Borderlands from Gearbox

ghosted

I had the same problem as johnpeat, in that when I was about lvl 10, I was having a problem completing the only available quest as it was a couple of levels above me. I posted on here, and lo and behold, I'd missed an entire bounty board, and there was also the guy near one of the vehicle spawn points who gives quests who had a new one for me. So it's true, you don't need to grind, ever. But to be fair, it's not always clear where the available quests are. Sure, you get the little audio clip telling you so and so has new missions available, but it's not highlighted on the map so you need to remember where they are.

Bought the Moxxi's DLC, looks amazing, and it seems as good as any Horde mode in other games. Only lvl 38 though, so I'll come back to it once I've polished off the main quest. One thing though, the first mission in Moxxi's is listed as Trivial, and level 15, but all the enemies were lvl 37-38, what gives?

Bought the Moxxi's DLC, looks amazing, and it seems as good as any Horde mode in other games. Only lvl 38 though, so I'll come back to it once I've polished off the main quest. One thing though, the first mission in Moxxi's is listed as Trivial, and level 15, but all the enemies were lvl 37-38, what gives?

AFAIK it scales the enemies to your level. I'm playing with my lvl50 character, and all the enemies are 50.

AFAIK it scales the enemies to your level. I'm playing with my lvl50 character, and all the enemies are 50.

That's cool, but why does it list the mission as Trivial and Level 15? Shouldn't it be listed as Normal and Level 37, or whatever level the player's at? Or is it working it out in some crazy different way to the main missions, such as rating it based on four people playing it?

What's the best way to play this with a buddy over Live so that you're both able to complete missions and benefit from XP/Rewards?

I ask, because I'm a bit confused. I started playing with my brother; he had a level 10 Beserker, and I started a level 1 Warrior (or is it Soldier, I forget, sorry). In our first session, I hosted the game, and soon caught up with his level.

The next time we played, I hosted again, but seemed to be racing away from my bro in XP, and he said the missions I/we were completing weren't counting as being done by him.

Do we both need to start from level 1 to both be able to complete missions? Or is one player doomed to lag behind the other forever, unless, each time we play, we switch hosts and re-do the same last few quests?

You take things so personally and with this air that you're never wrong - I've no idea why but you must be one uptight fucker in RL :)

I ditched my Berserker, didn't really like his playstyle anyway, and rolled something else - followed the initial chain to Dr Zed and then out to the blind guy who's name escapes me - did his stuff out to Skag Gully and this time I killed a lot more of the enemies around the place (which you can avoid if you really want to) - returned, talked to the blind guy - sent me back to Dr Zed - he sends me to the Bounty Board/which sends me to the Depot outside the gate and to the blind guy again, both of which lead to Level 10 quests and I'm Level 6 again...

If there are more quests - and I'm not saying there aren't - they're not on the bounty board, not on Dr Zed or the blind guy or Cl4ptr4p or whatever...

It's no biggie - I'll get 2 levels picking off the guards for each mission but to say you never need to grind levels is clearly not true unless Steam sold me a different game to the one you're playing.

So relax FFS

Here are the first load of missions and respective levels. Use it as a checklist. If you have done them all, which I doubt, go speak to TK again anyway. That's a level 10 mission but shouldn't really be.

Fresh off the bus 2

The Doctor is in 2

Skags at the gate 2

Claptrap rescue 2

Fix'er upper 2

Blindhing Nine Toes 2

Nine Toes: Meet TK Baha 3

Nine Toes: TK's food 2

Got greanades 2

Nine Toes: Take him down 4

Nine Toes: Time to collect 7

Job Hunting 7

Catch a ride 7

TKs Life and Limb 7

Why are they here? 7

By the seeds of your pants 9

TK Has more work 10

Bone Head's Theft 10

Fricking hell. I just spent over an hour fighting solo through the first part of the three-parter starter challenge in the Moxxi DLC. Five rounds, five waves of enemies per round (each wave of which represents, for Borderlands, a fairly substantial battle). Died right at the end of wave 4 of round 4 when the last badass standing - who killed me with two shots from some evil-looking shield-mashing weapon - backed off round a corner so that, rooted to the spot, I couldn't get another hit on him for second wind. And so I got put back to the first wave of round 3. That's 9 whole battles down the pan.

Then I turned the 360 off as I didn't really want to be playing all night. This needs teamwork, or a fair amount of luck. Or both, considering that was only part one of the starter challenge. Having said that, it's ace. Perhaps I'm a masochist, but this sort of war of attrition, with the penalties as you progress being ever more fearful as you get closer to the scent of ultimate victory, really appeals to me. With a badass team on the go and a few hours to devote to it this could be a great experience.

If anyone in the thread who thinks the game is no challenge wants that to change, I'd recommend trying the DLC if you have enough time to spare and dedication to see it through. As long as you don't mind wave after wave of pure, no-frills action.

