Gaming's Worst Characters

Harsin

OMG another Shining Force fail. Did you not see him in his ultimate form either? Tsk tsk.

Hey, I'm insulted. Of course I got him promoted ("ultimate form" indeed :P ). He was still shit, though.

Aye, Chuck was great in the STC strip. I with Sega would find a way to bring back some of the old STC characters if they insist on shoving extra characters into every new Sonic game, although I'd rather they concentrated on making them good first though.

What, Porker Lewis and Johnny Lightfoot in leather biker jackets (although they're technically in the Sonic games anyway) with silver crossbows and staffs, being part of a resistance movement? A alternative Sonic skin posing as Bob Beaky?

Nah thanks.

Hey stop slagging off Rare's horrible character designs, that was way back in the N64 era, since then they've come on leaps and bounds...

kameo1.jpg

...oh.

I'm a big fan of rare, well, I was when they were with Nintendo. Banjo Kazooie and Snake Rattle and Roll are two of my favourite games.

ffx2_ending_Tidus%20and%20Yuna.jpg

Both of them. 'If you need me, just whistle, hee hee hee'. FUCK OFF.

Vaan2.jpg

Huh, you mean this bloke's the main protaganist, the one character with no freaking story to him whatsoever?

Another call for Dante here as well. I fail to understand how anybody can describe the DMC games as 'cool' with that twat at the helm.

Vaan wasn't actually going to be the main character originally. It was supposed to be Balthier (which makes a lot more sense, considering that he has the lion's share of important plot bits) but was changed due to pressure from higher ups who didn't think that a lead character in his 30s would appeal to the kidz. <_<

I didn't really mind the fact that Vaan didn't have much of a story myself, the other characters were pretty interesting, and since he wasn't very imposing, it felt more like you were sort of a tourist, watching the situation unfold as you were caught up in a whole bunch of trouble with this group of politically important rebels.

There's a surprisingly satisfying scene with Ashe, depicting his satisfaction at taking a backseat. Although I always felt XII was more about the ensemble cast than any of the others. Dissidia being the precise opposite. Ten gimpish egos locked in a flashy cut scene together.

Vaan wasn't actually going to be the main character originally. It was supposed to be Balthier (which makes a lot more sense, considering that he has the lion's share of important plot bits) but was changed due to pressure from higher ups who didn't think that a lead character in his 30s would appeal to the kidz. :)

Aye, Balthier was easily the most interesting and personable character in the game; the whole Vaan/Ashe/prince thing that didn't really start until you were fifteen hours in seemed very tacked on, so you can see where the original focus lay. And for all the grumbling about Squall and Cloud in VIII and VII being emo-ish, sulky twats, I'd choose this cliche ten times more quickly than I would the smiley, uber-Americanised blonde drips that X and XII have given us as main characters - at least I could play the former two games without cringing every time the protaganist spoke. IX managed to do the nice-guy role well with Zidane, even if his story like Vaan's was subsidiary to the other characters'.

Maybe it's just the voice acting that's shite. It's illogical but before they introduced voices in X I found it a lot easier to become immersed in the game when I just read the speech bubbles and imagined how each character spoke, like a book. It made it much more enchanting and...dignified I guess. Speaking of fucking up dignity, what about this piece of gash:

rikku.jpg

"Oh poopie!"

What?