Borderlands from Gearbox

ghosted

Noodling in the UI earlier I noticed you can replay earlier recordings (in the Echo Logs within the Mission Log 'Cassette' tab) but there are 3 marked ??? so I'm assuming I've missed something early-on?????

I see

"Let Me Out"

"Under Nine-Toes Skin"

"That Out To Do It"

"I Heard That!"

and then there are 3 x ??? before

"Come On Back"

Anyone care to fill me in there?

Also - a curse on the house of the twat who came up with Scavenger Missions - leaping from tiny platform to tiny platform and getting stuck in the scenery is not fun fellas!

The ones with question marks haven't been missed, it's just that they're they're gibberish (recordings left by raiders?). Play them and you'll see.

I wondered about that - don't remember hearing them in game but it does get a bit hectic at times so I guess I didn't notice em...

I love the Journal recordings tho -

the way she starts going nuts and talking to the recorder as if it hates her

Weapons are drying-up a bit for me now - I'm 26 and my shotty/combat/sniper are 5+ levels old and I've sold/ignored dozens and dozens of inferior weapons meanwhile. It slightly irks me that the quality/level of the weapon isn't really a guide to it's usefulness too, I've lost count of the times I've seen blue/purple weapons that I have better lower quality/lower level versions of - it's just a BIT too random I think. (This also applies to shields - tho I'm getting a healthy supply of classmods - all nice and purple - in fact the worse part is having to lug them all around with me!!)

I did find a shotty which fires rockets tho - unfortunately it inherits the horrendous uselessness that rockets have (and their general lack of damage).

Blue/Purple weapons will be better than the orange ones you've picked up, but only because they are made from higher quality parts. The weapon is made of many different parts: Body, barrel, magazine, scope, etc and it only takes one of these parts to be a high quality part for a rapid increase in rarity and value. For example, you may find a shitty shotgun with an amazing 5x scope. Who needs a scope on a shitty shotgun?

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but the Zombie Island DLC is excellent, isn't it? In terms of enemy variety I think it actually eclipses the rest of the game, which is somewhat ironic considering they're all zombies. It's also made me laugh a few times, especially some of new Claptrap dialogue and ramblings of another character that makes a surprise return.

That said the lack of any kind of Fast Travel or vehicle stations is a bit of annoyance, namely because I keep having to go back and hand in increasing amounts of zombie brains. It isn't that the distance is that bad, but as enemies are constantly springing up I'll sometimes get dazed whilst running past them, so then I have to stop and clear the area a bit. It's not a huge problem but it is the one thing blighting my enjoyment of the content so far.

Possible spoilers ahead but heyho. I'm currently at a boss called

The Destroyer

, and apparently it's

the final boss, or a final boss, or something

. I wouldn't say it's causing me loads of trouble, but it feels like a chore to be popping in and out of cover and chipping away at him only to be killed spectacularly and start over. I've actually been leaping to my death before he kills me so that his energy bar doesn't reset. :) Pretty sure I can manage this with a bit more patience.

EDIT: as an aside, I've played through the game in single-player up to this point. Was hoping to make good progress alone before delving into too much co-op...

EDIT 2: completed the game now after having a brief break from it. And yes, I exploited the lemming technique now and then. :(

If you work out one little thing, said boss becomes pretty much completely powerless in fact :omg:

Well I took out the tentacles which made it temporarily easier...

EDIT: unless you mean

taking out all but one so that they don't respawn

?

Just lost my save (hard drive failure), so am starting afresh with a bezerker. Thing is, he's good at explosives and fists; you don't get any explosives until the mid-teens (unless you do more damage with grenades, or something), and fists don't get any better with use like weapons do, so any kill made in melee is just a waste of possible weapon exp, and melee will just become completely underpowered at higher levels so you'll need the weapon levels. I assume you can put skill points in melee-related things for the bezerker, and I know he has the Rage ability (or whatever it's called), but still. Anybody else played him? What direction did you take with him? I'll probably go shotguns, as they're something I completely neglected with my previous character.

Well I took out the tentacles which made it temporarily easier...

EDIT: unless you mean

taking out all but one so that they don't respawn

?

Kinda both.

But if you take them all out, you should easily be able to kill him before they respawn. And of course he's all but powerless until they do.

There isn't one. Do the quests around your level, sort out your inventory before leaving for each one (so you have plenty of space for fresh loot), buy the best shield that you can, regardless of its cost. Just relax and let the game dictate the pace.

