believe, red text saying something cryptic, it does actually mean something; the gun doesn't need to be reloaded, or regenerates ammo, or does more crit damage or whatever. I didn't realise this until most of my way through the first playthrough.

This is true

Tediore Weapons:

Ammo is no longer an issue - Regenerating ammo

Unending Firepower - Regenerating ammo

I can do this all day - Regenerating ammo

Hold your ground forever - Regenerating ammo

Hallelujah - Regenerating ammo

Dahl Weapons:

Feel the sting - 2 shot Unusual high damage

Long and strong - Unusual high damage and accuracy

One bad dog - Enormous magazine and fast reload

2 more bullets make all the difference - Five shot burst and large magazine

The ultimate close quarters feline - Huge magazine

Sniper Killer Qu'est que c'est - Extended magazine, low kick, rapid fire (it's a sniper rifle!)

Vladof Weapons:

Never stop shooting - Large magazine & fast reload

Vengeance is yours - Bullets may ignore shields

Drop the hammer - Fires in a special pattern

Beware the horde - Spawns a horde of additional rockets

S&S Weapons:

Double whammy - Split shot burst

Big Tony says "Hi" - Extended magazine and fast reload

Cross their heart, hope they die - Fires in a special pattern

A hunter lives among the stars - Spawns additional shock projectiles

Maliwan weapons:

Bring the heat - Powerful incendiary attack

Give sick - powerful corrosive attack

Bring out your dead - powerful corrosive attack

We don't need no water - powerful incendiary attack

Pele demands a sacrifice - powerful incendiary attack

The unstoppable force - Charging rocket that explodes continuously as it flies

Torgue weapons:

Your move, creep - 3 shot burst firing 3 bullets per shot

Have a nice day - fires in a special pattern

Tear it up - High damage in burst round

I like it - Powerful and explosive

Monster Kill - Fires a MASSIVE rocket

Jakobs weapons:

It's a helluva thing - High damage, high accuracy, large critical hit bonus however, it's heavy, slow and kicks like a mule

Sniper rifles are for chumps - Highly accurate shotgun with tight spread

Makes their brain hurt - Fires multiple projectiles. Think of it like a long range shotgun.

Hyperion weapons:

12 bullets, invade your skull - continuous burst of bullets at high zoom

Slice Slice - fitted with extra sharp blade for added melee damage

Ahhh... Fresh meat! - five shot burst

The destructor has come - continuous burst of bullets at high zoom

Smack 'em - high accuracy and damage with big critical hit bonus

Bam bam bam bam bam! - Extended magazine and 5 shot burst when zoomed

Death rains from above - Rocket explodes and fires several additional rockets downwards

Atlas weapons:

Pain heals - regenerates health

A beast of many forms. Fire, lightning and poison - fires random elemental effects

Five heads of death - fires in a special pattern

I have my eye on you sir - High damage and powerful explosive attack

Quick question for anyone in the know.

I'm playing this co-op and loving it, with my brother, both on his machine. He's signed in with a gold account but i'm using a silver. If he purchases the DLC will we both be able to play it?

I'm playing this co-op and loving it, with my brother, both on his machine. He's signed in with a gold account but i'm using a silver. If he purchases the DLC will we both be able to play it?

If you login to different LIVE accounts, only the account which buys the DLC will be able to play it AFAIK.

Unless there's a way to play it 'offline' which I've not really tinkered to find out (harder when it's not usually my 360 I'm playing on).

I am loving my quick health restoring shield at the moment. By 'eck it has saved my life on more than a few occasions, as it allows you to effectively use your health as an extension of your shield capacity. And somehow I picked up a 35x11 damage revolver which comes in very handy against the tougher enemies. And other players who think it wise to challenge me to a duel.

Up to Level 22 now as a hunter. The gameplay is very samey. But when it is this fun in multiplayer, who cares?

Sorry you're not enjoying it, but there's no grinding at all in the game. If you do all the quests you'll always be at an appropriate level for those that remain (or, more often than not, above that level): you never have to grind an extra level.

I've been playing for next-to-no time and I can say this isn't true already.

I followed the quests offered upto Skag Gully - did that and returned to get 2 further quests offered at the Bounty Board.

Both are Level 10 and both are marked Orange/Hard - as they would be as I was Level 6 when they were offered and I'm Level 7 now having been kicked-to-death by the Level 9-11 enemies... :*(

p.s. Did I miss how to shortcut healthpacks on PC - it's not leaping out at me right now...

p.p.s. I assume looting boxes and chests in shops etc. isn't in any way bad - too much Oblivion/Fallout reputation/image worry on my part??

I've been playing for next-to-no time and I can say this isn't true already.

I followed the quests offered upto Skag Gully - did that and returned to get 2 further quests offered at the Bounty Board.

Both are Level 10 and both are marked Orange/Hard - as they would be as I was Level 6 when they were offered and I'm Level 7 now having been kicked-to-death by the Level 9-11 enemies... :*(

p.s. Did I miss how to shortcut healthpacks on PC - it's not leaping out at me right now...

It is true. I had the exact same situation, you're missing collecting a couple of missions. Collect them either at the bounty board where you started or that disabled guy if I remember correctly.

I finished the whole thing without grinding once. I was always always on a mission. Also I was a little overpowered at the end.

If you login to different LIVE accounts, only the account which buys the DLC will be able to play it AFAIK.

Unless there's a way to play it 'offline' which I've not really tinkered to find out (harder when it's not usually my 360 I'm playing on).

Some might say you should 'know' what you're 'talking about' before you start offering, as it were, 'advice' to people.

