rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ferine

Shatter (PSN)

shatter-psn.jpg

This hits the Store today for the measly sum of £4.99, €5.99 or $8, and seeing as I've yet to hear a bad word about it I thought it could probably do with its own thread.

3684203378_2061bb8264.jpg

If you haven't heard of it before, Shatter is something of a cross between Arkanoid and a shmup. The player has the ability to both suck and blow the ball(s) on the screen, so unlike your average brick breaking game it's much more offensive as you aren't always worrying about simply returning the ball to stay alive; or, indeed, waiting to interact. Occasionally you'll face weakpoint-packing boss stages and the playing field isn't a fixed square, either, shifting between shapes and perspectives to mix things up. Naturally the game also has its own selection of special blocks, powerups and other staples of the mishmashed genre.

The easiest way to get a handle on the game, short of playing it yourself, would be to watch this developer demonstration:

You can listen to — and purchase, should you wish — the excellent soundtrack here.

For the moment it's a PSN exclusive, although from the sounds of it Sidhe are keen to bring it to other platforms in the future, response willing.

Dev's have confirmed it'll cost £4.99 / €5.99.

Devs have sale +1 then. I love cheap interesting looking games like this. :)

Reminds me a bit of Ricochet - shame they only ported the game to the original XBox XBLA :)

Definitely picking this up later on. The developer frequents and post sin the Neogaf thread for the game if anyone's interested. They have said there will be no demo for now which is disappointing, though at that price it isn't too big a deal.

Looks good. I've been playing Brick Breaker for the last month or so on my Blackberry and it's been making me feel nostalgic. Anyone know how long this game is?

Impressions? If it's quite easy with cool music I might be tempted.

Just completed world 1, pretty easy so far. Really enjoying it, you can either blow or suck (...) the ball (...) to manipulate it's trajectory which is really neat, loads of power ups, and each time you destroy a block it releases shards which if you absorb enough of, you get about 5 seconds of slo-mo laser fire which is very useful. There's also boss battles and a bonus stage that anyone who played the bonus stages in IK+ will feel very at home with. :)

Impressions? If it's quite easy with cool music I might be tempted.

Yes on both counts.

The difficulty does ramp up quite a bit as you go along, mainly due to unfixed blocks that you start accidentally drawing towards you, but it's all very... well, doable. With Super Stardust HD and Geometry Wars there's certain things that I just say, "Okay, I'm never going to be able to do that," whereas with this I know I can do better and that it'll be enough.

It reminds me of the 'bulling' technique in Space Giraffe when you've got a line of nasty blocks in your way, activate the shield and clear them off. The precision ball power-up is great fun, it's almost like having a remote control ball to play around with. The push and pull mechanic totally makes the game for me.

Oh my. This is quite brilliant, isn't it? This is going to be my new Super Stardust/crack, I can tell.

Just completed the main mode now. An excellent little game, I especially enjoyed the bosses they were excellent. Well worth the asking price :)

Quite interested in this (why no demo?), but how do you get your head around it being side on? I've played so much Arkanoid that watching the trailer for this made my head swim.

Mind you I suppose Arkanoid is based on Breakout, which is based on the horizontal Pong. Still seems wrong.

EDIT: Coo, it's by the same company that did the very lovely Gripshift. Also noticed some levels are traditional vert too.

Just completed the main mode now. An excellent little game, I especially enjoyed the bosses they were excellent. Well worth the asking price -_-

How long is it, would you say?

Stuck this on for a quick go before Fury and ended up eating into my entire evenings gaming time. Lovely little game.

Any one want to get a bit of friendly score competition going on, the PSN IDs in the sig.

Quite interested in this (why no demo?), but how do you get your head around it being side on? I've played so much Arkanoid that watching the trailer for this made my head swim.

Without spoiling anything, not all levels are side on...

Ah, neat! I've ummed and arred over this game too much, especially as it's a fiver. I'll be getting it this afternoon.

How long is it, would you say?

Took me 3 hours solid to complete. But now I've got to go back and do the boss rush mode and then attempt to beat those on my friends list. Plenty of life still left in it.

Took me 3 hours solid to complete. But now I've got to go back and do the boss rush mode and then attempt to beat those on my friends list. Plenty of life still left in it.

I have like $24 left on my PSN account. Is there anything coming out in the near future that's a must have because I'm tempted to get this now.

I have like $24 left on my PSN account. Is there anything coming out in the near future that's a must have because I'm tempted to get this now.

Castle Crashers (if you haven't got it on XBLA) and Fat Princess are the main ones. I would wholeheartedly recommend Shatter though.

Also 3 hours is a bit on the low side for play time. I've completed the first four worlds (out of ten) and have spent around 2 hours on it.

PixelJunk Shooter, innit. And it's neon cousin, Gravity Crash.

...This isn't going to end well for my credit card.