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but the Zombie Island DLC is excellent, isn't it?

I've started it, and the feel of it is very different. Dark and haunting - which while you might expect it if it hadn't been set on an island/in swamps it may have retained the more dayglo cartoony feel of the main game.

For this alone I feel it's worth playing, it certainly captures the mood perfectly.

I wasn't a fan of the Zombie Island DLC. It was too slow paced and the enemies were boring and too easy. They needed guns to provide a challenge, but then they wouldn't be zombies.

Just had a pretty good 3-hour session online with a friend last night, went from lvl4->15. As Brick, with a health bonus shield and all the health upgrades, I have 680hp B) Bezerk is only long enough to regenerate 400-500 of it though.

I also found a revolver (a few levels ago, come to think of it), which does 120 damage, accuracy of 94.4, and the fire rate isn't too bad. I use it instead of a sniper rifle, seeing as the damage and accuracy is better than most of the snipers we're finding.

I killed both Mel and Marley (after a lengthy period of wearing them down) with my bare hands, which was fun.

I lost my PC save file after forgetting to backup my My Games folder when doing a fresh reinstall of windows. Thanks for that, windows update - crashing in the middle of what was already a failed service pack upgrade.

Anyhoo, I plodded through the same 8 or so hours, disheartened at first, but as I chose a new character type (Soldier before, Hunter second time), actually found it playing quite differently and the time flew by.

Now up to level 26 and doing New Haven missions, enjoying it thoroughly. Had to turn off SLI mode as all I was getting was a flickering screen (every alternate frame was not rendering properly). Doesn't matter though, getting 60fps at full hd with all the trimmings switched on. Times like these I really wish MS and Sony actually would announce a new console, so I can get excited about console graphics again.

So, I'm thinking ahead - I really want to push my character to his level cap - is it worth doing a second playthrough before getting the DLC, or is it better to plough straight into them with whatever level you end up with at the end of the first playthrough?

Also, I'm an anti-social bastard, am I going to struggle at any point by not playing it co-op? Seems to have been ok so far, couple of places have taken a while to chip away at bosses but other than that it's been fine.

Just had a pretty good 3-hour session online with a friend last night, went from lvl4->15. As Brick, with a health bonus shield and all the health upgrades, I have 680hp B) Bezerk is only long enough to regenerate 400-500 of it though.

I also found a revolver (a few levels ago, come to think of it), which does 120 damage, accuracy of 94.4, and the fire rate isn't too bad. I use it instead of a sniper rifle, seeing as the damage and accuracy is better than most of the snipers we're finding.

I killed both Mel and Marley (after a lengthy period of wearing them down) with my bare hands, which was fun.

Moe

Also, I'm an anti-social bastard, am I going to struggle at any point by not playing it co-op? Seems to have been ok so far, couple of places have taken a while to chip away at bosses but other than that it's been fine.

The NPC levels scale depending on the number and levels of players, I think. So, a lvl 10 enemy will still be lvl10, but will better, so it's as much of a challenge for 2 players as it is for one. Or something. You certainly don't need another player to do any bits of the game, and chipping away is still chipping away even with two or more people.

Moe

Oh yeah. You know what I meant.

I found one of those "one in a million" guns earlier - forgot to screenie it but I did note it's stats...

Pistol - Purple - Level 24 - 71x2 85% 14/sec - that's 1988 damage/sec without crits It's a Vladof so larger mag? 19 shots held on mine (Zerker).

Much as it's enormously satisfying carving things up - it does seem to 'jam' tho. There are times when it refuses to fire or reload until you swap it out and in again, not seen this on any other weapon (and I'm not out of ammo!!)

People keep telling me that as a Zerker I should just punch stuff to death but I've gone 'Tank' which gives me a huge shield/life (860-odd and 1200 at 31) - plus a fast shield regen when it depletes - plus damage+ and incoming damage when it deplets - so I'm pretty hard to kill. I rotate between a bit-hitting combat rifle, a BIG hitting purple shotty and the pistols, mainly to ensure they level-up a bit (tho if I see more than 3 enemies I zerk'em!!)

I did the 2nd (Rust West) skirmish/arena challenge thing and the last part (multiple Badass Bruisers) was a MASSIVE laugh - I died about 5 times, Second Winded every one, body parts everywhere - enormous fun.

