Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

womblingfree

51 minutes ago, K said:

The David Lynch film was pretty rubbish on the whole, but it did capture the essential complete fucking insanity of Dune and Frank Herbert.

The book and Herbert's ideas aren't that mad are they?  Well, not that mad compared to history and other scifi/fantasy.

4 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

The book and Herbert's ideas aren't that mad are they?  Well, not that mad compared to history and other scifi/fantasy.

Frank Herbert himself was absolutely off his fucking rocker, he did things like do run lie detector tests on his kids to see if they were taking drugs, and then fake the results. And some of his books (like Hellstrom's Hive and the later Dune novels) are pretty mental.

Dune itself isn't that out-there in terms of ideas, but it's always struck me as a very eccentric book - partly because of the depth and the intensity of the imagined future, but also because it's just full of really odd stuff. Whole sections are just characters second-guessing each other and really intensely micro-analysing every single aspect of a conversation, like they're extremely stoned and trying to negotiate buying some crisps from a shop or something. The whole thing has a kind of queasy, narcotic quality to it, like he thought it up while being very ill.

4 minutes ago, K said:

Frank Herbert himself was absolutely off his fucking rocker, he did things like do run lie detector tests on his kids to see if they were taking drugs, and then fake the results. And some of his books (like Hellstrom's Hive and the later Dune novels) are pretty mental.

Dune itself isn't that out-there in terms of ideas, but it's always struck me as a very eccentric book - partly because of the depth and the intensity of the imagined future, but also because it's just full of really odd stuff. Whole sections are just characters second-guessing each other and really intensely micro-analysing every single aspect of a conversation, like they're extremely stoned and trying to negotiate buying some crisps from a shop or something. The whole thing has a kind of queasy, narcotic quality to it, like he thought it up while being very ill.

Yeah, get what you mean about the queasy feel to some bits and not just where he uses the term beefswelling. :)

By going the narcotic route with a movie you lose the chance to really explore the depth of ideas on politics, religion, sex and every other kitchen sink philosophical thing that was swirling around Herberts head.  The mini series tried a more convention telling than Lynch's and failed to make much of those other elements.  Assuming it's good, I'm pretty sure they'll be people who'll hate Villeneuve adaptation!

The main reason Dune is such an eccentric book is that at its heart it’s a teenage boy’s wank fantasy, shrouded in absolutely superlative mystical and econo-political world building.

Onviously there is much of the former in SF, and quite a bit of the latter, but creating such a page turning melange (clever Dune wordplay, cheers) out of the lot is quite the feat.

3 hours ago, K said:

i guess it's a trailer aimed at a general audience, so they're going to make it look as accessible as possible...

Except it doesn't, to me. 

If you don't know what Dune is, you wouldn't give a shit, based on that. 

They need to be careful, as Blade Runner 2049 relied purely on 'Hey, remember Blade Runner?' and died on its arse. 

Obviously it's the first trailer, the next one could be epic, but that one's selling nothing to the general public and this needs to be sold. 

4 hours ago, Gambit said:

I keep forgetting that the first book has been split into two movies (I don't think they bothered filming the second part yet - that would be financial suicide if this doesn't bring in the money).  And having read Dune last year, I'm not sure if I could pinpoint a part where you could naturaly end the first part.

Wait, what, this movie is only half the first book?

10 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

They need to be careful, as Blade Runner 2049 relied purely on 'Hey, remember Blade Runner?' and died on its arse. 

Obviously it's the first trailer, the next one could be epic, but that one's selling nothing to the general public and this needs to be sold. 

I agree with this. I've never read the book or watched any previous versions, but I've heard of Dune and was looking forward to this, especially with Villeneuve directing, but that trailer makes it look really boring.

I'll be keeping an eye on it, but I can't see how that trailer will excite anyone who stumbles across it.

57 minutes ago, Quest said:

Hmmm, I didn't know that either. Will be interesting to see where they've made the split.

As I said up thread,  I suspect it'll be 

Spoiler

some point after Paul and Jessica join the Freman.  The reveal of exactly who the Freman are as a fighting force lets the ending not be a total downer.  Have Jessica take the water of life as theend of her journey, sets up peril/messiah journey for Paul in part II, also a bit of "ooh, Chani, she's a bit of alright".

And although they can go for a triumphant ending for part II, they could throw in a bit of a nod to the second book. Messiahing isn't all it's cracked up to be etc.

Never read the book (only seen Lynch's version and the trailer from yesterday), but while it takes place in a Sci-Fi backdrop, it's pretty much a soap opera in space. 

Maybe that is where apathy comes from watching the trailer. It appears to be like EastEnders with giant worms, along with what appears to be a continuing Villeneuve trait of very unfussy visual effects. 

I found the look of BR2049 to be the same, it has the legs, but take for example the interior shots, it's all quite plain and unfussy, almost like a freshly plastered wall but without the paint on it, or any sight of a dent or scratch.

Dune for me is really about what Villeneuve did next, rather than any passing interest in the source material

18 hours ago, englishbob said:

Just about every trailer made follows the same structure. It's a marketing person's ticksheet... 

Slow fading start

Show some faces

A fight or car chase snippet 

BASS DROP

Implied melodrama 

Fast flashing der der der der boom 

Show the name of the film

The look of the film here shows just how close Lynch was to the source I suppose. I think this version is going to be 3 hours long, maybe more. 

No Sting though, makes you wonder why they didn't approach Damon Albarn 

6 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

They need to be careful, as Blade Runner 2049 relied purely on 'Hey, remember Blade Runner?' and died on its arse

Erm, nope. No no no. Widely thought of to be an excellent film.

Not bad apart from the fucking lead who has the charisma of a door frame. Where on earth did they get him from? 

