Spartacus: War of the Damned

The Sarge

Just got through the finale last night.

Epic stuff.

Surprised Doctore was initially swayed so easily by Batty-boy. Also surprised he let Ashur get away....him and Illythia MUST appear next season....I'm guessing her husband would be the main antagonist, with the gladiators forming a band of roving outlaw geurrilla types.

Favourite bit? *Tap-Tap*

Anyway, at least I can get to bed slightly earlier now.

I'm a couple of episodes ahead, Ep8 I think, and just when I think the show has gotten as gratuitous as it can get, it surprises me yet again:

I defy you not to wince when Horse-Cock is strung up on the crucifix with his giblets lopped off, spurting weakly over the courtyard sand

Vulgar Monkey,

your sig is entirely appropriate - and yes, I did indeed wince!

I fuckin' love Spartacus. I hope there's going to be plenty more of it!

• 2 weeks later...

Loving this show to bits but I have, yet again, been swallowed by hype - In this instance, for episode 10...

Why people are pin-pointing this episode in particular regarding *that* scene is beyond me.

I was expecting something truly horrific (for TV) and was left with Spartacus being forced to kill a friend. To top it all it was such a standard way to die by this series' standards. Now if the lad had made him cut his head off then I could have seen the reasoning for the shock factor. I'm not complaining but I've been waiting for this episode for so long after avoiding all spoilers, that the missus and I couldn't help but come away disappointed.

Loving this show to bits but I have, yet again, been swallowed by hype - In this instance, for episode 10...

Why people are pin-pointing this episode in particular regarding *that* scene is beyond me.

I was expecting something truly horrific (for TV) and was left with Spartacus being forced to kill a friend. To top it all it was such a standard way to die by this series' standards. Now if the lad had made him cut his head off then I could have seen the reasoning for the shock factor. I'm not complaining but I've been waiting for this episode for so long after avoiding all spoilers, that the missus and I couldn't help but come away disappointed.

I think because the death was much more subtle than every other kill we've seen, plus it was his only friend made it more poignant. Spartacus seemed more emotional by being forced to kill Varro than he did upon discovering his wife had been killed

I think there's just something about Spartacus that sets it apart from other shows. I can't quite explain it, but I'll have a go.

It's like, pretty much the whole series, never mind just ep. 10, it's been setting up Varro for a fateful demise. It was so obviously signposted in the episode itself that you just knew it was coming. And yet, somehow, it still was one of the most powerful character demise scenes I've watched. Same when his wife snuffed it - you knew there wasn't going to be any happy ending, but pow, that was a sock to the kisser.

I dunno, I've seen other series make claims that "no character is safe", but hell, they usually tease you with someone getting nearly killed then some minor character getting the chop instead. No cop-outs like that in Spartacus, you get the feeling that anything can happen - and when it does, it'll be dangled in your face, like you're a broken and battered slave sprawled on the bloody sand clutching your guts in as a fearsome gladiator stands over you, waiting for the judgement from the baying crowd, and your heart's hammering and you're hoping against hope but you know what's coming really and then the thumbs go down and the blade's right through your windpipe and down into your chest and it's blood everywhere and bye bye, loser, ha ha ha.

Spartacus chopping Varro's head off would have been utterly laughable.

Plus totally out of character. His death was still pretty gruesome though: a sword pushed (or pulled) through his shoulder into his guts. I don't think it was "standard" to have him killed like that. Getting killed in the arena, now that would have been a pretty boring, standard death. It's the poignancy of the death, the sheer hopelessness of it that hits hard, rather than the truly horrific something or other you were hoping for. I think the fact that Varro's death is basically a move on the chess board of life for Ilithyia, also makes you kind of despair that a human being could be so cruel.

Spartacus chopping Varro's head off would have been utterly laughable.

Plus totally out of character. His death was still pretty gruesome though: a sword pushed (or pulled) through his shoulder into his guts. I don't think it was "standard" to have him killed like that. Getting killed in the arena, now that would have been a pretty boring, standard death. It's the poignancy of the death, the sheer hopelessness of it that hits hard, rather than the truly horrific something or other you were hoping for. I think the fact that Varro's death is basically a move on the chess board of life for Ilithyia, also makes you kind of despair that a human being could be so cruel.

I agree, the look of sheer i-cant-do-anything-about-it on Spartacus' face is what made that one of the best scenes on tv, the subtle head shaking no, the look of despair in the eyes, eventually having Varro essentially kill himself while being forced to plunge it in more for the crowds benefit while shedding a solitary tear and not being able to show any emotion... thats what made it great for me.