The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Solid SOAP

I don't doubt they'll be good. I thought Twilight Princess was a good game too. But it failed to grab me in the way Ocarina of Time did and I'm afraid that's unlikely that'll ever happen again. Probably a combination of having played too many Zeldas to be surprised, becoming a grumpy old man and other developers catching up and overtaking Nintendo in the Amaze department.

oh no... You're about to suggest tht Okami is better than Zelda. Noooooooooooooo.

I'd like to see dungeons with a bit more mystery. With a back story you have to figure out.

As for a lot of people the dungeons are a focal point, to add some story into them, where you have to solve a riddle, unlock some of the past maybe? Like the Mansion in TP, or the thieves' hide out in LttP.

I'd like to see dungeons with a bit more mystery. With a back story you have to figure out.

As for a lot of people the dungeons are a focal point, to add some story into them, where you have to solve a riddle, unlock some of the past maybe? Like the Mansion in TP, or the thieves' hide out in LttP.

TP was heading in the right direction with this, more would be well appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I have the distinct feeling that the Europe, US and Japan releases will coincide. Wasn't there only like 2 weeks between the Japan release of Mario Galaxy and the Europe one? Whereas Metroid Prime 3 was out in Europe and US before Japan. Its nowhere near as bad as what it was 10 years ago, so expect Zelda to be released over here this year.

100% ? :ph34r:

Fine, you're happy with a remix every couple of years. The exact same mechanics, mostly the same weapons and tools, the same sound effects, the same 'small key.. use only once in this dungeon..' and the exact same structure padded out with marathon, pointless backtracking collectathons. It's getting a bit boring IMO.

Just my opinion.

But how much can they rigidly stick to the exact same template and still call it a new Zelda?

I'm not a developer. If I had that answer I would be rich.

I'd like to see far greater use of the Wiimote speaker than we've had so far. Zelda's could do this in the form of a companion like Navi (granted, not a new feature but it would be more immersive this time round.) It's pretty much a given that the remote/nunchuck will be used for sword/shield, boomerang, slingshot and aiming the hookshot, but perhaps the balance board could be used for the heavy boots Link wears.

Just some thoughts on the matter :ph34r:

Fine, you're happy with a remix every couple of years. The exact same mechanics, mostly the same weapons and tools, the same sound effects, the same 'small key.. use only once in this dungeon..' and the exact same structure padded out with marathon, pointless backtracking collectathons. It's getting a bit boring IMO.

I'm not suggesting that they can't change anything, but the template is the game; overworld, dungeons, puzzles, story, adventure - Link, Ganon, Princess Zelda. Over the years within that template they've played around with duality, temporal time travel, different graphics etc. but the game is still the game. I just don't see how they can alter that, or why fans would want that. Surely we look forward to a new Zelda because it's more of the same, otherwise we wouldn't get excited by it at all, would we?

It's pretty much a given that the remote/nunchuck will be used for sword/shield, boomerang, slingshot and aiming the hookshot, but perhaps the balance board could be used for the heavy boots Link wears.

I think this is what turns me off, to be honest. The same old same old in terms of weapons and equipment. The question is how much can that change and still retain the Zelda feel but my gripe is how much can it stay the same and still feel new and exciting? How many times can the boomerang feel exciting?

I know I'm being a grump about this :( .

People always say this, but just how far can Nintendo veer from the template yet still deliver a game that they can call Zelda?

Yeah and all the calls for change really make me worried that they'll consider co-operizing Zelda (link and tetra/zelda is so, so obvious) which would kill it dead for me.

There's loads of scope for tweaking though without straying from the basic formula - without even thinking, Nintendo could add more depth to the side quests, add more side quests, add more towns/hamlets/places with loads more interesting npcs, add dungeons, add more to travelling, add more scenic and bigger travel locations,more nooks and crannies to explore, more clothing/armour and special suit options for Link, different swords and shields to complement the gizmos, more gizmos, more animals providing assistance - how about being able to summon wildlife, cute bunnies or wii fit/animal crossing stylee cats or dogs would be excellent, to help out with fighting or puzzling. Jesus, its easy. Nintendo should employ me :(

Well I'd say that the boomerang has been made more exciting in the DS Zeldas with use of the touchscreen. It's still the same old boomerang but how you interact with it is different, and innovative. The same will, I think, happen with the new Wii Zelda. The remote and motionplus offers a whole load of new ways to interact within the same old formula. So it's what you're asking for really, the same old, but new. That didn't really happen with Twilight Princess due to it being first and foremost a GC game.

They dared to do something different with Majora's Mask and that turned out to be one of the best games ever made and still a Zelda game first and foremost. Every Zelda game since has been disappointing to me because they never managed to get close to Majora's brilliance again - and tbh they never even really tried because they reverted back to the tired old and stale formula.

Zelda 2710

After the devastating effect of the Goron Bombs on Hyrule a small orphan with mutated ears struggles to survive in a world ravaged by war and goron fallout. Hearing voices in his head, and with delusions of a grand quest, the boy sets off on his adventure to find the 7 sages, that don't actually exist.

* Experience Zelda as never before, interact with the world using wii motion plus, nintendo balance board, nunchuck, heartbeat sensor and the classic controller.

*Explore a devastated Hyrule, the ruins of Kakariko City, the damaged underground roots of the Mana Tree Complex building, and some wastelands or something.

*Fight mutant cuckoos!

*Obtain you're very own hover bike "Epona V6000" to explore this vast open world.

They dared to do something different with Majora's Mask and that turned out to be one of the best games ever made and still a Zelda game first and foremost. Every Zelda game since has been disappointing to me because they never managed to get close to Majora's brilliance again - and tbh they never even really tried because they reverted back to the tired old and stale formula.

Definately. I'm happy with the overworld-dungeon- small key- new item- big key- boss fight template, because it's what they do with it that counts. And they can most surely improve upon recent uses of it.

All they need to do is give Link a new set of equipment!!! The inventory is what makes old time zelda fans like me bored. Scrap the old boomerang / bombs / hookshot and get something new in there! They already try to do this, as every zelda game has a new item or two, but the recent ones have been a bit cack tbh. I mean wtf was that spinny disk thing in TP all about? :/

The thing that makes zelda fun is the items and how they are used to complete the dungeons. Once you figure out how an items interacts with the world then it is hard to feel satisfied when you use the same logic in a later game. This is why pretty much everyone feels their fondest zelda experience is their first one, I'd say. And why I found Okami to be such a joy.

I look forward to the next zelda, but it'll never be as memorable as when I did Link to the Past. Here's hoping for something as inventive as Majora's Mask again, eh?

Yeah, I'd rather they try something new, even if they fail, rather than not even trying and just reskinning the same game over and over.

I know I'm in the minority but I like Zelda the way it is. I'd be over the moon if they stuck to the template for the next one.

There are enough new games released, based on new IP all doing new and different things. I like Zelda as a little haven of familiarity, almost cosy with it's conventions and framework of overworld & dungeons.

Everyone is crying out for change, but it seems to be change for the sake of it. Twilight Princess was a very good game, a little sparse in parts and not perfect but still great. In my opinion Zelda doesn't need a overhaul/reboot, call it what you will.

Yes they did. They re-worked the same basic formula into seomthing completely fresh. The actual gameplay though, the 'template' remanined the same.