IGNORED

Uncharted: The Movie

Gambit

I should've included the quote that's led me to my conclusion:

IGN: Of all the video game movies, why was Uncharted the one for you?

David O. Russell: Because it's centred around a family, and I like the combination of criminals and truth. These guys they're tough but they're working on this crazy case, and they can't do it without truth. I think that's cool.

I don't know whether someone just sent him a bad summary of the game, or he's only seen someone else's pitch and just assumed it was close to the source material, but it sounds rather like Scooby Doo meets Indiana Jones to me. And I've not even played Uncharted.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding him, I dunno.

It's a bit like saying he's going to make a film based on the game Half Life but he's going to concentrate on the day to day drama of the scientists and their struggles to get funding. It's called Half Life, it might even feature Gordon Freeman, but he'll be pleading with the administration to up their conical flask budget. And there'll be a crisis back home about his wife and child, who never existed in any version of the game but do now, whereby he'll need to keep the job to help pay for his son's operation to replace his wooden leg.

It's a bit like saying he's going to make a film based on the game Half Life but he's going to concentrate on the day to day drama of the scientists and their struggles to get funding. It's called Half Life, it might even feature Gordon Freeman, but he'll be pleading with the administration to up their conical flask budget. And there'll be a crisis back home about his wife and child, who never existed in any version of the game but do now, whereby he'll need to keep the job to help pay for his son's operation to replace his wooden leg.

Goose, I thought you said you'd keep my pitch for the movie a secret.

It's because people are stupid and they can guarantee a minimum turn out due to name recognition alone.

Yeah, cos that's worked really well on poor videogame movies so far!

Uncharted had the potential to have much wider appeal - especially if it sticks close to the things that did make the game popular..

Here's the actual full interview from IGN -

David O. Russell, the Oscar-nominated director of The Fighter, has signed on to write and direct the big-screen adaptation of the hugely popular Uncharted series with Columbia Pictures, for a rumoured release date of 2013.

Mark Wahlberg, who Russell has collaborated with on three previous movies, looks set to play Nathan Drake, but with unspecified roles rumoured for Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci, and the director circling two big stars for the lead female roles, we wanted to get an update straight from the horse's mouth...

IGN: We were exited to hear you were working on the Uncharted movie...

David O. Russell: Oh yes, I'm very excited about that. It's hard to keep writing in the middle of an Oscar campaign, but I'm almost done with that script, and that's going to be really fantastic.

I think if we take that family dynamic that we have in The Fighter, and put that in terms of a grander stage, with a crime family that metes out justice in the world of art and antiquities. If you're the head of a museum, or head of state, you've got to deal with them, and they're badass.

They're like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great taste, and they have a sense of justice.

I would love to do that with Mark [Wahlberg], Robert De Niro, and a couple of hot women, it could be very thrilling.

IGN: Do you think that it's possible to please the fans of a much-loved franchise like Uncharted?

David O. Russell: I don't think that you can please everybody, but I will tell you this - I won't make it unless I can make a great movie.

I don't think there are too many games you can play through that make you go - "Well that'll make a great movie." There's not a lot of references on it, so I don't think there's a blueprint that says you must directly translate the game to the screen.

Games are awesome because you're playing them, so that's just a whole other thing. I'm shooting things down and climbing over cliffs, climbing through rooms, of course you have that in an action picture, but if you don't have the characters, and the whole world that's really bizarre, I don't think you have a movie that really grabs you by the throat.

I want the gamers to be happy. I have total respect for the game. My kid loves playing it, I love playing it. I just want to create a world that takes it to another level, that's another amazing world that's more cinematic.

IGN: Of all the video game movies, why was Uncharted the one for you?

David O. Russell: Because it's centred around a family, and I like the combination of criminals and truth. These guys they're tough but they're working on this crazy case, and they can't do it without truth. I think that's cool.

IGN: Will the supernatural elements of the game make it into the movie?

David O. Russell: All I'm going to say - I'm not supposed to talk about it - but what's wrong with the supernatural?

It does come across as him talking about something quite different to the games. I think with his comments re: family etc he's not referencing the game at all, rather he's referencing the script he's written. So in his eyes, he's telling it how it is because he's talking about his script for Uncharted and not actually anything in the game. Which goes back to the original idea of why use the name if you're taking little out the game?

but the interweb are jumping on a few choice quotes.

have you seen any of David O. Russell's work? He is a character guy.

of course, its going to be an action adventure. that is a given. that is the franchise. but it needs to be more than just that.

its just going to have to have decent characters- which few action adventure films have had since indy jones back in the eighties.

the way this is playing out kinda has the same vibe as heath being announced as the joker.

why do you doubt David O. Russell's abilities so much? because he hasn't played the game? Does he really need to? Its not like it contains a mind blowing narrative that we haven't seen a million times before elsewhere.

uncharted needs to be an action film, with memorable characters - and an identity that is frankly lacking in a game that just wants to be another generic B movie.

should the movie be made in the first place? thats another question. but if it is, i am pleased it has someone like Russell in charge.

Now if Brett Ratner was at the helm, the internets may have a point.

based on? he's got a pretty decent catalogue of films behind him.

its subjective, but I can totally see the potential of the guy that made THREE KINGS, turning out a a very decent action movie - that outshines its source.

no it may not be an exact live action remake of a generic, and pretty cinematically bland game. but do any of us really want to see that?

meh, I can't see the into the future - but russell is an excellent choice. his projects are always surrounded by pre-release bad press - and have turned out ok.

Cinematically, I don't think the games are anything special. The selling point is that it's a cinematic game, i.e. "OMG it's like playing a film!" Transfer that to the cinema, and it's "OMG, it's like watching a film!" That's not a quote you'd stick on a film poster.

• 3 months later...

She's lovely she is.

Emily-Rose-01.jpg

Do you know, I'd honestly like them to just get Nolan North to do it.

Alright so he's a bit old looking and doesn't look anything like Drake. But he IS Drake. So fuck it!

Perhaps as a compromise, Nolan North could do the voice for Mark Wahlberg? And then they could superimpose a different actor over the top so we didn't have to hear OR look at Wahlberg. Everyone wins!

Uncharted is already everything it needs to be, it doesn't need a movie. It'll just dilute the franchise.

True, but as a game to movie possible it's one of the better options. Done right it could be a modern Indiana Jones, done wrong it could be like every other game to film crossover.

It already is a modern Indiana Jones. :)

True that. In film though that genre has been poor recently. I guess those Nic Cage National Treasure are the closest to an attempt at it. Uncharted has what could be a good set of characters for a film (obviously would need fleshed out for the film compared to the limited dialogue of a game). If they can get the film to deliver on the banter between the characters, good action and give it a decent story they could be on a real winner.

My only reservation is what are the chances they pull that off?