IGNORED

Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

womblingfree

Oh Jesus, I've seen that the crowd who bought this, instead of planning to share the book with us which is what I thought the purpose was, actually thought they were getting the rights to Dune.

The absolute fucking melts.

Can someone explain what’s going on here? I take it somebody has bought a book for €2.6m, but I’m not sure what happened after that. Twitter still (gladly) confuses the fuck out of me.

No they did genuinely buy the physical book, for about 100 times the actual market value.

Well, I actually read that it’s one of the organisers of the project that actually owns the book, and the project had agreed to buy it from him for twelve million dollars if he won the auction, so he’s going to be OK.

Oh I got it wrong then, the story I read on another site said NFT. So its actually even dumber, they just bought a physcial book. BRB off to make a Spider-man film as I own a couple of old comics.

I'm also reading that they are now talking about turning each page of the book into an NFT to sell, and then.... burning the book to artificially increase the price of the NFTs through what amounts to a PR stunt.

If it’s a rare book, the conditions of sale might mandate its preservation. (A similar crypto project to buy the Constitution failed for this reason - turns out libraries, museums and billionaires know how to do that better than 1000 Ape JPEG collectors.) They’re in French though so I can’t read them.

Edit - Forgot that Google Translate was a thing, it’s all just boilerplate.

That Dune bible story is mental. I can't quite see how or why they paid $2.6m for something that was probably worth a tenth of that. Who were they bidding against? How did the price go so high?

It had part one in the cinema screening I went to. But all the posters and trailers I saw only had Dune as far as I can remember. Must have been a relatively last minute deal done with the finance.

16 hours ago, K said:

That Dune bible story is mental. I can't quite see how or why they paid $2.6m for something that was probably worth a tenth of that. Who were they bidding against? How did the price go so high?

They had publicly announced how much money they were prepared to spend (I think). So someone probably just bidded them up. Absolute idiots. 

2 hours ago, Eric86 said:

How does this hold up on the small screen compared to the cinema? 

It's still terrific but it is definitely one of those movies that benefits from the big screen experience - the audio in particular.

So I watched this yesterday. It’s an odd film. I like what was there, but there wasn’t enough of it. It was both too slow and yet too rushed. Not a lot happened for a long time, then lots of things happened very quickly. Nothing was resolved, there was no payoff. Not a lot is explained, much is confusing, but that’s ok, that’s proper sci fi. That’s the world, deal with it and come along for the ride. I know it was part one, but even then it didn’t feel like a complete movie. 

also, easiest payday ever for zendaya. 

I want to watch the next part, but it’s a shame this feels like half a film.