IGNORED

Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

womblingfree

A new challenger enters...From EW.com

'Dune' remake back on track with director Pierre Morel

by Nicole Sperling

Categories: Film, Movie Biz

Paramount has found a new director for its remake of the sci-fi classic Dune, after Peter Berg dropped off the project in October. The studio has hired Taken helmer Pierre Morel to oversee the movie. Paramount is currently looking for a new writer to incorporate Morel’s vision of the project into the original draft by Quantum of Solace scribe Josh Zetumer. Morel plans to make a very faithful adaptation of the 1965 book by Frank Herbert. The movie is a high priority for Paramount’s production chief Adam Goodman. Kevin Misher and Richard Rubinstein are producing.

The Lynch version of Dune got tons right and some things wrong. Overall I think it does a great job of conveying the Shakespearan-esque universe that Herbert created plus it had a very distinctive look. It's not gash it just got some things wrong as was mentioned earlier, the aesthetics of what it did were brilliant. The Sci Fi channel stuff was alright. As for a new version I'm not that fussed to be honest.

I only recently watched the extended edition and quite liked it, fleshes some things out

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Given that we had the Lynch film and the not so great mini-series from a few years ago, do we really need a third pass on this?

I think Hollywood just sees it as an easy/safe sell to us, as there's this built in awareness.

Awareness that something like District 9 certainly didn't need. Well, aside from the Peter Jackson connection and the knowledge of the Halo movie project that got canned.

What about the Frank Herbert awareness? Wouldn't some of us prefer to see a film version of The Dragon in the Sea ???

• 2 weeks later...

Morel has said he wants to make a 'faster and more modern' Dune.

From /Film:

MTV talked to Morel, and has been doling out his comments. Yesterday they ran his respectful ‘toe the literary line’ quotes and today we get some vague ‘here’s what I want to do’ statements.

First things first. Morel says he and his team are starting from scratch, rewriting the script. That writing process doesn’t start for a couple weeks, he says. Remember that cracking the script is what delayed former director Peter Berg for quite a while and ultimately pushed the movie off his plate.

“I’ve been reading [Dune] over and over again – well, I’m 45 now, so for 30 years,” Morel says. His film “is all about the first book. I’m trying to be very respectful to the original novel.”

But the question is: how to properly represent the future? He’s going by the hard-and-fast timeline of the book, which puts it thousands of years in the future. As Morel talks about this, minor alarm bells go off.

“We’ll try to figure out what things may look like 10,000 years from now; it’s all about reconfiguring the entire universe,” Morel says. He mentions wanting to modernize the clothes, and talks about plans that include “working with design concepts, futurists and scientists who will give us a vision of how technology may evolve with certain conditions.”

The latter point sounds good, since the whole idea should be to figure out what is appropriate to the characters based on the lives they live. Start ‘modernizing’ things left and right, and you get some instantly dated embarassments. I expect that Morel is just picking random points off the top of his head to get MTV off his back, and so I’m not putting a lot of emphasis on this stuff yet. Lets see if he can get the story and the politics condensed down into 150 pages and then see where things land. Odds on that actually happening: I’d go with about 40% for, 60% against. Dune has defeated many adaptations.

Surely one of the things about it so far in the future is that human culture bears little resemblance to anything we know now (not Russell T. Davies style Year 8 Billion = We Have Flying Cars!). I doubt even the most talented "futurist" can extrapolate 20,000 years from now, so they should just embrace the opportunity to go hogwild with the designs Jodorowsky style instead of trying to treat it like Minority Report or something.

Or, in fact, Jodorowski. If he's not going to direct, he'd still make a fantastic concepts-man.

Ah, screw it, I just want a massive budget, epic adaptation of Metabarons. Now that would be worth watching. Will never happen, of course, but I can dream :)

• 1 month later...
Didn't Lynch threaten a five hour cut at some point? That was never gonna fly.

I think Lynch originally wanted the entire 16 hours-worth of film to be shown in some format!

Personally, I adore the original film, but I make no bones about the fact that had I not read the books, I'd have had no fucking clue what was going on half the time.

Still think it looks stunning though - the design work in it was fantastic.

Oh, and Toto need to reform for the soundtrack ;)