IGNORED

Clark - Totems Flare

Shoes

I wasn't going to make a separate topic about this, but fuck me, it's brilliant.

WARPCD185_Packshot_480-opt.jpg

It's a mixture between his 2007 LP, Turning Dragon, which was very hard dance, and 2006's Body Riddle, an IDM, drum kit-sampling extravaganza. Totems Flare combines the two - it's extremely hard, but it's got IDM melodies. And the melodies are much better than Clark has written before. Maybe hanging out with Bibio has done him good. There are staple little musical vignettes after songs, Boards of Canada - or any IDM act - style, and they're beautiful here. Clark's always been technically gifted, but melodically he hasn't been really interesting. He is here, though, and the album closer, 'Absence', is sublime - again taking a page out of Bibio's book, it's a sampled guitar with a lot of reverb on it. It sounds amazing.

I'm rambling, though. It's the album of the year thus far for me, and one of the best electronic albums I've heard it ages. I love it.

IDM is intelligent dance music - stupid name, but it's used for guys like Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, etc. It's not really a mix of house and techno, either. 'Hard dance' doesn't really describe it. It's really hard to pigeon hole. At the moment, I'm thinking Justice but turned up to eleven.

Here's Growls Garden. Which is, I think, one of the weakest tracks on the album.

I've just finished listening to it, certainly the best album I've heard from him but like his others it starts strongly and peters out a little for me by the end.

Rainbow Voodoo is my favourite track, the little plinky-plonk synth rhythm that kicks in about 3 minutes through over the punishing beats is so danceable - really strong melodies.

I don't know if it peters out, really. Rainbow Voodoo is certainly the highlight of the album. It's batshit crazy. I was worried about vocals after the Growls Garden EP, but he's used them really, really well.

Those drums on 'Suns of Temper' are possibly the phattest things I've ever heard.

I don't know if it peters out, really. Rainbow Voodoo is certainly the highlight of the album. It's batshit crazy. I was worried about vocals after the Growls Garden EP, but he's used them really, really well.

Those drums on 'Suns of Temper' are possibly the phattest things I've ever heard.

I'll give it another listen later, it may have been because the album highlight came at Track 3 that I was expecting mentally for more of that ultra-high standard. Good record though.

Yeah this is pretty damn good.

Very occasionally feels like IDM by numbers, crunchy digital beats & random arpeggios, but it's all very well done.

I have no idea why people are down on Growls Garden, it's my favourite track on the album.

Been listening to this alot recently. It's the sort of thing I'd think of as a proper Warp album, the sort of stuff they used to put out in their hayday in the mid to late 90s. Real class production, nice and punchy beats, I rather like it. Now warp just need to ditch the likes of !!! and get back to it (although I'll except Bibio from the cull).

Yeah this is pretty damn good.

Very occasionally feels like IDM by numbers, crunchy digital beats & random arpeggios, but it's all very well done.

I have no idea why people are down on Growls Garden, it's my favourite track on the album.

I think it's only because I absolutely reamed Growls Garden when the EP was released. Now it sounds sort of stale.

I don't think the album has many random arpeggios. Rainbow Voodoo's one is random, but it suits the track perfectly and is hilarious. I always laugh when it starts.

Future Daniel is awesome. Perfect track title, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked this up on the recommendations in this thread and it really is great. I actually love Garden's Growl, I think it's probably the best track on the album. The chilling intro synths then the breakdown into the chorus is brilliant.

Nice to hear something that sounds like warp, but very new and shiny. Chaz is right about growl's garden. Awesomeness.

I've always ignored clark until now, may check out some of his earlier stuff.

Nice to hear something that sounds like warp, but very new and shiny. Chaz is right about growl's garden. Awesomeness.

I've always ignored clark until now, may check out some of his earlier stuff.

I managed to find a discography download, been going through some of his earlier stuff today. Really really good, but a little different to the style in Totem's Flare - less/no vocals and more crunchy beats. Really liking it though.