Omus, you'll be fine to both play any DLC on his console. :)

Some might say you should 'know' what you're 'talking about' before you start offering, as it were, 'advice' to people.

That definately did not work with the first Fallout 3 DLC - I logged into someone else's 360 and couldn't access his DLC content (but he could ofc.)

I've no idea how it works all this stuff out and it may have changed/vary from game to game, but there you go.

So 'there you go Swallow you clevercunt'

Jesus.

You must be right John; on the four characters I've used I must have imagined every single time that there are always enough quests to take you to the appropriate level for the next one. And so has everyone else who's experienced the same thing. Clearly we're all delusional because there's no way you could have missed anything, I'm sure.

Oh, hold on...

I've been playing for next-to-no time

Level 1 Roland joined my level 50 Mordecai today for a mission. Mordecai killed a few Spiderants and the Rakk Hive, then turned the mission in. Roland was then level 18 without firing a bullet!

The latest DLC is pretty crap in comparison to Zombie Island; it seems to just be a series of arena fights against enemies the same level as you. The difficuly ramps up considerably and, to be honest, I'm not finding it to be much fun.

I haven't downloaded it yet because I haven't got a team, and that's what it's for as far as I can see - online team play. It's the equivalent (sorry about the frequent comparisons of the two) to PSO's Challenge Mode. It seems it's difficult and will need a well-balanced team and good tactics to conquer, as well as a fair amount of time set aside to win some of the longer fights (several hours, in fact). The numerous waves and the repetition and increasing difficulty are what it's all about.

I think it's DLC for the hardcore only, really. Still, I'll have to try it out at some point even though I expect it'll be absolutely pointless for solo play, and probably almost as pointless for causal online play.

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head; the new DLC is all about online team play. I played through the main game by myself and really enjoyed it, played it in co-op several times with various friends... I've even managed to get my main character to level 50. But this new DLC seems to be pretty much pointless in solo or for casual online play; the rounds are long and unforgiving so it doesn't have the "quick few missions" allure that the main game and the Zombie Island DLC had. Also, completing the five rounds per arena looks like it'll take at least an hour or so each, and they need to be done in one sitting otherwise it's right back to the start. I was trying this with my level 50 character which was a bad idea. It's probably a good way to boost a character that can still accumulate XP and leveling up in the rounds may make it a little easier.

I've not written it off yet but... I don't feel very compelled to play it either. :)

Omus, you'll be fine to both play any DLC on his console. :)

Cheers, been playing all evening, godamn this game is all kinds of fun!

Jesus.

You must be right John; on the four characters I've used I must have imagined every single time that there are always enough quests to take you to the appropriate level for the next one. And so has everyone else who's experienced the same thing. Clearly we're all delusional because there's no way you could have missed anything, I'm sure.

Oh, hold on...

You take things so personally and with this air that you're never wrong - I've no idea why but you must be one uptight fucker in RL :)

I ditched my Berserker, didn't really like his playstyle anyway, and rolled something else - followed the initial chain to Dr Zed and then out to the blind guy who's name escapes me - did his stuff out to Skag Gully and this time I killed a lot more of the enemies around the place (which you can avoid if you really want to) - returned, talked to the blind guy - sent me back to Dr Zed - he sends me to the Bounty Board/which sends me to the Depot outside the gate and to the blind guy again, both of which lead to Level 10 quests and I'm Level 6 again...

If there are more quests - and I'm not saying there aren't - they're not on the bounty board, not on Dr Zed or the blind guy or Cl4ptr4p or whatever...

It's no biggie - I'll get 2 levels picking off the guards for each mission but to say you never need to grind levels is clearly not true unless Steam sold me a different game to the one you're playing.

So relax FFS

You take things so personally and with this air that you're never wrong - I've no idea why but you must be one uptight fucker in RL :)

I ditched my Berserker, didn't really like his playstyle anyway, and rolled something else - followed the initial chain to Dr Zed and then out to the blind guy who's name escapes me - did his stuff out to Skag Gully and this time I killed a lot more of the enemies around the place (which you can avoid if you really want to) - returned, talked to the blind guy - sent me back to Dr Zed - he sends me to the Bounty Board/which sends me to the Depot outside the gate and to the blind guy again, both of which lead to Level 10 quests and I'm Level 6 again...

If there are more quests - and I'm not saying there aren't - they're not on the bounty board, not on Dr Zed or the blind guy or Cl4ptr4p or whatever...

It's no biggie - I'll get 2 levels picking off the guards for each mission but to say you never need to grind levels is clearly not true unless Steam sold me a different game to the one you're playing.

So relax FFS

You're right, John. Your copy of the game is different to mine.

Making no idiotic assumptions about what your personality might be in real life, all I know about you is that you usually post here without engaging your brain, like you did when you said I was wrong about there being enough missions to negate any need for grinding. And again here when you say it's clearly not true that you never need to grind levels. Instead of perhaps considering that you'd missed something. So perhaps you should actually relax a little less and flex that grey muscle in between your ears from time to time before your fingers start twitching in a desire to dispense erroneous conclusions to the world.

Alternatively, you could simply carry on insulting people and telling them they're wrong based on your extensive research into and knowledge of whatever subject it is you've decided to be factually challenged about today.

So relax FFS

The lev 10 quest which involves to talking to blind guy leads to two or three easier new quests in skag gully. Once you've done those you'll be a high enough level to take out the dude with the mask who has scooters' car parts easy. Like the others have said, there is never any need to grind, you simply missed a couple of missions. To be fair, the easy missions from the blind guy are signposted poorly since the quest of just talking to him after returning from skag gully for the first time after beating Nine Toes is noted as being level 10, but the quests resulting from that are about level 6 or 7.