IGNORED

Uncharted: The Movie

Gambit

They could get the girl who plays Elena to play Elena though right? That would be a pretty obvious choice.

I still can't believe they didn't cast Nathan Fillion, fucking Nathan Drake is based on him, surely! And he wanted to fucking play the fucking role. He fucking IS fucking Nathan Drake. Fucking idiots! Good casting opportunities are missed every day, but this is something else, he was absolutely born to play the role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cxgWrmW2qY

Russell's comments don't necessarily mean that the protagonists are members of this art-dealing, globe-trotting family - he could easily be referring to the film's villains. One thing that both Uncharted games suffered from was weak villains, so this could be a promising start.

Yeah, having read the LA Times piece in full it's vaguely ambiguous, though I fear we're clutching at straws here.

David O. Russell talks a bit about the film:

I've never played the games so I don't know if I should be outraged or happy with his comments.

Sounds like you'd be better served watching a walkthrough on Youtube rather than the film.

Sounds like you'd be better served watching a walkthrough on Youtube rather than the film.

It's so well cast and acted, and really well written. Not to mention the amazing performance capture, facial animation etc. It's miles ahead of practically everything else in that regard. It hardly needs a film really, it only serves to dilute the brand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUPAyGWKd6c

There are at least 2 lines in this trailer alone which are wittier and better delivered than anything I've played this year.

I just listened to this week's episode of the GameSpy Debriefing. Scott Bromley's being all contrary about the reaction to Nathan Fillion not being cast. Claims all his movies have been commercial flops and that Walhberg means people will actually come to watch this.

:coffee:

How many games did each of the Unchartered games shift? I guess they figured the installed fanbase isn't enough for them to actually cast the role, so instead they're keeping a studio exec happy.

Outside of Fillion, any more inspired hypothetical casting ideas? I was thinking:

October-Road-Greenberg30.jpg

Mark Wahlberg’s hardly a million miles away from the character, it’s not like they’ve cast Luis Guzman or Emma Thompson or something. If you’re planning on making a $100m action film, I imagine it would be very hard to get anyone to give you $100m if your film stars some b-list TV actor from a TV show several years ago that some nerds really liked and also some films that didn’t make any money.

Videogame films almost never make any money and are always shit, so I don’t know what everyone’s worked up about, it’s not like we’re losing another Apocalypse Now here.

I just listened to this week's episode of the GameSpy Debriefing. Scott Bromley's being all contrary about the reaction to Nathan Fillion not being cast. Claims all his movies have been commercial flops and that Walhberg means people will actually come to watch this.

Since when has Mark Wahlberg been a box office draw? I suppose, in a "look how shit this is lol" kind of way, but still.....

As for Fillion being in Box Office flops. I can remember three movies of his. Serenity, based on a TV show that lasted 12 episodes which eventually made a fair whack on DVD/blu-ray. Slither, not marketed great and not exactly mainstream. White Noise 2, a sequel to a really shit Michael Keaton movies. I'd hardly blame the box office failures on Fillion.

Hey, take it up with Scott Bromley, not me.

He's on Twitter @Scott_Bromley

Also said something about that indie movie Waitress that Fillion was in and how the director was killed before the movie was released.

But to get back to the hypothetical: if they choose the mainly comedy route, they should cast Bill Hader as both Mr Drake and a host of other roles, cos that guy can play anybody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFAxIH_H4PI

Even pint-sized British film directors.

(go to 2:45 in .... it's fricking uncanny)

Fillion's current show Castle does pretty well in the ratings.. averaging 10+ million viewers..

So it's not like he's not got ANY public recognition..

Other than him.. maybe Joe Flanigan from Stargate Atlantis - though he's even less well known than Fillion..

How many games did each of the Unchartered games shift? I guess they figured the installed fanbase isn't enough for them to actually cast the role, so instead they're keeping a studio exec happy.

Outside of Fillion, any more inspired hypothetical casting ideas? I was thinking:

October-Road-Greenberg30.jpg

Get rid of Elena and have Michael Cera as an akward geeky sidekick, surely. Maybe get Shia the beef in on this too. And Michael Bay to direct. I mean theyre going to fuck it up, they may as well fuck it up epically.

Fillion's current show Castle does pretty well in the ratings.. averaging 10+ million viewers..

So it's not like he's not got ANY public recognition..

True.

List here of average viewers for primetime shows 09-10 and Castle places above Lost and Glee:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/06/16/final-2009-10-broadcast-primetime-show-average-viewership/54336

Get rid of Elena and have Michael Cera as an akward geeky sidekick, surely. Maybe get Shia the beef in on this too. And Michael Bay to direct. I mean theyre going to fuck it up, they may as well fuck it up epically.

Well if it's that you want, I believe this man's available to take his rightful place in one of these chairs.

michael_winner.jpg

• 2 months later...

It appears that O'Russell might not have actually played the game...

