IGNORED

Uncharted: The Movie

Gambit

On 17/02/2022 at 21:40, Waggo said:

Cheers for the reviews guys I went to watch it this afternoon.

Enjoyed the film enough although right now I wish I had never even heard about it,  as when I got out of the Cinema some **** had nicked my car!!!!!!  

What a day.:(

Looks like you were...Among Thieves

(sorry to hear about your car)

I'm starting to develop an irrational dislike of Tom Holland. I'm suspicious of that much enthusiasm. I guess it's the way people adopt actors and live vicariously through them in some way, his acting is so limited so his performance in The Devil All The Time is praised despite being limited because it's like everyone is bigging up their little brother. Maybe I'm just envious at the depths of joy he appears to have. Like a puppy. You wouldn't become envious of a puppy's joy and yet with Tom Holland it's different. 

I think he's a perfectly okay actor that falls into that massive group of actors that will rarely sell you a film based on their performance, but are entertaining enough.

I definitely think he plays up the whole 'You can't tell him anything as he'll blurt it out stuff' though and it works, because it gives him a hook (c.f. all the YouTube videos of him being chaperoned by Cumberbatch for Infinity War & Endgame).

10 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Looks like you were...Among Thieves

(sorry to hear about your car)

Yeah the irony was not lost on me.  Never had it happen before thankfully, so I felt a right chump wandering around the car park knowing full well where I had left it, but checking just in case until security finally came out to see what I was up to!!!!!😬

Cheers anyways.

• 2 months later...

Well, that was better than I thought it was gonna be. Villain was a bit shit, but Chloe was perfect, and the final set piece was worthy of the Uncharted name. It's not a great film, but I was entertained and I'd happily watch a sequel. 

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Well, that was better than I thought it was gonna be. Villain was a bit shit, but Chloe was perfect, and the final set piece was worthy of the Uncharted name. It's not a great film, but I was entertained and I'd happily watch a sequel. 

Watched it tonight and that pretty much covers it tbh.

One thing that really annoyed me though were the bad guys

Spoiler

turning up in all the right places when they didn't have the clues. Drake has the keys and works out where to go, but the bad guys always seem one step ahead of them. It was even more egregious when they turn up at the site of the ships despite only Drake knowing where they were.

Oh and how did Chloe

Spoiler

steal the cross from Drake on their first meeting? She goes no where near his backpack. We even watched the scene back to double check and there is literally zero point she would have done it. It was really stupid.

Despite those massive annoyances it was still quite enjoyable, however I still think Tom Holland is wrong for Drake, despite being charismatic and fun as the lead. If this wasn't an Uncharted film, it wouldn't have bothered me as much.

I was unexpectedly offended by Tom Holland pretending he had no idea what a Scottish person was saying.

I know he’s pretending to be American and Americans think that is funny, but he’s English and therefore it is not.

On 24/04/2022 at 07:37, Stigweard said:

One thing that really annoyed me though were the bad guys

Hide contents

turning up in all the right places when they didn't have the clues. Drake has the keys and works out where to go, but the bad guys always seem one step ahead of them. It was even more egregious when they turn up at the site of the ships despite only Drake knowing where they were.

That is exactly like the games though. Uncover an amazing site from ancient history - immediately come across spotlights and generators and gangs of thugs with machine guns who are already there.

I actually felt the film did that better than the games.

Spoiler

In the film it's mostly the baddies following the goodies. For the final part Braddock only knew which island to hit, not where on the Island. It's only when she followed Drake's speedboat that she got to the old ships.

As for the Scottish accent, I'm Welsh and had a bit of trouble with it. He just sounded like a dickhead. So, accurate at least. ;)

Yeah i watched this again on the weekend - enjoyed it a lot more the second time. Maybe i was comparing the movie to the games too much - but i actually think this is a really nice adventure movie. The baddie is crap and the violence was laughable (not the fights) but it was decent enough for a sequel.

20 hours ago, Thor said:

I actually felt the film did that better than the games.

Hide contents

In the film it's mostly the baddies following the goodies. For the final part Braddock only knew which island to hit, not where on the Island. It's only when she followed Drake's speedboat that she got to the old ships.

As for the Scottish accent, I'm Welsh and had a bit of trouble with it. He just sounded like a dickhead. So, accurate at least. ;)

I think they intentionally got an English actor to play him on purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Holland is too young to be Drake.

Wahlberg doesn't have a deep enough voice to be Sully.

There's bits of this that make me smile as a huuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of the games!

Then there are bits that just don't sit right.

I liken it to an ice cream van with those pictures of carton characters you know but are slightly wrong. The general idea is there but there's something off in the execution.

Did they cast Banderas because of the whole Assassins / The Last of Us meme crossover?

• 1 month later...