This is Hip-Hop.

Calashnikov

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Love them. L’Orange’s beats on all three albums are incredible and I love Solemn Brigham’s almost song-like delivery. Really really good stuff. Favourite tracks are Small Business, Medicated, Royal, Past Life, OG Funk Rock and Otherworld.

22 hours ago, Lucas said:

I’ve really been enjoying 3, which I think is a great album. They’re touring at the moment. Going to see them in hackney tomorrow. 

i feel like they should be bigger. I love solemn’s delivery. 

Is that the gig with Romesh Ranganathan? I must admit, I cringe at that skit with him on the new album. I’d still be all over that gig if I hadn’t just moved to Wales. Let us know how it goes.

On 20/11/2022 at 18:03, Camel said:

Is that the gig with Romesh Ranganathan? I must admit, I cringe at that skit with him on the new album. I’d still be all over that gig if I hadn’t just moved to Wales. Let us know how it goes.

It was. It was a weird gig. 

the venue really worked against them I think. It was in the theatre at EartH which has tiered seating area (with no seats). It was nowhere near capacity and it was really cold! the stage was huge, but l’orange was just playing from his mac with a little gizmo plugged into it on a desk. When the music came on there wasn’t much standing space in front of the stage. From their respective instagrams it looks like the other gigs have been at much smaller venues which would have been miles better I think. The sound mixing wasn’t great either. 

the support was some lad doing two or three songs from his a-level music project on his own. then romesh came on and did some jokes. Then he did bit of an interview with Marlowe which was pretty interesting. They talked about the changing dynamic between them as they’ve made their three albums; solemn likes a full English breakfast and black pudding and said Marlowe 1 was the first time he had rapped! 

then they disappeared off for a bit and then came back and performed. Weirdly they didn’t clear any of the chairs away from the interview bit or the little coffee table. Played tales from the east and lost arts within the the first three tracks and did a decent mix of new and old including future power sources, medicated, palm readers, my people, past life. 

the gig proper didn’t start until 9.45 and as it was a Sunday and there was a train strike a lot of people seemed to leave pretty early, wouldn’t have thought there were many more than a 100-150 there by the end. 

they did bring Romesh on and let him do a verse in the penultimate song. Happily, due to the not great sound mix, I didn’t get a lot of it :). Then, as another weird thing, instead of clearing off at the end of the song, romesh sat on one of the chairs for the last track, looking out of place. 

so it was a mixed and odd bag. I love Marlowe; solemn is an irresistible frontman and great performer, and l’orange’s beats work as well live as they do on the records, so I enjoyed it a lot notwithstanding the issues with it. I don’t think one of my friends who didn’t know their stuff at all got a lot out of it. Maybe somewhere like the Highbury garage would have been better. Bit of a shame as i think it wouldn’t have taken much to be loads better. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, just a quick reminder that the RLLMUK favourite albums poll runs until 31 December - you can post your list here:

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/328831-rllmuks-favourite-albums-of-2022-list-thread-open-until-31-december

Every vote for a new or reissued 2022 album counts, even if you've just got one album you really liked this year! 

2 hours ago, Venice Cull said:

What. the. fuck? The state of hip hop is almost beyond parody at this point.

I agree, that was fucking shite.

But on the other hand, maybe I do have a chance of being a rapper after-all.

10 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Counterpoint: I thought it was pretty great. 

Another counterpoint: there’s tons of good hip hop being released constantly, so there’s no need to decry the state of hip hop just because you don’t like some of it.

eg, here’s a great album by Boston legend Ed OG and Edan (among others) collaborator Insight from a couple of years ago that I only discovered this week:

19 hours ago, Venice Cull said:

What. the. fuck? The state of hip hop is almost beyond parody at this point.

16 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

I agree, that was fucking shite.

But on the other hand, maybe I do have a chance of being a rapper after-all.

jeez, sorry.

The album is properly good. Great to hear a really coherent LP rather than a load of rando tracks cobbled together. It's the sort of thing this thread used to be crying out for! The samples are deep too. That's a producer with a refined ear.

• 2 weeks later...

So, De La finally gets on streaming platforms (March) after much wrangling around sample issues, and to kick off created an official video to '3'.

One slightly concerning thing (that hopefully doesn’t pan out) is my sample nerd senses noticed that the 'Eddie Murphy' “Anybody in the audience ever get hit by a car?” sample has been removed from the track.

Are we in for a shock when these albums drop in March? I've had other childhood fav albums gimped through removing samples on a few occasions, annoyingly sending me back to YouTube for the 'proper' versions (Young MC, Geto Boys to name a few).

anyway, great vid…