The Greatest Movie Drunk

linkster

5. Karen Allen / Paul Freeman in Raiders. They have to share the honour, given how the scene wouldn't work if both were four sheets to the wind. Her playacting and his timeless, priceless burst into laughter on sight of the knife simply never gets old

4. Richard E Grant, Withnail. A claimed teetotaller. Like no drunk you have ever met, in that he is witty, interesting, endlessly watchable. Unique.

3. Paul Newman in The Sting. The poker game on the train. It's just so much fun.

2. Robert Shaw in Jaws. Because he hides it so well, an utterly convincing sociopath but with a purpose and possibly some capacity for reason, until the point where he is clearly going to blow the engine and you realise just how unhinged and completely pissed he actually is. And he doesn't care. So understated and sinister. And almost inevitably actually pissed.

1. Paul Newman in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Because at no point does he actually give any indication of being drunk. No cliches. No cheap shots (entertaining though they were later in his career). And yet utterly convincing as an alcoholic, knowing the worst is yet to come.

Steve Buscemi in Trees Lounge deserves a very big shout. Alongside the classic Ironweed Streep already mentioned.

Unless this is like that list of best gangster movies, in which case it's:

5. Karen Allen / Paul Freeman in Raiders. They have to share the honour, given how the scene wouldn't work if both were four sheets to the wind. Her playacting and his timeless, priceless burst into laughter on sight of the knife simply never gets old

4. Richard E Grant, Withnail. A claimed teetotaller. Like no drunk you have ever met, in that he is witty, interesting, endlessly watchable. Unique.

3. Paul Newman in The Sting. The poker game on the train. It's just so much fun.

2. Robert Shaw in Jaws. Because he hides it so well, an utterly convincing sociopath but with a purpose and possibly some capacity for reason, until the point where he is clearly going to blow the engine and you realise just how unhinged and completely pissed he actually is. And he doesn't care. So understated and sinister. And almost inevitably actually pissed.

1. Paul Newman in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Because at no point does he actually give any indication of being drunk. No cliches. No cheap shots (entertaining though they were later in his career). And yet utterly convincing as an alcoholic, knowing the worst is yet to come.

But if not, I'll also add my old mucker Tom Reagan into the mix.

Eddie Dane: How'd you get the fat lip?

Tom Reagan: Old war wound. Acts up around morons.

Aahhh...more classic sassy drunk quotes would be helpful.

Oh fuck aye.

Bartender: Wake up, Tom.

Tom: I am awake.

Bartender: Your eyes are closed.

Tom: Who you gonna believe?

Motherfucker if I wasn't going to post that one myself.

Verna: That's not why you came, either.

Tom Reagan: Tell me why I came.

Verna: [seductively] The oldest reason there is.

Tom Reagan: There are friendlier places to drink.

I could go on all night with this one, there's a billion lines spouted in a billion bars by this guy that reach all the way to Drunk Heaven. Revenge for the Best Gangster Movie thread is nigh.

I could go on all night with this one, there's a billion lines spouted in a billion bars by this guy that reach all the way to Drunk Heaven.

The script for that film is just immaculate. It's ridiculously tight. It should be engraved in gold and sent into space.

Then aliens would find it and come find us and go "Wow! Are all your movies this good?" and we'd have to go "Nah. Just that one."

Then there's an awkward silence for about 4 years.

Aye, it needs a separate folder of its own, that script.

Then we can just start a thread in it with one line from it, and talk about that one line and how much better it is than most whole films.

It's the Best Gangster Movie Ever Made. Best Drunk Gangster film, too.

The Best.

Aye, it needs a separate folder of its own, that script.

Then we can just start a thread in it with one line from it, and talk about that one line and how much better it is than most whole films.

Tom: Think about what protecting Bernie gets us. Think about what offending Caspar loses us.

Leo: Oh, come on, Tommy. You know I don't like to think.

Tom: Yeah. Well, think about whether you should start.

I mean. for fucksake.

He wasn't drunk when he said that but he did have a whiskey in his hand so it counts in this thread. Just about.

Tom: Think about what protecting Bernie gets us. Think about what offending Caspar loses us.

Leo: Oh, come on, Tommy. You know I don't like to think.

Tom: Yeah. Well, think about whether you should start.

I mean. for fucksake.

He wasn't drunk when he said that but he did have a whiskey in his hand so it counts in this thread. Just about.

I reckon he was a bit drunk here though:

Verna: Shouldn't you be doing your job?

Tom Reagan: Intimidating helpless women is my job.

Verna: Then go find one, and intimidate her.

Fuck me. Fuck. Me.

pffft. when it comes to on-screen drunks, there is only one: Peter O'Toole in My Favourite Year.

which contains maybe the best line in movie history: O'Toole stumbles into the ladies toilets and is about to take a piss when one woman pipes up '...this is for the ladies!' and O'Toole replies '...so is this (unzips fly), but every now and then i have to run a little water through it.' :)