IGNORED

Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

womblingfree

I came into this blind in terms of never having read the book(s) and only having vague knowledge of the 80's version (I knew about the giant sandworms & that was about it), and I thought it was excellent.  

Delighted part 2 has been greenlit, as I would be disappointed not to find out where the story goes from here.

2 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

My only grip, was Aracas didn't look like a place you could die of heatstroke in 10 minutes. I didn't get the sense of heat . Dust yeah, heat no

I think that's mainly due to them filming on location rather than Green Screening. So you get authentic looking deserts but you can't truly recreate Aracas that way.

Brilliant film with an incredible soundtrack. Visually it looks stunning as well. I've never read the book and can barely remember the 80's film. No doubt it requires a bit of concentration at times but I could have watched another hour of it no problem. An absolute must buy as I'd imagine a home version with Dolby Vision and Atmos would look and sound breathtaking. 

Visually stunning, amazing costumes and lore but I just didn't feel anything for the characters.

Someone describing their dreams has always been tiresome too, and so it is here.

Despite the negatives I enjoyed the experience. I expect it's a grower.

8 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Sounded fine for me, and I didn't even use headphones, just a boggo 2.1 logitech PC system. 

Soundtrack was fine, deffo no Man of Steel or Interstellar though. But I think we're just a bit spoiled but that guy's genius.

Is it confirmed that he actually wrote the music this time, or was it one of the members of his composer ‘training school’ and he’s just stuck his name on it?

Genius at exploiting other people’s work maybe (cough, Carl Orff)

Caught this at an IMAX tonight - not a proper one, I think, but colossal and exceptional quality all the same. Anyone watching this at home is doing it wrong, regardless of their setup.

I loved it basically as much as I thought I would, as a fairly huge Villeneuve fan. It could honestly have done with being a little longer, to give chance to explain a little more, and obviously it couldn't feel more like half a story, but it was fantastic all the same.

I didn't mind Brolin as much as some other posters but, having recently watched season 7 of Taskmaster, I found it really distracting how much he looked like Rhod Gilbert!

It's not often that I'll say that a 2 1/2 hour movie was too short. So many gripes with stuff that needed fleshed out more, but not unhappy with it (also 30 years since I read the books and loved the Lynch version). I could happily have gone straight into part 2

Ended up watching with subs due to the audio mix of the high seas version, glad it wasn't just me (and fuck you Zimmer haters 😛 )

11 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Visually stunning, amazing costumes and lore but I just didn't feel anything for the characters.

Someone describing their dreams has always been tiresome too, and so it is here.

Despite the negatives I enjoyed the experience. I expect it's a grower.

Dreams your mistaken. 

12 hours ago, hmm said:

I didn't mind Brolin as much as some other posters but, having recently watched season 7 of Taskmaster, I found it really distracting how much he looked like Rhod Gilbert!

There’s people not liking Brolin? I thought he was great, especially when he growls out his ‘brutal’ 

Love that whole scene actually. 

20 hours ago, Schnibbles said:

If you think they have Spanish roots because of the bullfighting references, that's taken from the book.

(I don't think they're Greek or Spanish - I didn't think the Houses really have forebears in that way)

I have forgotten the references to bullfighting in the book so that's on me. Here's from the official Wiki:

The legend stated that the Atreides family came from a noble family that originated in Greece on Earth, and that they rose to prominence during the Butlerian Jihad. House Atreides specifically claimed descent from King Agamemnon, a son of Atreus, in Greek mythology. The descendants of Atreus are called "Atreides" (plural "Atreidai", Latinized as "Atreidae") in the Greek language. This Royal House included many significant figures in Greek myth.

1 hour ago, taurusnipple said:

There’s people not liking Brolin? I thought he was great, especially when he growls out his ‘brutal’ 

Love that whole scene actually. 

It's a bit of a shame they put that line in the trailer. Gave me chills the first time around.

22 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I have forgotten the references to bullfighting in the book so that's on me. Here's from the official Wiki:

The legend stated that the Atreides family came from a noble family that originated in Greece on Earth, and that they rose to prominence during the Butlerian Jihad. House Atreides specifically claimed descent from King Agamemnon, a son of Atreus, in Greek mythology. The descendants of Atreus are called "Atreides" (plural "Atreidai", Latinized as "Atreidae") in the Greek language. This Royal House included many significant figures in Greek myth.

image.png.ac4dc50dac7a703da9f78e8d9519d93b.png

If Villeneuve is ignoring the abysmal works of Brian and Kevin, that's alright by me.

15 hours ago, Darwock said:

Is it confirmed that he actually wrote the music this time, or was it one of the members of his composer ‘training school’ and he’s just stuck his name on it?

Genius at exploiting other people’s work maybe (cough, Carl Orff)

Ooh, does he do that? I  hadn't heard about that controversy, that's a shame.

1 minute ago, Mawdlin said:

I loved the first Dune novel (which I read 30 years ago). Are the others worth the effort? I heard it was a case of diminishing returns, but maybe that's unfair..?

Start with House Atreides. Dont listen to the purists. 

28 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I loved the first Dune novel (which I read 30 years ago). Are the others worth the effort? I heard it was a case of diminishing returns, but maybe that's unfair..?

Definitely unfair to say diminishing returns.  The things you can get out of the sequels are a bit different to what you might get out of Dune.

(And don't listen to Stevie unless you like fanfiction)

This breaks down the themes of the six novels nicely.

20211029_155043.thumb.jpg.d8e5ab363147fe08607d71a39e2a5d5e.jpg

21 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Read the Frank Herbert novels from the start until they get too completely insane for you, which for me was Heretics of Dune (the fifth one). 

Anything with Brian Herbert on the cover, don't bother. Or, as a compromise between listening and not listening to 'the purists', buy one and experience the GCSE-level creative writing for yourself. 

6 minutes ago, Schnibbles said:

Read the Frank Herbert novels from the start until they get too completely insane for you.

Yeah, do that.

6 minutes ago, Schnibbles said:

Anything with Brian Herbert on the cover, don't bother.

Also do this.

I've now watched it three times (I personally found it quite easy to re-watch, as Villeneuve's films are so dense, with a lot of subtlety) and I have to say I think this film borders on perfect. After full digesting it, I can't really find any flaws, I think its an amazing piece of cinema, and probably now my favourite of his films.

Also, if anyone doubts the care and attention that Denis (and probably most of his crew) puts into these films, take a look at this "notes on a scene" video. I love the fact that he says the hand inside the box is one of his favourite shots in the entire movie. Says a lot about him.

Saw this last night. It was like someone recorded my brain whilst reading the book. Absolutely amazing watch and I am glad that time has been taken to get out the plot points. It would have been very easy to gloss over and make this into a generic action film. 

Casting was spot on and the design of everything felt very real and believable to me.

Saw this on IMAX last night and was absolutely blown away. One of the most satisfying cinema experiences I've ever had, which says something given my expectations were so massively high. Almost the perfect imagining of 'my Dune' I would say, awesome.

I hope Denis takes a big old box along to the next Academy Awards, I suspect there are going to be many Oscars to cart home.