Assassin's Creed 2

Monkichi 3.0

I've still to stealthily creep up on someone I've stalked (in the game Assassin's Creed 2) and take them down like an assassin. I've had to fend off guards or I've triggered a cutscene. I'm about twelve hours in and must say that Ezio having tourette's wouldn't really disadvantage him as an assassin as it doesn't seem to require any finesse thus far.

I've still to stealthily creep up on someone I've stalked (in the game Assassin's Creed 2) and take them down like an assassin. I've had to fend off guards or I've triggered a cutscene. I'm about twelve hours in and must say that Ezio having tourette's wouldn't really disadvantage him as an assassin as it doesn't seem to require any finesse thus far.

I've done a few now. Have you tried the assassin side missions? They don't trigger cutscenes.

I did one in Florence the other day. The target was some merchant who was hanging around the market. I got up on the rooftops and scoped him out, then went down into the ground level and blended with the crowd just in case he spotted me when I got too close. I found a seat near to where he was wandering up and down so I could check the area out, and noticed a single guard looking at the target (obviously placed there by the devs as an obstacle). While the target's back was facing me, I got up and sprinkled some coins into the crowd behind the guard, and he turned around to see what all the commotion was about. Once it had died down, he didn't turn back towards the target, leaving me to move in. Coincidentally, a couple of groups of people were moving right next to the target at this point, so I was able to crowd-hop and assassinate him silently, and no-one saw me do it. I was free to wander a few yards away and spend my hard-earned cash on dying my clothes.

Of course, I could have just sprinted in, plunged by blade into him in full sight of the guard, then legged it, but that just wouldn't have been as fun.

Also, the officials who appear when you are notorious are great for practicing silent kills on.

There are two extra tombs in the game. One is in your villa town and has some story bacground about your great great granddad who built the villa. You get that from the Uplay bollocks. The second is some tomb connected to the Medici building in Florence. In America you got that from pre-ordering from Gamespot or something, I don't know how or if it was possible in the UK. At any rate, they said they would release it on DLC eventually anyway.

There are two extra tombs in the game. One is in your villa town and has some story bacground about your great great granddad who built the villa. You get that from the Uplay bollocks.

So you just have to sign up for Uplay to get it. To be honest, I'm happy to put up with any spam because the tombs are among the best bits of the game.

The second is some tomb connected to the Medici building in Florence.

Ah, right. Well, the one I got was in the Arsenale in Venice. So while it's annoying that I didn't get those with my version of the game - and the whole idea of restricting content in this way is surely one of the most irritating new developments of this current generation - if they're going to be eventually available by DLC, then at least I've got more of that lovely platformy goodness to come.

The platform bits are great aren't they? This series truly is the spiritual successor to Sands of Time. About the music again; I love the minimalist electonica that plays a lot of the time in Florence as you go about doing your thing. It's hypnotic.

Yeah, it is a bit annoying that they restricted it to certain versions. I think the Black Edition is the definitive version to get if you want everything right away. I only got the regular release so I've only been able to get the extra tomb from the Uplay thing. Incidentally, the Uplay thing doesn't seem that bad. It's integrated into the game quite well. It could be great if it takes off.

The platform bits are great aren't they? This series truly is the spiritual successor to Sands of Time.

In a way, though, I kind of hope it isn't. Because these tombs with a few more walls to run on and Sands of Time controls would be wonderful squared as opposed to just wonderful. It's still just a touch too automated to be as satisfying as PoP's room-spanning puzzle-platforming.

Just so we're clear, there are four extra tombs. :P There's the Auditore crypt (available through Uplay), the Arsenale, the Palazzo Medici and the Santa Maria dei Frari. At the moment, the only way to get all of them is by purchasing the Black Edition, as Pupponvesh said.

The platform bits are great aren't they? This series truly is the spiritual successor to Sands of Time. About the music again; I love the minimalist electonica that plays a lot of the time in Florence as you go about doing your thing. It's hypnotic.

You're seriously comparing the platforming in this to SoT? Oh, mannn...

I got the Arsenale with my copy from GameStation. It was a special edition, apparently, although the only indication is that it cost £3 more, came with said code in the box and has random foil lines on the box art.

I remember hearing on a podcast that the tombs were designed by Ubi Soft Shanghai. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Just so we're clear, there are four extra tombs. :P There's the Auditore crypt (available through Uplay), the Arsenale, the Palazzo Medici and the Santa Maria dei Frari. At the moment, the only way to get all of them is by purchasing the Black Edition, as Pupponvesh said.

Yep that's how I understood it. Having only got the standard edition. I've only played the uPlay Auditore Crypt, but wondered if the other special tombs held anything worth having? They provide nice little puzzles and areas to explore etc, but I was kinda expecting better rewards than just money (and a seal in the case of the main game tombs).

Would be cool to find different legendary weapons or new dyes etc.

Fuck's sake. I'd be tempted to trade my copy in for that, except it's probably not available any more, is it?

Oh, shut up...

I'm with Rudderless and Meh on this one. The tombs do provide a nice change of pace but it's not really 'proper' platforming in the same sense as SoT.

Fuck's sake. I'd be tempted to trade my copy in for that, except it's probably not available any more, is it?

They were all sold out before launch but as people have said before, the tombs are bound to turn up as DLC somewhere down the line.

Getting slightly weary of targets having ESP or having a jump go wrong and bringing the whole set up crashing down again. Lost count of the times I've muttered "oh...just fuck off! to myself today.

The shine has certainly rubbed off a bit...stunning to look at, mind.

