IGNORED

Goldeneye!

ras el hanout

1 hour ago, AI said:

You know about pressing RB for updated visuals right?

Yeah, but I found I didn’t like the updated engine and textures as it removed a lot of the atmosphere.

Low level lighting that mildly lit a building became neon floodlights. Texture work that was sympathetic to the low poly models now contrasts to the higher quality textures wrapped around the still simple geometry of the world. And the once snowy fog that hid the world (And limited technology) is now removed, replaced with the player being able to see the entire level, in all its simple glory.

I feel that the port of Halo also suffered with this. Fantastic original port work aside, the re-skin lacked a lot of the originals subtle artwork and VFX and replaced it with something that was too clean.

Despite the lack of clarity, I think I still prefer the original textures, models and engine. The remake having a solid frame rate and true 16:9 helps with that!

Found out how incredibly easy it is to get this running (and glad I got myself a Dell XPS 13 9310 with i7 for Xmas). Been grinning from ear to ear all morning :D

The most exciting thing is playing a 'forbidden fruit' of a game, but one that is still so incredibly good and addictive at that. I've sped through these levels hundreds of times (having loaded up several retro games, including on N64, at various times over the years) but they're still so much fun to play.

Seeing how emulating this for everyone has taken off in a matter of days and seeing online multiplayer is apparently already possible, I can't wait to play this against mates soon enough :)

23 hours ago, Popo said:

Where is the config file?  I only see the app, a log file, a program debug database (whatever that is) and a file called LICENSE.

Mine runs 60fps with frequent bad stutters on a RTX 3080. Did you find this config file as I cannot see it even when the game is running?

15 hours ago, Mr Majestyk said:

I really hope the leak makes the people involved sort out the licensing issues and get this out there for everyone to enjoy again. 

Whilst people will always be happy to get "free games", it's clear from the reception this had that the rights-holders missed a trick. Not sure of their reasons for not allowing it to be released in the first place, but they'd have cleaned up if this had been put out. Sadly this genie is out of the bottle now. Would they still make any money from this if they put it out? 

6 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Thanks, so yeah it is in This PC:  Documents\Xenia

There's not a whole lot to tweak, though. Judging from the instructions I linked, the resolution is set to 720p by default anyway.

The game actually runs fine on my XP13, though there is the occasional stutter (up to 1 second) for instance in a gunfight. A friend with quite the powerful gaming pc reports the same, so I'm not exactly sure if you can make this go away and how.

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

Mine runs 60fps with frequent bad stutters on a RTX 3080. Did you find this config file as I cannot see it even when the game is running?

its more likely shader caching than stutters.  once youve done an area, it will likely run smooth the next time you go through

44 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Sadly this genie is out of the bottle now. Would they still make any money from this if they put it out? 

More than likely, yes. Even ignoring the fact that this version doesn't yet have online play, most people generally prefer the convenience of paying a small price for a product than playing on hacked/developer mode consoles or PC emulators, which remains a niche endeavour.

This runs fine on my machine. I'd buy it on a console in a heartbeat.

18 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

its more likely shader caching than stutters.  once youve done an area, it will likely run smooth the next time you go through

Now I have found the config file and changed the "license_mask to 1 for an XBLA title" as someone else mentioned earlier, it works almost perfect now.

36 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

There's not a whole lot to tweak, though. Judging from the instructions I linked, the resolution is set to 720p by default anyway.

The game actually runs fine on my XP13, though there is the occasional stutter (up to 1 second) for instance in a gunfight. A friend with quite the powerful gaming pc reports the same, so I'm not exactly sure if you can make this go away and how.

Just tested on mine with an - i7-4970k and GTX 1650 and exactly the same issues so doesnt sound like its hardware related stutter. 

49 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Now I have found the config file and changed the "license_mask to 1 for an XBLA title" as someone else mentioned earlier, it works almost perfect now.

Cool, have just changed this too and will test in a bit to see if it runs better :)

1 hour ago, Vimster said:

Whilst people will always be happy to get "free games", it's clear from the reception this had that the rights-holders missed a trick. Not sure of their reasons for not allowing it to be released in the first place, but they'd have cleaned up if this had been put out. Sadly this genie is out of the bottle now. Would they still make any money from this if they put it out? 

