Spartacus: War of the Damned

The Sarge

2 episodes have additional footage. I'm not sure how much or the nature of the footage.

6 episodes. 4 extended, 2 enhanced.

Extended...

The Red Serpent

Sacramentum Gladiatorium

Delicate Things

Mark of the Brotherhood

Enhanced...

Shadow Games

Kill Them All

:)

They've revealed the title for season 2. Not really a spoiler, but some are anal about even this much sometimes

Spartacus: Vengeance

Just to add to this, the actress who plays Naevia has confirmed she will not be returning for Season 2. :(

Anyway, will be watching the GoTA season finale tomorrow. Can't wait. :D

Just to add to this, the actress who plays Naevia has confirmed she will not be returning for Season 2. :(

:( indeed. She's lovely.

Anyway, final episode...

An all out gladiator battle in a ring of fire! Totally epic. No wonder Bashur loathes Crixus. I wasn't expecting Gannicus to earn his freedom. Is he penciled in for Season 2 at all? As I'm sure there's still some drama to be wrought between him and Doctore.

:( indeed. She's lovely.

Anyway, final episode...

An all out gladiator battle in a ring of fire! Totally epic. No wonder Bashur loathes Crixus. I wasn't expecting Gannicus to earn his freedom. Is he penciled in for Season 2 at all? As I'm sure there's still some drama to be wrought between him and Doctore.

"Win your own freedom and seek me out.".

Cracking stuff. When is the new series?

:(

Considering this prequel came about as something of an afterthought (wasn't it to fill a gap caused by scheduling/recasting problems?) it's fucking excellent.

At least as good as S1, and considering the length it may be pound-for-pound a bit better, even if some of the story arcs were a bit similar.

Fucking superb stuff.

I must admit I had my doubts about the concept of this mini-series and would have been satisfied with just a load of gladiator action and some tits, but this is how a prequel should be done - plenty of surprises and drama despite the ultimate conclusion already being known. The more I think about it the more elegant the writing seems, especially the Batiatus/Solonius relationship. Bravo!

Still wonder how season 2 proper can match what we've seen so far, without Batiatus or the arena, but can't wait to find out!

When is the new series?

:(

Early 2012. :(

We have Camelot to look forward from April and from early 2012...

Magic City - 60's era mafia/political/business drama set in Miami, Jeffrey Dean Morgan was in negotiations to star as the lead, not sure if he eventually signed.

Boss - Mayor of Chicago suffers from degenerative disease, Kelsey Grammer is attached to play the Mayor. Gus Van Sant is attached to direct with a co-writer from Apocalypto on writing duties and producers from Nip/Tuck recently joining the team.

Spartacus: Season 2.

Camelot Season 2. (if it does well, which it hopefully will.)

Starz' rise has been amazing, hardly anyone had heard of the channel a couple of years ago but with Spartacus and hopefully Camelot, Magic City and Boss (both of which sound great) they are rivalling Showtime, HBO when it comes to good and original content.

:D

Wonderful.

Gannicus is a definite for season 2 surely?

Edit: From EW:

So one headline is: “Gannicus lives!” Your “Han Solo meets Achilles” — as you once described him — will fight another day. Those who know the history of Spartacus figured this, but was still great to see him make it out alive.

Yes, Gannicus is one of Spartacus’ generals in the actual war. Our original plan was always to introduce Gannicus unto storyline. We will set him up to at some point to come back. It was a wonderful performance. When I designed that character I wanted something different from Spartacus and Crixus. He brought it in spades.

proper ridiculously fun, every series should end with a

WWF style battle royal with fire

would have liked Ashur

to have got his leg fucked by the one-eyed guy rather than a petty suckerpunch from Crixus

though. Did he actually survive the first series? I remember him getting chased around but not if someone actually topped the guy.

In season one there was a big thing about Crixus fucking up Ashur's leg, so that was always on the cards. Ashur comments to Spartacus about not trusting him when fighting side by side just before they fight that big near-unstoppable monster gladiator (forget the name).

And yes, he did survive. He hid under the dead bodies when Doctore was out for his blood.

proper ridiculously fun, every series should end with a

WWF style battle royal with fire

would have liked Ashur

to have got his leg fucked by the one-eyed guy rather than a petty suckerpunch from Crixus

though. Did he actually survive the first series? I remember him getting chased around but not if someone actually topped the guy.

Ashur survived by doing what he does best: being a cowardly shite and hiding underneath a dead body until Oenmaus had passed.

I actually quite liked the throwaway nature of his crippling, just because it's so utterly demeaning. Fits well with all his series one bluster - shows that he talks the talk brilliantly, but it's just that, talk. He only had one good fight ffs, all his 'I coulda been a contender' is bollocks, and what's more is that everyone else there knows it. Adds even more to their rolleyes.

I agree his big dumb mate went down a bit easy though. Would have preferred it if Ashur beat him with wits over sword, though I suppose that's tricky in that scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching the mini-series. Great stuff like the main series although a bit sad that Batiatus and the gladiator aspect is finished now.

Any timeline space to cram another mini series in between this one and the start of Blood and Sand??

I suppose they could alway do at least a flashback episode in the new series.

In season one there was a big thing about Crixus fucking up Ashur's leg, so that was always on the cards. Ashur comments to Spartacus about not trusting him when fighting side by side just before they fight that big near-unstoppable monster gladiator (forget the name).

And yes, he did survive. He hid under the dead bodies when Doctore was out for his blood.

Crixus explicitly states in the first season that he stabbed Ashur in the leg, in a conversation with him. It was almost throwaway, however, so easily missed.

I actually thought that 6 episodes was fine - because of the shortage of time they concentrated on the main story at hand (and tying up some loose ends for Blood & Sand) and I think it feels much tighter for it. For example there is very little back-story for Gannicus apart from mentioning he is a Celt, but who cares really?

Is it episode 1 where that guy's head gets chopped in half horizontally and his jaw falls off? I actually laughed at that. Fucking fantastic.

That's the opening for episode one. Must admit I chuckled at that.

I think after watching it last night and enjoying it so much I'm just being greedy and wanting more. I used to find Hanna annoying in pretty much every role he played, but the guy is fricking brilliant in this.

I do love how they've youthed folk up by giving them slightly longer hair though! :lol: