Assassin's Creed 2

Monkichi 3.0

Yeah but in the age before DLC, they would have left it on the cutting room floor and just removed any signs of the missing memories etc. in the game.

In a "glass half full" way, we're getting to experience content that in a bygone era we would never have been able to get our hands on.

I don't know, just an idea.

Or in a bygone era they would have left the content in the game?

That presumes it was in anything approaching a shippable state. The first bit won't be coming out until around 3 months after the game was sent to manufacture, and if they hadn't cut it from the initial release who knows how its development would have affected other things; the game isn't exactly bug-free as is.

Personally I don't have much of an issue with it. The game isn't exactly short — some people on here were complaining it was too long! — and although I haven't seen any European pricing it comes in at $9 for the pair; that's 720 MS points for a frame of reference.

As much as some companies clearly take the piss with DLC, I don't have any issues at all in this instance. For me AC2 is a very good game which is a decent length, and works as a cohesive whole, even taking into account the 'missing' chapters. To be honest, I think if it were any longer it might have outstayed its welcome, so leaving it for a few months and then coming back and playing a few extra missions will work well for me.

I completed this the other day (970/1000 as couldn't be assed getting all the feathers) and when I started reading some forums and saw mention of Templar bases and stuff I was like "aww damn, I wanted to kill some templars and raid their tombs :(".

Will gladly rent this out again when the DLC for templar bases is released.

I am not sure I am up to buying the additional content, given the January release schedule and expected dlc for DA:O.

However, I think Ubisoft have hit a massive "sweet spot" with this game - placing a GTA game structure in a fully researched historical setting, making the core game accessible to all and engaging throughout it's length through reasonable variety of gameplay, whilst stuffing the world with challenges for the more dedicated to complete. It will be interesting to see what periods / locations are selected for future games - presumably they will want several more games so there won't be a huge leap forward in time - maybe 17th century? Guns will become more significant (pretty awkward in this game tbh). We'll see.

Just did the carnival assassination, which wasn't very good tbh, and I'm getting a bit bored. The ideas well seems to have run dry and I've done all the assassin's tombs. How much longer is there left?

Not much at all*. I was beginning to feel it had run its course by that stage too.

* Provided you've got almost all the codex pages.

Yeah I think I have nearly all the codex pages already. Despite what I said above I'm glad there aren't another 2 chapters in there. I seem to have a lot of glyph puzzles left though.

I do appreciate to an extent the dilemma Ubisoft have with this series. Despite the animus guff, they're basically trying to design a historically accurate sandbox game which allows you to do badass things. Its problems in a way are very similar to vanilla GTA4s. Once you go down the 'serious' road you quickly hit in a wall in terms of how much mission variety you can incorporate in the game without coming off silly. They've actually played looser with this game than AC1 where the po-faced seriousness of it all suffocated the game, but the latter stages are feeling very samey. Perhaps they could start looking at more interesting stealth mechanics because they are still quite bare bones. Though that would require an upgrade to the AI, which is frankly godawful. I can arouse a guards suspicion, then jump into a well 5 feet in front of him and he starts questionning where I've gone.

Right, I'm going to pickup Assassin's Creed 2 for PS3. I'm just not sure which version to buy. I'm only interested in the in-game content, no statues or anything. Game have a "special edition" which claims to have extra quests - is there more in-game stuff to do in the "White Edition" or "Black Edition"? I won't fork out for the Black, but if the White has anything significant then I'd consider it.

Right, I'm going to pickup Assassin's Creed 2 for PS3. I'm just not sure which version to buy. I'm only interested in the in-game content, no statues or anything. Game have a "special edition" which claims to have extra quests - is there more in-game stuff to do in the "White Edition" or "Black Edition"? I won't fork out for the Black, but if the White has anything significant then I'd consider it.

The only in-game content is extra Secret Locations, small enclosed areas that play out more like Prince of Persia with a set path to traverse. These are all supposedly going to be made available to everyone at some point — no mention of whether they'd be free or paid for — so if they're all you're interested in it probably isn't worth forking out for anything other than a vanilla copy of the game.