I never did get that unlock code to work, so the only Extra Tomb i've seen is the Uplay one. Are the other 3 worth waiting for?

That's not to say i'll be trading in the game mind you as it's definitely a keeper, just wondering if the Extra Tombs are anything special.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's great when it does work, but it feels so inconsistent. Sometimes you'll execute what you think should be a perfect counter-kill and Ezio will just parry and try to punch his opponent, swinging and missing. Other times you'll execute a perfect double assassination and feel incredibly badass, then you'll try to do the same again, and he'll only target one enemy, leaving you to try and deal with the other.

There's too much emphasis on countering, which can make it feel a little attritional, particularly when you're dealing with the bigger enemies. The lock-on can be a little capricious, too - you'll sometimes focus on a less dangerous foe instead of the lumbering chap with his back to you who you'd love to stab through the spine but can't because the controls just aren't quite right.

Ugh, I'm not meaning to single you out but so many people have dissed the combat in AC2 and I feel I just need to make a few points...

Counter-kills 'not working', i.e. the enemy blocks and Ezio just punches them. This is because you can't parry those enemy types. Dodges or disarms are what you want to try instead.

Double stealth/spike kills only work outside of combat situations. (i.e. when the radar isn't framed in red)

Lock on not targeting who you want - press the direction you want to attack in and Ezio will listen, even though the lock on looks like it's on a different guy. Confusing, but you can attack whoever you want.

Also, I don't feel the combat is too much about parrying; though you can just stand an wait, it's much more fun (and looks cooler) to mix in taunts/throws in between enemy attacks.

As for 'button mashing' some people have mentioned; if you button mash it takes approx twice as many hits before you down an opponent. Time each press of the attack button with the impact of the previous attack and you knock away their guard much quicker and get an insta kill.

I appreciate that it isn't quite as fluid and awesome as Batman's combat, but maaaaan it is still a pretty badass system tbh

:)

I also want to rant at people who've dissed the platforming but the Mrs is nagging me to come to bed so I'm off for now :D

Okay, fair points generally, but...

Double stealth/spike kills only work outside of combat situations. (i.e. when the radar isn't framed in red)

That's not true - I've double-spiked two enemies during a scrap before.

Lock on not targeting who you want - press the direction you want to attack in and Ezio will listen, even though the lock on looks like it's on a different guy. Confusing, but you can attack whoever you want.

I was mainly referring to the projectile weapons, though occasionally the targeting can be awkward when you're going for a vertical assassination.

Also, I don't feel the combat is too much about parrying; though you can just stand an wait, it's much more fun (and looks cooler) to mix in taunts/throws in between enemy attacks.

That's not really possible when you're surrounded, though, is it? The majority of the time you WILL need to have RT held down.

As for 'button mashing' some people have mentioned; if you button mash it takes approx twice as many hits before you down an opponent. Time each press of the attack button with the impact of the previous attack and you knock away their guard much quicker and get an insta kill.

I agree with that. It's not easy to get the timing down, but I've had a few kills like that.

I appreciate that it isn't quite as fluid and awesome as Batman's combat, but maaaaan it is still a pretty badass system tbh

:)

Yeah, I think it's brilliant when it works perfectly, but for me it's just not quite responsive and intuitive enough. Very occasionally it feels like you're fighting the controls as well as your enemies. Same goes for the platforming - vast majority of the time it works perfectly - occasionally Ezio's either too sticky, or can leap the wrong way. And on more than one occasion tonight, he's leapt forward twice instead of once. Happens fairly infrequently, but just enough to make it a bit of an irritant.

I found the combat inferior to the first simply due to enemies who appear open no longer being so -- for all the fancy and varied animations, it is dumbed down and less engaging. Not that I didn't enjoy ambling through the game, but I don't think it once approached the exhilaration the first achieved for all its faults. It felt like I was permanently in God Mode or something.

Okay, fair points generally, but...

That's not true - I've double-spiked two enemies during a scrap before.

Ah, well I suppose it is possible if the enemies aren't facing you/fighting someone else :)

I was mainly referring to the projectile weapons, though occasionally the targeting can be awkward when you're going for a vertical assassination.

This is fair enough - I've stopped using the projectiles since I got to Venice - having to use two per enemy kinda ruins the effect tbh.

That's not really possible when you're surrounded, though, is it? The majority of the time you WILL need to have RT held down.

Ah, but grabs and throws are good to clear space when surrounded! :D And taunts will most likely make someone attack if you're finding a big gap between enemy attacks.

As for the jumping twice thing - I did that a few times at the beginning of the game, but once I got use to the controls it hasn't happened again - are you sure you're not just holding A a little bit too long? ;)

Ah, well I suppose it is possible if the enemies aren't facing you/fighting someone else :)

This is fair enough - I've stopped using the projectiles since I got to Venice - having to use two per enemy kinda ruins the effect tbh.

Ah, but grabs and throws are good to clear space when surrounded! :D And taunts will most likely make someone attack if you're finding a big gap between enemy attacks.

As for the jumping twice thing - I did that a few times at the beginning of the game, but once I got use to the controls it hasn't happened again - are you sure you're not just holding A a little bit too long? ;)

Well, I expect Ezio not to jump a second after I've let go of A. I'm often finding I have to let it go much earlier than seems instinctive to do so. It's perhaps an idiosyncrasy rather than a genuine issue, but it takes a bit of brain rewiring to get it right every time.

Good shout on the throws - barely used them, if I'm honest. I wish there was a larger pouch for the smoke bombs, as I find them incredibly useful (and almost certainly necessary for me to get the No-Hitter Achievement).