Fricking hell. I just spent over an hour fighting solo through the first part of the three-parter starter challenge in the Moxxi DLC. Five rounds, five waves of enemies per round (each wave of which represents, for Borderlands, a fairly substantial battle). Died right at the end of wave 4 of round 4 when the last badass standing - who killed me with two shots from some evil-looking shield-mashing weapon - backed off round a corner so that, rooted to the spot, I couldn't get another hit on him for second wind. And so I got put back to the first wave of round 3. That's 9 whole battles down the pan.

Then I turned the 360 off as I didn't really want to be playing all night. This needs teamwork, or a fair amount of luck. Or both, considering that was only part one of the starter challenge. Having said that, it's ace. Perhaps I'm a masochist, but this sort of war of attrition, with the penalties as you progress being ever more fearful as you get closer to the sent of ultimate victory, really appeals to me. With a badass team on the go and a few hours to devote to it this could be a great experience.

If anyone in the thread who thinks the game is no challenge wants that to change, I'd recommend trying the DLC if you have enough time to spare and dedication to see it through. As long as you don't mind wave after wave of pure, no-frills action.

I agree entirely with that. I completed the 'Hellburbia' arena (against level 50 opponents) but having trouble with the other arenas. Not enough cover :)

Still, I keep going back....

Gonna have to do some co-op I reckon.

Just completed the main game with my brother. It's actually a good game once you understand it's niggles and how it works.

If you are playing coop make sure non-hosts save and quit when you finish playing before the host stops the game or the missions will not be saved.

I don't get where a giant spider flicks our enjoyment switches, especially since I'm in here complaining about them. There are fantastic games in which you only fight humans, which are not seen as repetitive...

...You seem to suggest it's impossible to have variety in a game unless one of the characters is a giant spider. How about human enemies which are ex-army and fight in a squad? Others are mad raiders who charge you. Others are perhaps suicide bombers. Others maybe bury themselves in the desert and wait for you to approach some tempting loot. There are a million kinds of scenarios and AI patterns which could be programmed, weapon types and situations which would be introduced to such a game, the laziest of which is a giant or monster which wants to eat you, and which you back peddle from while shooting in the face.

Just going back through the thread from the start because I'm incredibly bored at work, and I like that all the "how about..." options listed here actually ended up in the game along with the giant bugs.

I'm having a lot of fun with the new DLC. Played through the 5 round Hellburbia game last night and it definitely gets a bit tense when you're on the badass wave in round 5 and Moxxi announces that she's taking your shield away. Oh, and btw the enemies all have enhanced weapons. Cheers, Mox.

I found the new DLC too hard by myself (lev 50 soldier) so if anyone is up for co-op from January 2nd onwards, and doesn't mind a barely understandable Dutch accent rattling into your headphones, let me know.

I also have the "And They'll Tell Two Friends" achievement to offer btw :P

A few days ago I played some solo Mad Moxxi DLC. After a few attempts I managed to complete Hellburbia but I couldn't get anywhere on Angelic Ruins. I kept dying after a couple of waves. Today, with a change of tactic and ONE GUN, I completed Angelic Ruins first time! Amaze!

Are you sure the upgrade doesn't just affect the number of slots available in the storage chest? I'm not saying that it does - I haven't completed any of Moxxi yet so I wouldn't know - but the storage facility seemed only to have a few slots available at the beginning, and I'd heard it was supposed to have many more than that. I figured the available space might increase as you made you way through the tournaments, but obviously I might be wrong.

At least you've gained an extra skill point. I'd love one of those, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to solo even the small tourney to get one, let alone do it once per playthrough to get both.

Well, it called it "Storage Deck Upgrade" as opposed to a "Bank Upgrade" which you can buy freely in the vending machines. I don't really see the point in them anyway!

Oh, if you can buy bank upgrades in vending machines you're obviously right and it was a storage deck upgrade. I've no idea really as I've only had one brief and unsuccessful visit to Moxxi's, but I didn't think there were any prizes for the tourneys other than the skill points (and the achievements if you're into them). If there are yet more inventory slots winnable I might have to take it a bit more seriously: I'm afraid I'm a bit of a hoarder and I can never have enough of them.

I think you'd have to be insane to play for the large tournaments without a proper team and a serious bit of commitment, though. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but I think I and most people I used to team with in the old days just wouldn't have the commitment necessary now to meet up and try for an unpausable four hour plus slogathon with every chance of failing and having the four hours become six. It's quite funny how a lot of people on the Gearbox forums are in a rage about the commitment necessary to beat the thing: it was specifically advertised as being for the hardcore and the time commitment needed was made pretty clear by the devs.

I guess the hardcore aren't so hard these days after all.

Just checked the 'Storage Deck Upgrade'...

It's referring to the extra skill points and not backpack.

Lovin' this DLC. Far superior to Zombie Island.

I got this before xmas, with the intention of co-oping split screen during. Didn't get the chance, tried it tonight.

A slow start and then - it just clicks!

Now - was there DLC to give me a storage crate or anything similar?

I'm about Level 10 atm, so does anyone on XBL fancy a hook up/co-op over the next couple of days? :(