IGNORED

Uncharted: The Movie

Gambit

• 7 months later...

I guess they're casting the characters younger than they're meant to be so they can crank out the movies for longer before the cast age out? Bold of them to presume people are going to give a damn about the franchise for 30 years.

I think they're casting the characters younger just to make the film a bit more interesting. Uncharted done as-is would just be Indiana Jones in modern dress or Tomb Raider with a dick, which feels a bit derivative. At least with this approach, we're seeing something that wasn't covered by the games, and which the Indiana Jones films left as backstory.

• 4 months later...

The trailer has leaked, so I guess that means it'll be coming tomorrow. I managed to see a bit of it...

Spoiler

They basically just took the "Nathan falling out of plane sequence" from the game and filmed it with Tom Holland. He seems to have the quips down.

I don't know why you wouldn't just basically make an Indiana Jones, TBH. It's not like the real one has scratched that itch since 1989 so there's a pretty good gap in the market. Worked for both Bourne and Mission Impossible doing slightly modernised twists on James Bond.

and call it what?

1 hour ago, hmm said:

I don't know why you wouldn't just basically make an Indiana Jones, TBH. It's not like the real one has scratched that itch since 1989 so there's a pretty good gap in the market. Worked for both Bourne and Mission Impossible doing slightly modernized twists on James Bond.

and call it what? Adventure Of Stone or something? Wouldn't have had as many people talking about it so far if it was called that compared to Uncharted. Creatively what you say makes 100% sense. It could turn out to be amazing of course but you're not going to risk 200 million on a new name where if it turns out 'ok' it's going to be a disaster if nobody is talking it. If Uncharted is 'ok' it will probably still make a substantial amount of it's money back because it's getting talked about so much.

2 hours ago, hmm said:

Huh? Who's suggesting abandoning the Uncharted name / characters?

(And why have you Americanised my spelling...?)

Oh? weird to me it read as you were suggesting they make an Indiana jones style movie with a different name. I'm still confused, I'm guessing you believe they should make the Uncharted movie MORE like Indiana Jones? How would you do that though? like give him a whip and hat? I don't get it.

That trailer though, it's like the text book definition of a bad videogame movie, 100% replicating an existing scene. That doesn't bode well. Also wasn't this supposed to be a prequel? So younger Drake is doing the plane stunt 10 or so years before he does it again? wtf.

It was somewhat a response to K's earlier comment that "Uncharted done as-is would just be Indiana Jones in modern dress", questioning if that's really a bad thing. I'd argue perhaps not.

3 hours ago, hmm said:

It was somewhat a response to K's earlier comment that "Uncharted done as-is would just be Indiana Jones in modern dress", questioning if that's really a bad thing. I'd argue perhaps not.

I dunno. Maybe it would be good, but I just think that making a film that's extremely derivative of Indiana Jones is not a great idea, as not only is Raiders of the Lost Ark one of the best films ever made, but it's intimately tied up with lots of people's childhoods. It's not only a good film objectively, but it's got nostalgia backing it up as well. It's like making a film about a misanthropic newspaper baron who, through flashback, reveals how he gained the whole world but lost his soul. It might be good, but it's like you're deliberately making it hard for yourself.

Uncharted was a good game partly because it let you play out that Indiana Jones story. With a film, you're playing on Indiana Jones' home turf, so anything the filmmakers can do to set it apart and make it its own thing is probably a good idea.

Well who would have thought; it turns out that when you make a movie out of that game series whose entire schtick is applying the sincerest form of flattery to Indiana Jones,* you end up with something entirely bland and predictable! I don't know whether to be pleased that people evidently do possess the critical faculties to recognise it for what it is when its applied to the sphere of film [trailers], or depressed that those faculties seem to disappear when applied to video games.

Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to seeing the same thing happen with I Can't Believe It's Not Children of Men Meets The Walking Dead: The TV Series.

* other classic action adventure movie scenes may also be considered for such compliments

I don’t really understand that attitude. Idiots buy FIFA and CoD every year, let them. It’s not your money. They throw out dreck at the cinema in the same way, and I know to avoid anything Michael Bay, but if studios want to spend hundreds of millions on comfort food like this then that’s on them.

Seems fine to me. Tom Holland does at least. If you want a franchise it's best to cast young and not Nathan Fillion like people keep whinging about.

Marky Mark on the other hand. If you want a younger Sully then John Hamm is right there....

I'll go see it anyway.