Finished this today. To be honest, I'm not feeling all the love. If the original was a 4/10 (imo obviously), this is more like a 6 or 7. It's improved in many ways but it's also flawed in exactly the same ways I thought I would be and which the majority of reviewers just flat out ignored.

Apart from Venice at night the graphics didn't impress me at all. It feels like it's stood still since the last game while things have moved on. Playing Ballad of Gay Tony recently I found GTA4s world still had the power to impress, where this rarely did. Similarly I still find the actual world in this series hollow and unconvincing. You could crack the superficial exterior with a fingernail. Again, the cracks in Liberty City do eventually show through but I think it's a much more convincing, lively, exciting portrayal of a city. I rarely felt much in the way of ambience or atmosphere in AC2 if I'm honest. In fact I'd say AC1 was superior in this respect, especially with memorable moments like approaching Jerusalem (I think?) with lines and lines of people walking along the path.

The game has a good middle but the beginning is slow and the last 3 or 4 chapters feel completely rushed, badly paced and uninspired. There are sections of the map that are uncovered near the end where there is actually nothing to do except climb some viewpoints and get a codex page or two. I guess this is a relic of two chapters being cut, resulting in buildings being marked as important when there's nothing important there and other such quirks but that doesn't excuse how poor the last few chapters are. The AI is still laughable, the game still relatively samey. My scepticism before playing the game was that Ubisoft had layered on endless bits of crap without addressing the core problems, and I still think that's the case. Story missions are easily more interesting on the whole, but the main assassinations are still disappointing, many of the side missions standard sandbox staples which I'm tired of, and so many pointless treasure chests which I don't even need and aren't especially hard to find that I stopped bothering with them about halfway. The upgrading stuff, be it the villa or the weapons is not all that interesting really.

The rate the story is going at we're going to end up with Ubisoft painting themselves into an absurd, incomprehensible corner by AC5. Also the passing of time is handled really poorly. I would never have guessed so many years had passed if the game hadn't kept telling me. The events could just have easily have taken place over 3 weeks and I don't think I would have noticed. Poor sister and mother, glued in the same spot in the house for 10 years since father's death :)

Ok that's enough bitching. The good things are that the dialogue is generally ok (moreso in Ezio's world than Desmonds) and I liked the cast of characters. There were a couple of moments near the end where they all meet up which I liked. As mentioned above the missions are more varied and interesting, at least in the middle of the game, and the game gives the illusion of offering lots to do for a while. The Assassin's Tombs were the best bits, though I preferred the pure platforming ones to the ones with all the guards in. I did eventually warm to the glyph puzzles as a bit of ridiculous hokum.

A real mixed bag then. I can't help but feel Ubisoft are still spreading themselves too thinly with this series in terms of scale. Forli, for example, was a completely useless, if atmospheric location. Maybe the DLC will make use of it but personally I'd be happy with them scaling back the breadth of the world and focussing more on the finer details of world and mission building. I just don't feel there's the need to have 4 different cities/towns which are much of a muchness. There's so much potential here but it still often feels like historical recreation first and rough and ready game second.

I agree with Majora and Kevvy Metal. The gameplay wasn't improved at all. I remember in AC1 they'd build up every assassination as if you needed a detailed plan to get in and out of the victim's location and some other Ocean's 11 stuff like that. Although, when the assassination came it was just running after the victim and maybe a bit of fighting. In AC2 they barely bothered with the "build up" like in AC1 because the assassinations are the same. That's not a bad thing, it just makes me think they realized the gameplay wasn't that good but they couldn't be really bothered fixing it.

Also lol at

"What. The. Fuck".

Apologies if this has been asked already in the thread, haven't seen it --

In Venice, is the viewpoint at the top of the large church in the middle of the initially available section - the Santa Maria Gloriosa Dei Friari - climb-upable straight away? I'm on top of the roof scuttling around the mid-section of the belltower like a shit squirrel trying to clamber up a lamppost.

I don't see any way past a certain height there and I'm worried I'm wasting my time. Is it a viewpoint you can only access when Leonardo busts out his fantastico contraptione or something?