Worms 2: Armageddon

northy

Sigh. I never understood why they don't just release Worms 2/Armaggeddon as a straight port. Minimum hassle/time required, and they're easily still the best two games of the series. Reading the title of this game made me hopeful it was some sort of 2/A hybrid or bundle pack, but my hopes were dashed when I saw the trailers :D

Achievements are going to take ages to get, compared to the first game

Only that Ranked Master and Fast, Pink & Hard ones really, the others will come just playing I'd have thought.

Excited by this, I still play the first one semi-regularly.

It's still disappointing that it isn't the 'proper' Worms 2 Armageddon....

I'll get it anyway as I'm a bit of a mug and Worms is still one of the best multiplayer games for me and my chums but I'd love them to have all of the amendable stats for blast radius etc and all the weapon sets. They never seem to have a good enough or varied enough set up in the game itself.

Well, this is confusing/stupid.

Worms Armageddon was the follow-up to Worms 2, y'see.

That's precisely the idea though I think, they're trying to stitch up / confuse people into thinking this is a Worms Armageddon port or a sequel to WA directly but it clearly isn't.... Seems a bit cheeky if you ask me.

That's precisely the idea though I think, they're trying to stitch up / confuse people into thinking this is a Worms Armageddon port or a sequel to WA directly but it clearly isn't.... Seems a bit cheeky if you ask me.

The project actually started as an anniversary edition of Armageddon and was called Worms Armageddon: Decade. Team17 changed it, though, because they didn't want people to think it was just a special edition of the "Worms" that currently exists on XBLA. Sticking a 2 in there lets all the less hardcore gamers no that it's all new content in comparison to the previous XBLA game.

The project actually started as an anniversary edition of Armageddon and was called Worms Armageddon: Decade. Team17 changed it, though, because they didn't want people to think it was just a special edition of the "Worms" that currently exists on XBLA. Sticking a 2 in there lets all the less hardcore gamers no that it's all new content in comparison to the previous XBLA game.

Bizarrely though, it seems to be a cut down version of Armageddon, which was exactly what annoyed me about the first XBLA worms release, it was a worse version of a really old game. If it was just Armageddon with console controls and maybe a bit of a spit and polish (and not having to pay for backgrounds, which don't actually add ANYTHING to the game, just make repeated playing at least a bit more varied to look at) then fair play but calling it Armageddon when it doesn't even have all the features from that is a bit odd. Hopefully I'm proved wrong and all the customisation stuff does make it in.

Bizarrely though, it seems to be a cut down version of Armageddon, which was exactly what annoyed me about the first XBLA worms release, it was a worse version of a really old game. If it was just Armageddon with console controls and maybe a bit of a spit and polish (and not having to pay for backgrounds, which don't actually add ANYTHING to the game, just make repeated playing at least a bit more varied to look at) then fair play but calling it Armageddon when it doesn't even have all the features from that is a bit odd. Hopefully I'm proved wrong and all the customisation stuff does make it in.

There are certain things that are never going to be done on console to the same level as a PC, and customization is one of them. Still, this one does have a little bit of in-game customisation, if you see what I mean. And it is the most comprehensive console iteration to date. It has fire, tons of weapons, the vertical maps that were in Open Warfare 2, custom schemes including rope races. It might have evolved into something quite different to the original Armageddon, but the sub-title does at least signpost the sheer wealth of content that's in there.

There are certain things that are never going to be done on console to the same level as a PC, and customization is one of them. Still, this one does have a little bit of in-game customisation, if you see what I mean. And it is the most comprehensive console iteration to date. It has fire, tons of weapons, the vertical maps that were in Open Warfare 2, custom schemes including rope races. It might have evolved into something quite different to the original Armageddon, but the sub-title does at least signpost the sheer wealth of content that's in there.

I don't fully understand why customisation can't be included in the console version? Why can't you pick weapon sets at the very least? That's one of the most crucial bits to making entertaining Worms battles between friends. Even the damage counter could easily just be a list with higher/ lower buttons at the end of each line. Or is it more related to the saving of settings?

If it's just that as it's a console game, people don't care, I do find that slightly disappointing. Either way, it does sound better than the previous one, which was even a backstep from the DC version. Tell me one thing, is the super sheep in it?

I don't fully understand why customisation can't be included in the console version? Why can't you pick weapon sets at the very least?

