IGNORED

Sega Saturn for Beginners

Alexlotl

Wise fwom you gwave!

Got a new battery and it saves again, just like the good old days!

Now, I really have to crack Seaside Street Galaxy!

Keep a spare supply! I find that they still run out if the saturn is used regularly :)

I've folded.

I sold my saturn collection about 7 years ago and this thread finally gave me the itch.

Got a boxed mark 2 and the following games on various ebay auctions:

Guardian Heroes

Sega Rally

Duke Nukem 3D

Nights

Athelete Kings

Resident Evil

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Sega Ages

Virtua Cop 1 & 2

Had a quick blast on them all last night before sticking with Guardian Heroes (never had it back in the day)

I'm now on the hunt for a decent priced copy of Die Hard Arcade.

A pretty solid list I think but is there anything obvious i'm missing?

Also which is better the original daytona or CCE?

The original. They're both good but I don't like the changes in CCE, which move away from the arcade title (the AI is all wrong, for a start, handling not so tight... and then there are the graphics, albeit with less popup).

Are you into the Panzer games? Zwei is excellent, cheap as chips for an import (no Japanese).

"I'm not a serious collector..."

Says strider as he flips through a CD wallet full of Japanese Saturn games.

That's from another time, many years ago before I had kids. I couldn't bear to get rid of them because I fell in love with shmups.

Finally got hold of my much delayed Saturn. Unfortunately, it's an original Model 1 without much moddability. It's also been through Cash Converters at least once in its life, still bearing a sticker, and has VIDEO EZY WANGANUI carved into the main unit and one of the controllers with a compass-point. But it works!

My knock-off Action Replay turns out to be just a region-free/cheat device, with no RAM expansion built in, so I can't play Vampire Saviour or KoF '97. Removing the casing reveals a purple board with "SS Goldfinger V2" written on it. It appears to be almost impossible to fit/remove from the slot. But it does let me play Street Fighter Zero 2, which is aces.

My HSS-0136 Jap Virtua Stick is rather splendid, but the microswitches are occasionally sticking - I'm guessing I'll need to pop it open and clean it.

Not an ideal start. On the plus side, the RGB Scart I got from Ebay AU looks magnificent on my new CRT - the Saturn outputs a fantastic picture. Also, the Saturn is such an ugly, abused unit that I won't feel like a murderer if I brick it while trying to do a 60Hz mod, which is next on the agenda.

Finally got hold of my much delayed Saturn. Unfortunately, it's an original Model 1 without much moddability. It's also been through Cash Converters at least once in its life, still bearing a sticker, and has VIDEO EZY WANGANUI carved into the main unit and one of the controllers with a compass-point. But it works!

My knock-off Action Replay turns out to be just a region-free/cheat device, with no RAM expansion built in, so I can't play Vampire Saviour or KoF '97. Removing the casing reveals a purple board with "SS Goldfinger V2" written on it. It appears to be almost impossible to fit/remove from the slot. But it does let me play Street Fighter Zero 2, which is aces.

My HSS-0136 Jap Virtua Stick is rather splendid, but the microswitches are occasionally sticking - I'm guessing I'll need to pop it open and clean it.

Not an ideal start. On the plus side, the RGB Scart I got from Ebay AU looks magnificent on my new CRT - the Saturn outputs a fantastic picture. Also, the Saturn is such an ugly, abused unit that I won't feel like a murderer if I brick it while trying to do a 60Hz mod, which is next on the agenda.

model 1 saturns are easier to swap trick, if it's backups you're fussed about. And a decent action replay will allow you to ramcart import it up! just a 60hz mod and you're set fella!

You can even region patch roms to get backups and ram working at the same time. Alpha 3 :wub:

This thread has made me want to pick up a Saturn again!!!

So, I headed into town to get one! God, hasn't retro gaming disappeared from the high street. Still, the local indie did manage to have one, but it was £20 so I decided to try my local car boot.