Yeah, I'd buy this if it was on Xbox or Switch, something newer than the 360, just because it woul dbe cool to have the more modern features on a more current system.

it is nice this innit :) i also liked how easy it was to set up a shortcut on my desktop for it! i now have a slightly squiffy icon for the game, which lives next to my other old stuff that doesn't work without extras (this was before blade runner was rereleased)

Capture.JPG.28307264f5c9d21b91a1cc17a1f1bd06.JPG

Capture.thumb.JPG.e580290dcd97cd31a9a7326ca6c57869.JPG

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

BBC News reported that Eon were not happy with the portrayal of the character and in addition there were too many companies involved, plus you'd have to get the likeness rights of the actors again...  Still, why should they care, they have made so much money from the release of the latest Bond film, doing phenomenal numbers in the cinemas that are definitely open, the idiots.

I haven't noticed anybody mentioning multiplayer yet, it feels like an elephant in the room? Is it basically out of the question, not now or ever? I figured at least split screen would be fine, but even that doesn't seem to work, unless I'm missing something...(possibly a second pad).

Just now, Number 28 said:

I haven't noticed anybody mentioning multiplayer yet, it feels like an elephant in the room? Is it basically out of the question, not now or ever? I figured at least split screen would be fine, but even that doesn't seem to work, unless I'm missing something...(possibly a second pad).

Hang on, I'll go plug a controller in and see what happens, although technically, unless you have people in your house already, local MP is probably a bit pants on your own, although I'm not sure if something like xLink Kai would / could be used on original hardware?

9 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

5 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Seeing how emulating this for everyone has taken off in a matter of days and seeing online multiplayer is apparently already possible, I can't wait to play this against mates soon enough :)

Skip to 1:42:19:

3 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

although I'm not sure if something like xLink Kai would / could be used on original hardware?

Yes, the player who did the initial longplay streamed a multiplayer session here:

Amusing bit at 12:55, where a dead Alec slaps from beyond the grave!

If anyone desperately wants to play multiplayer remember that Perfect Dark can still be played online legitimately with Xboxes. You just need to own the game and have a Live subscription, obviously.

I'll re-sub for Live if anyone wants to consider it. I've never been able to have a proper session on it which is absolutely criminal.

Cross posting because there's another thread in retro about this game and now I don't know where to stick for GE discussion. :(

---

So I acquired this and Xenia for my rig, which should run it, but it just loads to a black screen and sound effects and music. If I click buttons I can hear it running through menus and the game starting. I can hear the dam level load, but the screen is totally black.

RIG:

Intel i5

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

8 gig RAM

I upgraded the NVDIA drivers, fully. Even registering their stupid GameForce crap, since at first the emu just crashed. After updating it booted fine, just the black screen (and defaulted to Vulkan).

Some weird stuff:

It boots under the Vulkan renderer. Forcing it to boot under D3D12 renderer causes it to crash on start up (which means that Xenia checked my system settings and couldn't operate under them). So I check my GPU under my ASUS GPU tweaking program, and it says it's only DirectX 11.2 or something. It's not DX12. What the heck? This card is def able to run DX12, the NVIDIA website and multiple blogs say so! Also D3D12 renderer is more stable for Xenia.

So, the emu crashes under D3D12 due my rig thinking it can't run DX12.

Which leaves me stuck with the Vulkan renderer.

Except, for some insane reason, I've found multiple people online have the same problems running Vulkan compatible games or tech demos on a GTX 970. Black screen and audio, but no screen. Random example.

I am so close I can almost taste the bullets. Can anyone offer advice on how to either force my computer to realise it is in fact a DX12 capable system, or help with getting the Vulkan renderer to work, since at least it boots up under Vulkan.

I downloaded a custom ZIP file, with game and emu, should I perhaps get a fresh copy of the emulator from the official website?

Maybe I should just get a modded 360. I've wanted one for years to make use of all the XBLIG demo I have. Maybe I should look into that. Maybe find someone who I could chat with privately about getting such a machine. Maybe... :eyebrows:

Well I just booted the game (thanks again for the link, @Tomdominer!) and it runs amazingly smooth @720p60 on my i5 7300HQ with 4GB GTX 1050 mobile and 8GB RAM. :D

Question though...I think I read somewhere that you can eliminate the slight asset-loading stutter and change the resolution, but I can't find where and how again. Can anyone help me with that please?