It has things like that - basic customisation that can be done using the game settings. But you're never going to be able to import your own level images or make your own soundbanks like you could on Amiga.

And yes, Super Sheep is in it. As is the Concrete Donkey, Buffalo Of Lies, Gas Pump, Molotov Cocktail, Bunker Buster, Lightning, Holy Hand Grenade, Emergency Teleport and all kinds of other cool stuff.

And yes, Super Sheep is in it. As is the Concrete Donkey, Buffalo Of Lies, Gas Pump, Molotov Cocktail, Bunker Buster, Lightning, Holy Hand Grenade, Emergency Teleport and all kinds of other cool stuff.

Buffalo of Lies? Gas Pump? Fuck that shit, just release a direct remake of Armageddon already. Or actually a remake of 2/Armageddon, with all the weapons that were in 2, like the Homing Cluster Grenade and Homing Air Strike (and a couple of others i've forgotten). So erm, a game that is something like what the title of this new XBLA release directly implies.

It has things like that - basic customisation that can be done using the game settings. But you're never going to be able to import your own level images or make your own soundbanks like you could on Amiga.

Oh, good stuff in that case, I didn't really expect the custom backgrounds and soundbanks, it was more the damage etc / the weaon sets and amount of barrels / crate drops and so on. Sorry, I was a bit vague.

Good to hear the sheep and the holy hand grenade are back in though. I'll deffo be getting this then I should think...

• 3 weeks later...

Direct link on MarketPlace for easy launch day purchasing...

http://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/w/worms2armageddonxbla/

Feature list...

SENSATIONAL NEW WEAPONS!

• Sentry Gun! Defend your position with this deadly guardian.

• Electro Magnet! Attract or repel deadly metallic explosives with this unique item.

• Bunker Buster! Use this vertical missile to dig out enemy Worms that have snuck away!

• Buffalo Of Lies! The Donkey’s nemesis, this Trojan Buffalo will cause havoc!

• Super Bunker Buster! Devastating below ground charge!

RETURNING CULT FAVOURITES FROM ARMAGEDDON (in addition to all WORMS weapons)

• Super Sheep! Take your fluffy flocking friend to the air! A controllable, flying super sheep!

• Holy Hand Grenade! Hallelujah! The Deity’s weapon of choice!

• Concrete Donkey! It’s back! As mad and wildly destructive as ever!

• Napalm! Love the smell of burning Worms in the morning?

• Petrol Bomb! This cocktail packs a mighty roasting for enemies. Lob one today.

• Armageddon! Not quite the end as we know it, but it could be for your enemies!

• Parachute! A roper’s best friend! Drop huge heights with wind assist…

• Drill! Dig to victory with the pneumatic drill.

• Baseball Bat. Whack out enemy Worms for a home run cheer!

• Earthquake! Can you rumble the opponent?

• Poison Strike! Germ warfare!

NEW GAME FEATURES

• All new high definition, widescreen artwork

• Reworked audio-visuals throughout

• Fire! Persistent fire eats and burns away the landscape. Hot stuff.

• Crazy Crates! Start with basic weapons and shop as you go!

• Fort Mode! Start teams on your own bases.

• Rope Racing mode.

• Massively enhanced & improved game physics & reactions.

• Speedier, more direct gameplay.

• All new high-definition audio (sound effects, music)

• Speak your mind! Massive variety of comedy voice sets with many all new.

• All new crazy achievements.

• All new extensive customisation, Worm Hats, voices, graves, dances, colours, forts!

• Uses NXE Avatars to reflect game status in game!

• All new Single Player adventure combines death matches and puzzles.

• Win tokens in the all-new 30 chapter single player campaign to win prizes in the game SHOP, unlock new landscapes, voices, hats and more.

• Enhanced CPU AI for more challenging single player games.

• Improved online handling, including host migration for network play.

• All new leaderboards and leaderboard objectives.

NEW GAMEPLAY LEVELS

• 5 all new landscapes graphical types modelled on the original Armageddon style. Battle in Medieval England, Cheese Moon, Construction site and more.

• 130 base landscape styles (compared to just six on original) for diverse play levels.

• Vertical Levels! Play on tall, narrow strips or caverns as well as traditional ‘wide’ levels.

• Mix combinations of landscape type, style, your own game rules and more to create thousands of possible levels and hundreds, if not thousands of hours of replay value.