Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

11 hours ago, ZOK said:

The main reason Dune is such an eccentric book is that at its heart it’s a teenage boy’s wank fantasy, shrouded in absolutely superlative mystical and econo-political world building.

Onviously there is much of the former in SF, and quite a bit of the latter, but creating such a page turning melange (clever Dune wordplay, cheers) out of the lot is quite the feat.

I hear that, but it's constantly turning this on it's head from his POV turning the power into fear of what he is and his resulting coldness and distance undermining that power fantasy.

1 hour ago, Steve McQueef said:

I agree, however subjective opinions on BR2049 don't remove the fact it died at the box office. 

The marketing played a huge part in that, IMO and I fear Dune will be similar.

Fair play to Villeneuve being allowed to continue with Dune after the failure of BR2049, as I'm sure there were a few studio heads with clenched arse cheeks, looking at the potential numbers.

Fair enough if we’re talking critically versus commercially then.

Although I’m not sure the marketing could’ve been improved without being disingenuous to the final film. Personally I got what I was sold and I loved it.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Dune doesn’t suffer in the same way, but regardless I’m confident going by the trailer that Villeneuve is once again going to knock it out of the park.  

Dune is probably my favourite science fiction novel, and Villeneuve is one of my favourite directors, particularly his recent sci-fi. So I should be excited. But that trailer pissed all over my melange wafers faster than you can say Shai-Hulud.

18 hours ago, Festoon said:

Remix by Saul J Kane of this is just the best.

Don't. I have nothing on tomorrow and a bottle of Chivas Regal that's been pissing me off in the kitchen. I'm off on a journey and the mixes of this track and Spice are fucking sublime. Add in the fat laser sample from Defender or Berzerk or something on Spice and I'm gone. I'll regret it in the morning.

Thanks Dennis.

2 hours ago, amc said:

Don't. I have nothing on tomorrow and a bottle of Chivas Regal that's been pissing me off in the kitchen. I'm off on a journey and the mixes of this track and Spice are fucking sublime. Add in the fat laser sample from Defender or Berzerk or something and I'm gone. I'll regret it in the morning.

Thanks Dennis.

Just checking how this is going?

18 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Just checking how this is going?

Mate I've pulled out a bottle of legally bought Rush/poppers that the local corner shop seemed to weirdly sell and that I bought with a packet of Revals on the off chance. It's going good.

3 hours ago, amc said:

Mate I've pulled out a bottle of legally bought Rush/poppers that the local corner shop seemed to weirdly sell and that I bought with a packet of Revals on the off chance. It's going good.

Yes!

I was at a house party once and we were passing round some poppers and this guy was acting all hard took a swig from the bottle. The look of wide eyed horror once he swallowed was a peach .

Later that night he opened the fridge and pulled it over on himself. Not sure if related.

9 hours ago, Benny said:

Dune is probably my favourite science fiction novel, and Villeneuve is one of my favourite directors, particular his recent sci-fi. So I should be excited. But that trailer pissed all over my melange wafers faster than you can say Shai-Hulud.

Speaking of which, and on that Dune music tip:

No idea what the video has to do with Dune, but there you go!

Jesus Christ people are picky, this looks and will probably be amazing. Denis Villeneuve is one of the best directors out there and all of his stuff that I've seen has been excellent.

This is split into 2 parts right? So this is just the first half of the first book?

The sets, costume and ship designs are vastly more interesting looking in the Lynch film. And much closer to capturing the feel of what's described in the book for me. I'll grant that the sandworm is a bit dated though. I'd actually forgotten that scene was set at night too.

Blade Runner 2049 is a hugely overrated movie, an exercise in style over substance that is admittedly excellent right up until the main guy gets into the child selling factory and then you’ve literally seen every good idea Villeneuve had to offer on the theme. It’s mostly dull after that, even if you ignore the excitement offered by the gaping plot holes, and from when Ford arrives on the scene it’s just lumpen and embarrassing.

I’m sure he’ll bring the same deft mallet in this to whatever he’s pinched from Lynch.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

The sets, costume and ship designs are vastly more interesting looking in the Lynch film. And much closer to capturing the feel of what's described in the book for me. I'll grant that the sandworm is a bit dated though. I'd actually forgotten that scene was set at night too.

Lynch’s worm still looks about a million times better.

