Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

womblingfree

I'm sure I read that Deakins was attached to this, so to find out today he's not shooting this surprised me. Maybe explains its washed out dry look. Villeneuve wanted someone else to differentiate it from Blade Runner? 

It's the guy who did Rogue One, which I thought looked great actually. Foxcatcher and Killing Them Softly I liked too. 

Rogue One's look of washed out dourness kind of suited the war film style of aesthetic they were going for in that, but for Dune I was really hoping for more blinding windswept dunes and more of a sense of majesty or something.

Roger Deakins really would have been preferable to me. Well, in anything really.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That's a fan trailer with bits of the old movie in it.

2 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That’s got shots from the ‘84 film in it, right? 

They’re the only bits that are visually interesting! :lol:

Oh! I was like hey the special effects looks like they were made in the 1980's :lol::blush: (I'm a fool!)

12 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That’s got shots from the ‘84 film in it, right? 

They’re the only bits that are visually interesting! :lol:

I did think that aspects look remarkably similar to the old film rather than being reimagined. 

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Pob said:

Sorry, I've got no news on the movie, I just wanted to say that I finally finished the novel, having been inspired to read it by the trailer for the Villeneuve film (which I thought was awesome in the true sense of the word), and I absolutely loved it. I love the way most technological advancements are dismissed by the idea that humanity fucked off thinking machines millennia ago, and the personal shield meaning a reversion to hand-to-hand combat. Instead there's a focus on unlocking the power of the human mind, which replaces the usual focus on AI or mechanical advancements. And also that our present religions of science and individual enlightenment are totally absent, replaced by an eternally stratified culture and religious orders.

Having never seen the Lynch film beyond the gomjabbar scene, I read the book with the full Villeneuve cast and the visual style in my mind's eye, and to me it fitted perfectly. I realise that is self-fulfilling, however. Perhaps the plainer, grounded look affected my reading of the book, because I didn't find it to be as out-there as I was expecting. It's a stupendously realised universe but never seemed totally weird or unfilmable, probably because it's literally been filmed several times now.

Anyway, I watched the trailer again last night and this is by far and away my most anticipated film now. I was initially skeptical of it only being the first half of the book, but then I realised that means it'll be able to take its time and won't have to skip a lot of the detail. I predict it'll be a huge flop, though, and just hope the second half gets made!

EDIT: oh, and the nomenclature! So good. I didn't realise there was a glossary until I finished the story - was I supposed to be referring to that as I went though?

There is no doubt it's one of the greats. I still reread it on a regular basis, but for me it is hopelessly emeshed with the Lynch visuals, that IS how Dune looks for me, and despite the issues the movie has, the characters and scenes are so vivid for me. So many charismatic actors, the soundtrack, the vistas... they just merge into the book completely in my imagination. I don't think I will ever be able to unpick them.

I am still hyped for the new film mind you.

Heh, yes I can't help but picture Sting as Feyd Rautha because that's one of the visuals I am familiar with (plus, that character has not been cast for the new films yet as far as I know because he only appears in the second half).

I've said this before in the thread but I think the Villeneuve version will be great.  The casting is brilliant, particularly Rebecca Ferguson who I think is perfect for Jessica.  I echo your worry that it might fail badly, especially if everyone in America is just watching it on HBO Max.  Hopefully as they've already filmed most of it (I think), that shouldn't be a barrier to getting the second part finished.

2 hours ago, Pob said:

Heh, yes I can't help but picture Sting as Feyd Rautha because that's one of the visuals I am familiar with (plus, that character has not been cast for the new films yet as far as I know because he only appears in the second half).

"I WILL KILL HIM"

is etched in my mind forever...

(Dune spoiler)

Spoiler

Also, when he dies you get one of the Freman say 'Muad dib' in the most Carry On way, you'd have thought Kenneth Williams said it himself.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's a tough road to go down.  You're not going to get 100+ million for a no name star so you have to look for someone who looks young so maybe can't pass for 16 ish but can be a Paul.  Who else could you choose other than maybe Tom Holland?

TBH I'm looking forward to this.  I really liked arrival and blade runner 2049 so I've high hopes for this and they're all good actors in my eyes.