Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

womblingfree

I really hope this is good. I think the casting is really promising, I just wish they'd dialled up the weirdness on the production design - it needs a more unique look.

On 10/09/2020 at 18:58, K said:

Frank Herbert himself was absolutely off his fucking rocker, he did things like do run lie detector tests on his kids to see if they were taking drugs, and then fake the results.

I’m massively late with this and maybe someone already made the same point (I have been avoiding the thread for visual spoilers) but the nutter you are referring to was actually Frank’s dad, not Frank Herbert himself. There’s a good read out there somewhere* about how a lot of the subtext in Dune could be attributed to Frank’s messed up upbringing/family.

*sorry, can’t find it - but I went down a rabbit hole once reading about themes in the novels that I think led me to the stuff about his dad.

17 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I’m massively late with this and maybe someone already made the same point (I have been avoiding the thread for visual spoilers) but the nutter you are referring to was actually Frank’s dad, not Frank Herbert himself. There’s a good read out there somewhere about how a lot of the subtext in Dune could be attributed to Frank’s messed up upbringing/family.

Are you sure about that? All the quotes I've seen on this come from Brian Herbert's autobiography, where he talks about Frank Herbert (Brian's dad) carrying out lie detector tests on him and his brother.

I was, until now. The fact his dad was also called Frank Herbert does complicate things somewhat. When I read about it, it was along the lines of the Atreides family relationship’s being something like wish fulfillment for Frank (the author) and I think the Bene Gesserit being all female was also attributed to his own upbringing in some way… I can’t remember clearly enough. I suppose one screwed up Frank begetting another screwed up Frank could have led to similar difficulties for Brian. But Brian continued his father’s work, whereas Frank ran away from home…

7 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Brian continued his father’s work, whereas Frank ran away from home…

It would have been better for us all if Brian had run away and let someone else continue his father's work...

I must not shit, shit is the bum-crapper, shit is the little death that brings bowel evacuation. I will face my shit. I will permit it to pass over me (eww :seanr:) and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the shit has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Speaking of shit, worth bringing this story up again from an interview with the Jodorowsky's Dune director.

Jodorowsky was going to shoot part of the film in Algeria. They spoke to the Algerian government, and the Algerian army was going to play extras. Jodorowsky was looking for who was going to play Jessica, and he wanted a strong, beautiful woman, not a weak dainty woman. Someone with a real spiritual strength. He saw a movie with Charlotte Rampling, and thought she would be perfect. They sent Charlotte Rampling the script, and she agreed to meet with Jodo before she had read the script, and in the script, there is a scene where a character named Rabban the Beast, part of the Harkonnen army. In order to insult Duke Leto, David Carradine, Rabban the Beast gets his army, the Algerian army, to pull down their pants in front of the palace and shit. So there’s going to be a scene of 2,000 extras defecating at once. So here’s Charlotte Rampling, she agrees to meet with Jodo, she gets the script, she reads the script, and she says, “I can’t be in a movie where there’s 2,000 extras defecating on screen! I need to be in a movie that people are actually going to see! Who the hell is going to see this movie?” Jodo said, “It was a great disappointment for me"

Jodorowsky have always been a massive nutcase and his films are atrocious.

(I always liked The Incal, mind)

In other news, a french guys on twitter has been to a pre-screening of Dune, and watched the first 10 minutes and the attack of the harvester at the beginning. He's very positive.

6 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Fuck Dune, I've just heard The Green Knight has been pulled from UK cinema release and now I don't care about nuttin' no more.

Hopefully it's on demand on release date. 

That and Dune are my two most anticipated films this year. 

Looks great, but the dialogue feels wrong, I fear it may be dumbed down and over explained ? Perhaps thats a necessity to make a succesful film of the source material. Even i will accept that the Lynch film didn't make a whole lot of sense without having read the book.

Edit: I'm not feeling Aquaman as Duncan yet. But most of the other casting feels good. I'm 50/50 on Paul though.

Looks interesting, and a LOT more visually inventive than the original trailer - there are some very strong images in there. The dialogue seems very unlike the dialogue in the book, although that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Did Paul ever do any fighting in the book prior to him joining the Fremen? They seem to have amped up the action quite a lot given that it's only covering the first half of the novel, which again is probably a good thing. That scene of him slicing his way through rows of soldiers is not in the original, but doesn't look out of place.

8 minutes ago, K said:

Looks interesting, and a LOT more visually inventive than the original trailer - there are some very strong images in there. The dialogue seems very unlike the dialogue in the book, although that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Did Paul ever do any fighting in the book prior to him joining the Fremen? They seem to have amped up the action quite a lot given that it's only covering the first half of the novel, which again is probably a good thing. That scene of him slicing his way through rows of soldiers is not in the original, but doesn't look out of place.

I think they must be adapting the structure quite a lot if it's to be split into two films, the second of which hasn't even been filmed yet. The book is split into three volumes but it's not like there's any kind of 'blowing up the Death Star moment' partway through that could make a satisfying conclusion by itself, so if it was very faithful it would definitely feel like half a story.

Spoiler

Perhaps The Beast Rabban will be the primary antagonist of this film, with there being some kind of big ruckus at the end once Paul's power has awakened and he's in with the Fremen. That's where I thought that bit near the end of him slicing through soldiers might be from, but the suit doesn't look Fremen.

Perhaps this was in part a reaction by the studio to Bladerunners 2049s disappointing box office returns but this trailer looks like it is trying its best to cover up for an incredibly generic and broad looking movie to me.  

To quote Mechagameszillas review of the 1984 version "Dune is a 1960s novel based around "mind expanding" spice. Either you go weird with it, or you strip everything interesting about it away and do the guy saves the day in space by being The One story. Ho hum." and that is all I can see being here quite honestly.

Also i'm starting to think Hans Zimmer has been going back to the same well a few too many times now to put it lightly. It is such a shame we lost Jóhann Jóhannsson. His music with Hildur Guðnadóttir gave movies like Sicario and Arrival something incredibly powerful and unique to its worlds. 

4 hours ago, K said:

If you look at his eye when the visor opens, they're blue in blue.  It's probably a vision / dream of him fighting with the Fedaykin.

On 22/07/2021 at 14:35, Ry said:

Hopefully it's on demand on release date. 

That and Dune are my two most anticipated films this year. 

Man, I was really looking forward to that. It looked fantastic.