From Comingsoon, via IGN

We think director David O. Russell has made some great movies. Look at Oscar-nominated The Fighter for instance. But we're also huge fans of the "Uncharted" game franchise and Russell's continuous comments about the "family dynamic" in the games has us worried. Mr. Russell, the game is about Nathan Drake (who looks nothing like Mark Wahlberg), who is helped on his adventures by close friend Victor "Sully" Sullivan and sometimes by a reporter named Elena Fisher. Seeing some of these quotes at IGN from Russell makes us think he has never played the game himself though he is attached to direct Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

I think if we take that family dynamic that we have in The Fighter, and put that in terms of a grander stage, with a crime family that metes out justice in the world of art and antiquities. If you're the head of a museum, or head of state, you've got to deal with them, and they're badass.

They're like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great taste, and they have a sense of justice.

I would love to do that with Mark [Wahlberg], Robert De Niro, and a couple of hot women, it could be very thrilling.

So basically, this is an idea you had for a movie that you will just put the name "Uncharted" on?

IGN: Of all the video game movies, why was Uncharted the one for you?

David O. Russell: Because it's centered around a family, and I like the combination of criminals and truth. These guys they're tough but they're working on this crazy case, and they can't do it without truth. I think that's cool.

In the interview he claims his "kid loves playing it, I love playing it. I just want to create a world that takes it to another level, that's another amazing world that's more cinematic."Mr. Russell, we can't think of a lot of games that are more cinematic than Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

I think if we take that family dynamic that we have in The Fighter, and put that in terms of a grander stage, with a crime family that metes out justice in the world of art and antiquities. If you're the head of a museum, or head of state, you've got to deal with them, and they're badass.

They're like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great taste, and they have a sense of justice.

That's way up there among the most fucking stupid things I've ever read!

I think the director knows how well videogame movies are typically received and is setting it up so that the critics will wind up blaming the source material and not his piss-poor work. Slashfilm, for example, uncritically accepted his remarks that all this Sopranos family shit is something that came out of the game.

you lot really lack imagination.

David O. Russell is a fine director and no it won't be slave to the game, but SFW?

The game's cinematics aren't exactly original or especially memorable. its good for a game, but laughable for a movie. its just a modern indy jones rip off, plan and simple.

as a movie it has to work on its own terms, or it would just be another bland action adventure popcorn movie.

the director is there to tell a story, not cut and paste set pieces from the game into a script.

Some on the /film talkback are going for the idea that he's taking the name, as it's known by gamers, and plans to create quite a different idea altogether, hung on that name. Use the characters and rough backdrop but change it into the idea of a family of art/antique dealers. I can see where he'd be going with that but if you're using the name and really changing things up a bit, aren't you going to alienate the people who would know what the Uncharted games are anyway, who would surely be your initial target audience?

If that it is the case, it begs the question of why not just create an original movie based around this new idea?

you lot really lack imagination.

David O. Russell is a fine director and no it won't be slave to the game, but SFW?

The game's cinematics aren't exactly original or especially memorable. its good for a game, but laughable for a movie. its just a modern indy jones rip off, plan and simple.

as a movie it has to work on its own terms, or it would just be another bland action adventure popcorn movie.

the director is there to tell a story, not cut and paste set pieces from the game into a script.

But why the hell make a movie based on an existing property if you're going to fundamentally change what it's about?

All you do is piss off the people who know the property and do want an action packed modern take on Indiana Jones.

There have been plenty of (not just) blockbuster movies with action and direction FAR worse than the Uncharted games.

That'd be fine if that was what he actually claimed to be doing. Instead he's coming up with a frankly cringeworthy pitch for a generic adventure movie and saying it's all stuff that came out of the game. It reads like he's covering his ass, to me. Recall that a surprisingly number of critics cut Uwe Boll some slack for Alone in the Dark because:

The movie's based on a video game (of the same name), and so, like those modes of entertainment, the action consists mostly of "Look there! Monster! Shoot! Shoot again! Oh, go ahead, shoot a lot! Ooh, another!," etc. This is definitely for people who love the video game
That this bit of pustulence is based on a video game of the same name is no surprise. It explains the thin plot, characters and abundant gunplay.

When in fact he'd created a shitty movie entirely on his own initiative. I've got this demented conspiracy theory that Russell is trying to accomplish the same.

But why the hell make a movie based on an existing property if you're going to fundamentally change what it's about?

All you do is piss off the people who know the property and do want an action packed modern take on Indiana Jones.

There have been plenty of (not just) blockbuster movies with action and direction FAR worse than the Uncharted games.

It's because people are stupid and they can guarantee a minimum turn out due to name recognition alone.

This. Why make an Uncharted movie that ignores the entire basis of the Uncharted franchise. The game is basically is a modern Indiana Jones game and there's nothing to stop that working in a modern film.

We don't want it to replicate the games, but to at least take from the concept. A quest to unexplored land, a bad guy/rival, action and adventure, the banter between Drake, Scully and Elena. Has Hollywood really forgotten how to write and produce a good family action adventure?