That's the thing with Borderlands - the fun isn't in the bosses/setpieces (they tend to be a bit boring in fact) - it's in the massive skirmishes and crazy "charrrrrge"-in moments :omg:

Well I made it to The Vault - the parts leading upto it are superbly paced but my PC took objection to one area

(the bit where you re-enable the ECHO)

resulting in me having to restart the game each time I entered/left it :D

That aside tho - erm - it's a BIT of an anti-climax isn't it? There was me expecting riches and fame and I get to start all over again instead!? It's quite grating to go from "that's it, you're opened the vault" to "I want you to know the vault is real" in the space of 1 playsession ;)

Anyway - now seems a good time to visit Zombie Island??

I found my first orange weapon yesterday

A shotgun, about 800 damage but holds 20 shells. Amazingly good.

I got a shotgun earlier which fires it's entire clip in 1 go (The Boomstick) - useless but funny the first time you use it :angry:

I found my first orange weapon yesterday

A shotgun, about 800 damage but holds 20 shells. Amazingly good.

Orange, or gold? If orange I've never seen one!

Looking forward to playthrough 2 with our co-op group :angry:

I got a shotgun earlier which fires it's entire clip in 1 go (The Boomstick) - useless but funny the first time you use it :angry:

yeah, i have/had that, entertaining but you dont want to miss...

Orange, or gold? If orange I've never seen one!

Looking forward to playthrough 2 with our co-op group :D

hmm, it could be gold but looked more like orange to me. Are there orange guns?

[quick google later]

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons

There are 7 confirmed rarity levels. (Do note that weapons listed in the inventory screen might have a darker text color than what is shown in the weapon box when that weapon is selected, so it would help to compare, say, across all your orange rarity weapons to check for differences in color.)

Level 1 = White, rarity = 0-4.

Level 2 = Green, rarity = 5-10.

Level 3 = Blue, rarity = 11-15.

Level 4 = Purple, rarity = 16-49.

Level 5 = Light Orange, rarity = 50-60.

Level 6 = Orange, rarity = 61-65.

Level 7 = Dark Orange, rarity = 66-100.

orange then, found in a box rather than dropped.

DLC #3 Revealed?

Posting on the Gearbox forums today, haTts, a level designer for our new favorite developer has confirmed that a third piece of DLC is in the works, and that it will increase the level cap. It will also apparently be the biggest yet and possibly be coupled with yet another title update to fix "a bunch of issues" that still remain.

"After finalizing Zombies DLC, the team and I began reading the DLC feedback around the forums on the wants and desires. Guess what, level cap increase anyone? Got it and it's awesome. Hopefully we can get a full announcement out to you guys soon but, man is this the biggest DLC we have made. So don’t worry, we are working really hard right now on both the update (that solves a bunch of issues) and the DLC."

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showp...amp;postcount=1

Nice to know - there does seem to be a limit to how much DLC developers will produce and I'm wondering if 3 is going to be all they do tho.

What Borderlands really really needs is a semi-random area scaled to player level (and not just an arena-style enemy zerg) - with random bosses who carry special loot etc.

Just somewhere to go when the pain of PT2 becomes too intense or you can't face ANOTHER round of zombies or Mad Moxxis or whatever!?

For PT2 I respecced from pure Tank to pure Berserk and it\'s enormously entertaining (esp Sting like a Bee) - I also love that hitting things makes cash!! :ph34r:

Melee outside of Berserk isn\'t so amazing tho - esp on Zombie Island where the Zombies really only harm you closeup so you want to avoid getting close to groups (unless you\'re Berserk at the time) so i suspect investing heavily in melee is a bit of a waste...

It\'s also worth noting that a maxxed-out Tank build really makes the game ridiculously easy - you are almost impossible to kill and even if you do die, you get a month to get Second Wind - it really makes the game a bit trivial at times...

p.p.s. This is what I\'ve been toying with tonight - it gives a nice range of abilities without piling too much into 1 particular skill or making you too OP - it also mates well with a Warmonger classmod for carnage ;)

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltre...055001100510000

p.s. I don\'t fully understand the elemental stuff on stats, but what I can tell you is that this gun

hellfire.JPG

is freaking awesome. Almost anything I hit even just once or twice will burn to death before it reaches me AND I\'m pretty sure things which are nearby catch fire too...

It took out the wereskag with the cool hat with just 1 mag - that's kinda silly

Makes me sad I didn't buy this one really

defiler.JPG

I'm sorta assuming that the x4 means it does 4 times as much damage as stated - and all of it's damage is elemental (as Burning Psychos are completely immune to the fire one).