This morning i head off to the car boot with £30 in my pocket and a backup plan to pick up a cheap xbox if I can't find a saturn. So, I get to the busy car boot and, boy, is it full of shit. Dirty looking PS2's, a few cubes and one xbox (£40 - it does come with a carry case you know, says the lady (7/10) selling it)

Feeling rather depressed I notice a couple of lads chatting who also seem to be into the retro scene and who seem to like nintendo stuff (hello if you were at Poynings today) and I keep pace with them, spying on them a bit. They seem a nice couple of blokes and just as we all get to the end of the carboot they head over to a stall selling a few bits, mainly ds's , ds games and gba games. I'm pondering a boxed dreamcast controller (just to have bought something really!) when I notice the 2 lads have moved over to another stall selling retro stuff. Its then I notice a box of saturn goodies stuffed under the stall. The two blokes are rummaging through a large box of SNES games while another bloke asks about a boxed CDi (a bit high at £35 I thought!).

So, I ask the seller -"how much for the saturn", "50p" he jokes and its then that I notice their are 2 saturns in the box "Don't they work then?" says I, "Well, they did, but I lost the power leads years ago, how about we say £2 for the lot", so taking a bit of a risk (although a cheap one) I part with £2 and head off home with my box of goodies.

So for £2 I got

Not working

1 saturn

Daytona CEE

Wipeout 2097

Working

The other saturn

Unofficial controller

Unofficial Light gun (surely quite rare in itself!)

Boxed Sega Rally

Boxed Virtua Fighter

Bargain!!!! Even better is when I head into the loft and find the following

Burning Rangers

Nights into Dreams including controller

Shining Force 3

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Xmen Children of the Atom

Die Hard Arcade

Virtua Fighters Megamix

Sonic jam

which was almost totally unepected, only really thought I had PDS and the nights controller left!

PDS is awesome, never really played it years ago (at the time it seemed a bit naff to me after FF7) and probably the best reason to own a Saturn. Nights is also brilliant. Not sure about Daytona though, god its awful.

Going back to PDZ now! Got to beat that boss!

Burning Rangers and Shining Force later! Oh, I found a memory card in the loft as well!

Bump! Time for some all killer, no filler.

Got back from Akiba a short while ago with a few BAGS of Saturn games! All told I paid more than I wanted but probably less than I expected. I got:

Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade to you and me) - great fun, too bad the side-scrolling beat em up was left for dead after this solid attempt at bringing the genre into 3D. I never owned this game back in the day so it's great to play it properly.

Enemy Zero - I never played this one back in the day either sooo... I'm looking forward to giving it a shot!

Sega Rally Championship - this game never had a lot going for it, but what it lacks in content it more than makes up for in polish and refinement; it's amazing they got this game running on the Saturn at all! Immense fun.

Sonic Jam - probably the most well presented and polished Sonic collection Sega released, if not the most fully featured... then again all your main games are accounted for.

Golden Axe: The Duel - along with Dynamite Deka, I never even saw this for sale much less played it at the time but played the demo a lot. I remember it being quite good fun and intend on giving it a good thrashing tomorrow.

NiGHTS into Dreams - going for an absolute song at 500 yen, again can't wait to sink into it properly tomorrow. The most ambitious Sonic Team title and the most imaginative.

Street Fighter Collection - this collection includes Super Street Fighter 2, SSF2X and Street Fighter Zero 2 Dash (Alpha 2 to you and me). I always thought the inclusion of the second made the first a bit redundant but at any rate it's a great way to play.

X-Men vs Street Fighter - Capcom were very generous to Saturn owners and this title probably most of all. This came after the sublime Marvel Super Heroes and added all kinds of new features, most notably the tag-team style of play which would go on to be a hall-mark of future ce-razy Capcom games... this was before it all went a bit too mad though. Tremendous fun.

AZEL: Panzer Dragoon RPG (Panzer Dragoon Saga to you and me) - 1000 yen? Thank you Mr salesman! This is definitely one of the swansong titles of the Saturn, PACKED with great imagination, noteworthy music (something that could be said for all the titles in the series) and an inventive and fun battle system. Gaudy to look at, even at the time, but none the less a top 5 Saturn game.

Grandia - I've always had a soft spot for this series and it was going very cheap. Fun battling and nice to look at too. I wouldn't say the story is up to much but it's good fun while it lasts.

This was me holding back - I REALLY wanted to get Vampire Saviour, Dracula X, Guardian Heroes and Burning Rangers but they were all a little pricey and I figured I had enough to go on for at least a few weeks! I'll go back when I'm a millionaire. I also passed up the Virtua Cops as I didn't want to invest in a bulky light gun too... maybe later! Add all that to Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei, Shining Force 3 and the Virtua Fighters and... you've got too many games and not enough time!

