Spartacus: War of the Damned

I'll agree that series 3 was much more serious in tone with none of the classic Batiatus lines and had none of the political intrigue either.  The reason it took me so long to finish is that about 3-4 episodes in I felt it wasn't quite the same.  Then I went back and binged the lot and loved it.  I do reckon Liam is every bit as good as Spartacus though and the last few episodes are really epic... and the battle of wits between Crassus and Spartacus was well played out.  

If anything, they held back on the games they had for Crixxus.  Apparently in real life between 300-400 Romans died in those games!

29 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I feel terrible about it but I just couldn't continue watching it after Andy Whitfield died. That guy was something special.

Gods of the Arena is amazing.

44 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Words flow from your mouth like shit from ass!

Shame you didn’t stick with it as you missed out on some sensational telly. Liam McIntyre takes a few eps to warm up but once he does he’s every bit as good.

Also, imagine not watching Gods of the Arena. Remove shit from brains and set mind to purpose! 

I did watch Gods as that was made while Whitfield was undergoing treatment. I just couldn't accept McIntyre as Spartacus - maybe I'll go back.

9 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I did watch Gods as that was made while Whitfield was undergoing treatment. I just couldn't accept McIntyre as Spartacus - maybe I'll go back.

I thought McIntyre wss just as good as Spartacus, he does a great job of moving and talking like him.  Series 3 is a different type of programme - you're away from Capua and it's all about the war.  For a few episodes it's obvious they're saving their budget - considering it's a big war, it seems a bit small scale... but half way through it really picks up and you can see why they were saving their budget.  That final battle is as good as anything you've seen on film.  The wee nod to Braveheart with the 'hold!' gave me a smile.

and while we're at it - if you're into boardgames, the Spartacus Blood and Sand boardgame is an absolute belter and I would highly recommend it.  It's unfortunately reprinted with generic art now, make sure you get the original with all the pictures from the programme.

5 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Words flow from your mouth like shit from ass!

Shame you didn’t stick with it as you missed out on some sensational telly. Liam McIntyre takes a few eps to warm up but once he does he’s every bit as good.

Also, imagine not watching Gods of the Arena. Remove shit from brains and set mind to purpose! 

hahaha - I mind reading about they spoke in the programme and some experts were saying how it was a really accurate way of taking latin and turning it into modern English.  I found watching it with subtitles on a really good way to not miss the unusual turn of phrase. 

10 hours ago, Festoon said:

I feel terrible about it but I just couldn't continue watching it after Andy Whitfield died. That guy was something special.

Did you watch the prequel season Gods of the Arena? Spartacus isn't even in it but it's bloody brilliant. John Hannah is amazing in it.

EDIT: I see you already answered that question above. There was a documentary about Andy Whitfield on Netflix for a while. It was called Be Here Now (Don't hold that against it). It covered the time when he was ill and featured a lot of footage that he had made himself with his wife and family. A sad watch but I admired his bravery. He also came across as bloody nice bloke.

RIP

On 17/05/2019 at 19:03, scottcr said:

Fucking amazing series... the board game is a belter as well as it has a Jupiter’s Cock and My Cock Rages On cards.

On 15/01/2020 at 17:32, scottcr said:

The boardgame is fucking brilliant btw...

where else can you play cards called 

Jupiters Cock and My Cock Rages on.

It also benefits from being a *genuinely* excellent game.

12 hours ago, scottcr said:

and while we're at it - if you're into boardgames, the Spartacus Blood and Sand boardgame is an absolute belter and I would highly recommend it.  It's unfortunately reprinted with generic art now, make sure you get the original with all the pictures from the programme.

Do you own shares in the board game, or something? Get paid on commission? :lol:

What Spartacus loses due to the absence of John Hannah it more than makes up for with how it handles the key characters. The dynamics of Crixus, Gannicus, Oeanamus, Asher, Lucretia and eventually Agron are fucking incredible.

Spartacus is one of, if not the greatest TV shows of all time for me. Andy Whitfield should have went on to become a superstar based on his Blood and Sand performance,    but was sadly taken too soon. So tragic!

I also took a while to warm to Liam McIntyre but it was for stupid reasons like his terrible walk or him initially being built like a lawyer who works out 2 or 3 times a week. But by the end of Season 2 (excluding Gods of the Arena) he finds his place and more importantly, everyone around him really finds theirs. For anyone to not press on with the remaining seasons having watched and enjoyed so much is fucking madness.

“There I only one way to become champion... never fucking lose”

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

I didn't even know there was a game. 

Well I didn't expect the Gods to once again spread cheeks wide and ram cock in ass.

But here we are.

Yeah that's what I had heard!

Anyway now you lot are going to make me watch the series for the forth time aren't you <_< I wonder if my other half will like it...

Its a bit like parks and recreation, but with a touch more swearing and the colleagues keep killing each other...hmm. 

2 minutes ago, Benny said:

But less bumming.

Reveal hidden contents

I've not seen Parks and Recreation.

You should, it even has a board game.

38 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Anyway now you lot are going to make me watch the series for the forth time aren't you <_< I wonder if my other half will like it...

Its a bit like parks and recreation, but with a touch more swearing and the colleagues keep killing each other...hmm. 

How long you been together? I made my now wife watch it back when we first got together and before the final season came out. She didnt know at the time but it was her final test. Thankfully she passed and still quotes Battiatus to this day :wub:

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

I bought the Blood and Sand DVD for a tenner off of Zavvi back in 2011. The wife and I had just finished Season 1 of GOT. I was looking for something similar. She wasn't convinced to begin with but now Blood and Sand and Gods of the Arena are two of her favourite TV shows of all time. She also loves all the gratuitous sex, violence and John Hannah's foul mouth.

I have a cool wife.

39 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

How long you been together? I made my now wife watch it back when we first got together and before the final season came out. She didnt know at the time but it was her final test. Thankfully she passed and still quotes Battiatus to this day :wub:

Coming up 5 years. We've watched all of GoT together and she enjoyed that, but dipped out on The Shield which I found very hard to deal with. 

We're currently watching Schitt's Creek for the second time, so tonight I might put on the first episode of Spartacus and see if she notices.

48 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Coming up 5 years. We've watched all of GoT together and she enjoyed that, but dipped out on The Shield which I found very hard to deal with. 

We're currently watching Schitt's Creek for the second time, so tonight I might put on the first episode of Spartacus and see if she notices.

For some reason the mash-up that popped into my head when reading that there was 'I'm a little bit Gannicus' :lol: I might actually re-write Alexis's classic but for the Legendary hero!

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I really need to give all of these a re-watch.  Are they available on any streaming sites?

starz - you can get it on Apple TV

8 hours ago, scottcr said:

So this tweet got a like from Liam McKintyre and...

image.thumb.jpeg.aa696bfd78baff0b4015e46e31ef70bb.jpeg

That is both amazing and also a bit shit that all he could come up with was “thanks pal” when Batiatus is one of the most verbose and quotable characters in anything, ever.