3 hours ago, Nifta said:

Let's be honest, the 1984 comes out top there :)

There’s no contest. I think the only time my eyes accidentally caught the upper screen was because Lynch’s astonishing visuals were causing my eyeballs to spin in their sockets.

I absolutely prefer the combat shield effect in the ‘84 version. Both the visual concept and, surprisingly, the technical realisation of it. I do quite like the new sphincter-worm though.

While I expect DV to knock it out of the park, I worry it will be a financial failure.

However, what all this has mostly highlighted to me is a pressing need to finally read the effing book. So, there’s that.

I thought that trailer was amazing. The director of my two favourite films of the last decade (which I should specify are Sicario and BR2049, because Enemy, Prisoners and Arrival are also up there) doing an epic sci-fi was always going to get me excited, so it was an easy sell. 

I finally started reading the book, which has been sat untouched next to my bed for the last six months. Great stuff so far. 

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

I absolutely prefer the combat shield effect in the ‘84 version. Both the visual concept and, surprisingly, the technical realisation of it.

It's been so long since I've watched the Lynch Dune that I'd completely forgotten about the shields.  They look absolutely amazing in that comparison video.

12 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Why does everything have to be so drained of colour these days? Films are practically black and white. Agree with @Festoon that Arrakis just doesn't look hot enough.

The overuse of colour grading in a lot of new films does my head in full stop. Oh got characters going to Mexico? Guess we better crank up the red and yellows until it looks like they're on the surface of Mars.

10 hours ago, jonamok said:

While I expect DV to knock it out of the park, I worry it will be a financial failure.

Why worry? Unless you've invested a few quid in it

Lynch made a pretty good attempt at it, but it didn't work out how he wanted it to due to studio interference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(1984_film)#Editing

Given the long and protracted gestation of the original film, and the marmite response to this new one, it's quite possible the source material isn't really that amazing a story to be told, especially as science fiction.

It's a perfect choice for DV though, like Arrival that had sci-fi in it but turned into a melodrama, this has sci-fi in it but with a soap opera storyline. It's a hard sell really, those that really like sci-fi will be disappointed, and how do you get someone that would normally like a soap opera to watch something that's "in space" ?

53 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The overuse of colour grading in a lot of new films does my head in full stop. Oh got characters going to Mexico? Guess we better crank up the red and yellows until it looks like they're on the surface of Mars.

I blame Soderbergh in Traffic. :hmm:

This image did the rounds a while ago. More recently, I've seen versions of it featuring California during the fires...

YVGsVBv.png

3 hours ago, englishbob said:

It's a hard sell really, those that really like sci-fi will be disappointed, and how do you get someone that would normally like a soap opera to watch something that's "in space" ?

Make sure you put some EastEnders drum beats every time something exciting happens?

18 hours ago, ZOK said:

Blade Runner 2049 is a hugely overrated movie, an exercise in style over substance that is admittedly excellent right up until the main guy gets into the child selling factory and then you’ve literally seen every good idea Villeneuve had to offer on the theme. It’s mostly dull after that, even if you ignore the excitement offered by the gaping plot holes, and from when Ford arrives on the scene it’s just lumpen and embarrassing.

I’m sure he’ll bring the same deft mallet in this to whatever he’s pinched from Lynch.

I disagree.

I'm only peripherally familiar with Dune, but it seems like a tricky story to tell just because of the run of the books. As I understand it, Herbert did several, the last one was unfinished, and then various subsequent spin-off runs came out years later and still are.

Did the original series of books have a sensible end-point the movies could use? Or is it a given that any movie adaption is only ever going to cover the first book (even if its in two parts)?

19 hours ago, ZOK said:

Blade Runner 2049 is a hugely overrated movie

So is the original Blade Runner. I love Sci-fi but Blade Runner is one of those movies that are great but not really that great. The same goes for 2001: A Space Odyssey. These movies were great because there were nothing like it when they were released. 

1 hour ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Did the original series of books have a sensible end-point the movies could use? Or is it a given that any movie adaption is only ever going to cover the first book (even if its in two parts)?

The first book, which they've split into two for this version, has a natural finale.  Not sure what series of films you could make out of the rest of the books. They're mostly harder to adapt, at least as a blockbuster films, and Dune's not exactly easy.

You could make a 'final' ending of Children, God Emperor or Chapterhouse. 

The sequels /prequels from his son and Kevin Anderson do not exist.