It'll be the Dreamcast next! :hat:

Got the bug now!

Picked up Enemy Zero and Space Hulk for £5 each yesterday. I tried to haggle, but the bloke in the shop wasnt having it. Looking on ebay it looks like I got them for a good price!

Also picked up Athlete Kings and Daytona CE.

I REALLY wanted to get Vampire Saviour

Oh, you really should have. It's fantastic, I picked it up for something like 1100 Yen last October and it's just such a fantastic fighter.

If you're ever anywhere near Shinjuku there's an arcade next to the bizarro tiny dog pet shop, which I believe is near the weird American Street (my memory is a little hazy on where exactly, apologies). It's the arcade with the Darius machine in the window anyway.

Go upstairs, all the way to the top floor - there's three sets of VS Vampire Savior machines, and if you go at the right time you can see a bunch of nutters being awesome at it.

NiGHTS into Dreams - going for an absolute song at 500 yen, again can't wait to sink into it properly tomorrow. The most ambitious Sonic Team title and the most imaginative.

With the pad, right? I think I got mine for y900 with the pad... or was it y2100

I can't remember :hat:

Just won a Grey Japanese Saturn on ebay this evening, and a copy of Soukyugurengai...

I could probably get by with just that one, single game, cos it's so great, but I'm considering a couple of others...

Anyone played Vatlva, Ninku or Savaki?

Anyone got any suggestions for where to start for an entry level fighter? Was thinking about Vampire Saviour...

Can anyone remember that Saturn game that was like/or actually was Solomon's Key?

Got the bug now!

Picked up Enemy Zero and Space Hulk for £5 each yesterday. I tried to haggle, but the bloke in the shop wasnt having it. Looking on ebay it looks like I got them for a good price!

Also picked up Athlete Kings and Daytona CE.

Oh man, the ours I ploughed into that game. I would say that no game captures the feeling of the Games Workshop brand so well. The scream of the Genestealers, the frantic melee combat, the radar showing the enemy clustering around a corner. And the horrible moments when the screen is lost to static as one of your men is torn limb from limb by the enemy.

Update please. In this lifetime, if possible.

Sorry man, but FAIL. You NEED this. Pay anything up to 5k yen for it, it's worth every bit.

I know, but considering I've been unemployed for the past 4 months I need to be careful... having said that I have already spent close to 10,000 yen already! :lol:

Eh? :lol:

What I meant was that it doesn't have a great deal of content - it remains probably my favourite racing game of all time!

• 3 weeks later...

I got my hands on Guardian Heroes for the first time today - given the praise heaped on it I was disappointed, in all honesty.

I only played for a short while but it seems to lack the level of depth I was expecting... am I missing some vital gameplay knowledge that could unlock the game?

Right! Without really meaning to I just bolstered by collection with a further 8 games! I picked up Christmas NiGHTS, Shining Force part 1, Decathlete (Athlete Kings to you and me), Winter Heat, Saturn Bomberman: Fight (I wasn't really paying attention and thought it was the much superior Saturn Bomberman - still on the look-out for that one), Burning Rangers and original Daytona USA - the frame rate is absolutely stinking but it plays well.

What should I get next? :mellow:

Right! Without really meaning to I just bolstered by collection with a further 8 games! I picked up Christmas NiGHTS, Shining Force part 1, Decathlete (Athlete Kings to you and me), Winter Heat, Saturn Bomberman: Fight (I wasn't really paying attention and thought it was the much superior Saturn Bomberman - still on the look-out for that one), Burning Rangers and original Daytona USA - the frame rate is absolutely stinking but it plays well.

What should I get next? ^_^

Radiant Silvergun natch :eyebrows:

Marvel Superheroes

Fighters Megamix

Last Bronx

Radiant Silvergun natch :eyebrows:

Marvel Superheroes

Fighters Megamix

Last Bronx

Popo, are you after games that still really stand up now? Or just games that were good for the time? The above three games are certainly fun, but I'd probably play them for 5 minutes and then never again - they've been bettered since.

Since I've got X Men vs Street Fighter AND Marvel vs Street Fighter, I don't see the need for more of their ilk... although MSH is a great game and has Iron Man in it with the biggest gun EVER. :eyebrows:

I've rounded out most of the game I had back in the day so my nostalgia fever is probably wearing off. What are the really great Japan-only games that I never bothered with first time around?