Not really seeing the Eastenders connection myself. Brolin (one of my fave actors working today) seems to have shopped at Target for his costumes. 

38 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I'd argue it's one of the most pointless sequels ever made, but it is definitely beautifully made and has a lot of good points to it.

I suspect the 'died on it's arse' bit was more to do with no-one going to see the thing really. 

If you say Bladerunner, you think of the original. No-one will ever think of the sequel. Doesn't matter how good it is really. 

I've never read the book and have tried and failed to watch Lynch's film a couple of times. Well I did actually watch it to completion but my mind doth wandered along the way and I can't remember the overall story.

I'll be seeing this though, so I can give the story another shot but also because the trailer reminded me the line "Fear is the mind killer" is from Dune. I remember being off my tits a few times when an absolute banger had that sampled in it back in the day. Oh and of course Adam Freeland did it later and, well...Rez.

Weird reason I know but the mind follows what the heart likes. Or something.

I'll respectfully disagree on some of the Blade Runner comments but each to their own. :) I thought 2049 was excellent and I've probably seen it more times than the original now (which I also like). There aren't many films I see at the cinema and then immediately pre-order the blu-ray for. 

Given I liked this trailer as well maybe Villeneuve's style just clicks for me? I dunno.

I do think Paul seems a bit flat maybe. I've only seen Timothée Chalamet in Interstellar (I think) and from what I can remember it was a passable but largely forgettable performance (well I can't really remember it so it literally is). We'll see, have faith in Denis.

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

The main reason Dune is such an eccentric book is that at its heart it’s a teenage boy’s wank fantasy, shrouded in absolutely superlative mystical and econo-political world building.

Onviously there is much of the former in SF, and quite a bit of the latter, but creating such a page turning melange (clever Dune wordplay, cheers) out of the lot is quite the feat.

That fits with the fact that the main impression I remember of reading the book about 18 :o years ago is that it had excellent fight scenes. Lots of nice descriptions of dagger parties! But I don't remember it well enough to know what those vibrating blue force field/illusion effects in the trailer's fight scene are meant to be!

The other main thing I remember about the novel is that as I read it months after 9/11, the repeated use of the term "jihad", and I think a couple of other terms adopted from Arabic, really stuck out to me because they were in the news so much at the time for very different reasons.

Other than that, my main memories of the setting come not from the book but from the Dune 2 Amiga RTS. :wub:

6 minutes ago, Nick R said:

That fits with the fact that the main impression I remember of reading the book about 18 :o years ago is that it had excellent fight scenes. Lots of nice descriptions of dagger parties! But I don't remember it well enough to know what those vibrating blue force field/illusion effects in the trailer's fight scene are meant to be!

They are personal protection shields, they can stop projectiles but can be penetrated by driving a knife through slowly, which is why they do the fencing and parrying.

3 hours ago, Mystacon said:

I agree, however subjective opinions on BR2049 don't remove the fact it died at the box office. 

The marketing played a huge part in that, IMO and I fear Dune will be similar.

Fair play to Villeneuve being allowed to continue with Dune after the failure of BR2049, as I'm sure there were a few studio heads with clenched arse cheeks, looking at the potential numbers.

1 hour ago, amc said:

I've never read the book and have tried and failed to watch Lynch's film a couple of times. Well I did actually watch it to completion but my mind doth wandered along the way and I can't remember the overall story.

I'll be seeing this though, so I can give the story another shot but also because the trailer reminded me the line "Fear is the mind killer" is from Dune. I remember being off my tits a few times when an absolute banger had that sampled in it back in the day. Oh and of course Adam Freeland did it later and, well...Rez.

Weird reason I know but the mind follows what the heart likes. Or something.

Do you remember Spice by Eon? I loved that back in the day. Heard it at the Eclipse a few times while off my tits!

The spice must flow!

Yup. Remember it from nights out but also that the lads from 808 State played it to death on their Sunset 102 radio slot. Literally every show.

Seems like Dune was a hit with the music makers back in the day.

EDIT. Actually fear is the mind killer may be on that track, towards the end. Both samples on the same track. Time to dig out the old tapes lol.

EDIT 2. Same artist but different track. Both killer. I'll stop shitting up the thread now soz.

That trailer was garbage.

None of it looked like it was capturing the ethereal strangeness and inscrutability of the novel. The dialogue also sounded really simple and contemporary.

And the sandworm reveal was somehow... Boring. That should have been something that aurally rips into your bowels like a scene from Mad Max: Fury Road, in a blindingly bright desert. Instead it looked like mud.

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

That trailer was garbage.

None of it looked like it was capturing the ethereal strangeness and inscrutability of the novel. The dialogue also sounded really simple and contemporary.

And the sandworm reveal was somehow... Boring. That should have been something that aurally rips into your bowels like a scene from Mad Max: Fury Road, in a blindingly bright desert. Instead it looked like mud.

I'm afraid I'm in this camp. The strangeness isn't there at all.

And it was all a bit dull brown or blue. I always saw Caladan as quite a pretty place, instead of gloomy. With other colours besides blue and grey. Dune itself should look hot, but it looks chilly.

I dunno. Bit deflated. Worm looks good though.

And yeah, I'd rather "And for the father, nothing....."

1 hour ago, amc said:

Yup. Remember it from nights out but also that the lads from 808 State played it to death on their Sunset 102 radio slot. Literally every show.

Seems like Dune was a hit with the music makers back in the day.

EDIT. Actually fear is the mind killer may be on that track, towards the end. Both samples on the same track. Time to dig out the old tapes lol.

EDIT 2. Same artist but different track. Both killer. I'll stop shitting up the thread now soz.

Remix by Saul J Kane of this is just the best.