IGNORED

Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

womblingfree

I'm sure I read somewhere that the extended edition is crap. The extended bits aren't cuts from the film but more explaination stuff if I remember right. I got the 2 disc special edition version after researching which one to get.

Watched it last night actually. Was awesome, but halfway through it is all cut to hell. It concerns me that the new one is going to be faster. If anything the first book needs to be made as a trilogy.

Good news about the blu ray. My DVD seems to have a big scratch on that my new player doesn't like. I wanted to get the german one but nowhere sold it for a reasonable price.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the extended edition is crap. The extended bits aren't cuts from the film but more explaination stuff if I remember right. I got the 2 disc special edition version after researching which one to get.

Do you mean the 'Alan Smithee' version? If so, it isn't crap. There's a nifty comic book type prologue (Virginia Madsen is dropped) and lots of other extra bits. Still doesn't make sense though.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Word on the street is Paramount have six months to get this thing going or lose the rights.

Also, for me, Dune should be like Lawrence of Arabia in Space. THat first shot of Omar Shariff in his black robes in the middle of the desert would be an almost perfect representation of the Fremen...if he had milky blue full eye contacts in (no glowing eye effects please)

There is a really excellent fanedit of Dune called Alternative Edition 2.0 by spicediver that sort of shows you what the movie could have been had Lynch had final edit.

Really changes the film into something much closer to the book and also much more enjoyable to watch.

Also, anyone know where I can buy the German Blu-Ray edition without having to sell a kidney?

• 4 months later...

Latest news on the project - From /film

In the pantheon of Big Difficult Adaptations, Frank Herbert‘s novel Dune has stood tall for years. Efforts to make a film in the ’70s stalled, and a film version nearly defeated David Lynch in the early ’80s. (Some, including David Lynch, might say that it did defeat him.) The mini-series adaptation in 2000 can be considered good only by those who judge quality by how many details from the source are crammed onto the screen, and efforts to make a film version since then have resulted in many script drafts, but no actual film.

Paramount has held the rights to Dune for some time, with the project passing through the hands of multiple screenwriters and directors, but now the studio’s option has lapsed. The rights have reverted to Richard P. Rubenstein, the liaison to the Frank Herbert estate and ABC.

Deadline quotes Mr. Rubenstein saying “Paramount’s option has expired and we couldn’t reach an agreement… I’m going to look at my options, and whether I wind up taking the script we developed in turnaround, or start over, I’m not sure yet.”

One way or the other, we’re likely to see a new film eventually, if not soon. The last time this subject came up, in November, the rights holders were emphatic in stating that they know they’re holding the rights to a massive sci-fi property, and intent to exploit them. Paramount has spent a good deal of money on this project already, when scripts were written for Peter Berg and then Pierre Morel, but the studio is probably making the smart call here by bowing out rather than push a film into production that isn’t ready.

Those who want to see the book treated well should be more worried about the next step, as Mr. Rubenstein has suggested that he’s not willing to sign over rights only to wait another several years for a film to get made. If he makes a new option deal with someone else, it will probably come with a pretty strict timeline. But he may have the most recent script, by Chase Palmer and Pierre Morel, which is said to do a good job of condensing the story into something that would work as a feature. (Using that would also get some money back to Paramount.) He wants to sign those two back on, but first needs a new financial partner.

Let Jackson produce it and let someone else direct it. Jackson is a pretty uninteresting director but he's obviously got the chops when it comes to producing massive sprawling nightmarish productions.

Jackson is probably only behind the likes of Spielberg and Cameron in terms of demands on their time and people wanting them to help sort out some project or other, plus he's going to be a bit busy for the next few years with some other mega-blockbuster, not the sort of timeline which fits well with the wishes of the rights holders.

There are plenty of other book series out there which would work as some mega-blockbuster series, somebody should look into licensing some of those if Dune is too much work.

• 5 years later...

Dune ! 

http://www.slashfilm.com/legendarys-dune-movie/

LEGENDARY ENTERTAINMENT ACQUIRES RIGHTS TO FRANK HERBERT’S CLASSIC SCI-FI NOVEL DUNE

Burbank, CA – November 21, 2016 – Legendary and the Frank Herbert estate have reached an agreement granting the production entity the film and television motion picture rights to the beloved novel DUNE, one of the most revered science fiction novels of all time. The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and television projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers.

Set in the distant future, Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among the noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

Dune has long been considered the crown jewel of science fiction properties. Its legacy and influence is witnessed in everything from STAR WARS to THE MATRIX and often referred to as the science fiction version of LORD OF THE RINGS with its sprawling world and multi-dimensional politics.

The agreement was negotiated by Mike Ross and Jen Grazier on behalf of Legendary and Marcy Morris and Barry Tyerman of JTWAMMK on behalf of the Herbert family.

I love dune, please let this happen and be good.

14 hours ago, monkeydog said:

Not sure I could cope with that interesting. :)

I'd want a more conventional adaptation that one Jodorowsky would make. I've seen El Topo and The Magic Mountain which are both batshit crazy.

I thought David Lynch captured the right tone for his version. Something akin to that with a better script and better special effects would be great.

I really like the lynch film, despite having a load of old bollocks thrown in, like the sonic voice weapon things and all that -  sting wasn't much of an actor but he fit the role well,

latest?cb=20060721051413

Some of the special effects are awful, but some are amazing, and the costumes and sets are great, especially the Harkonnens, like a pervy warhammer fan got to design them.

Get someone like Fincher in to direct 

• 2 months later...

Great choice of director. If nothing else, it will look amazing.  The spaceship reveal in Arrival is one of the most gorgeous shots I've seen in ages.

I hope that the franchise building doesn't the kill the story.  It's hard enough to do as it is, without that sort of studio meddling. 

I'm excited to see what Denis Villeneuve can do with Dune. I thought Arrival and Sicario were great.

I re-watched the David Lynch version recently, it's actually a decent adaption up until about halfway through the movie and has great sets/costumes. I know he took some liberties but I don't think it ruined the story. It just kind of goes to shit around the half way point though, becomes completely incomprehensible.