IGNORED

Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

womblingfree

Snippet from a Denis Villeneuve Variety interview:

“I was able to do ‘Blade Runner’ thinking I would do nothing after, because there was a rhythm in the past few years that was very exciting and I learned a lot as a filmmaker,” he says. “But I got slowly a bit more and more tired physically. And as I was doing ‘Blade Runner,’ which was a very long shoot, I remember thinking, ‘That might be my last movie. I’m going to bed for like three years.’ Now that I’m editing, I’m finding back my energy. And since I was 12 years old there was a book I read, which is ‘Dune,’ which is my favorite book, with ‘1984.’ After ‘Prisoners,’ the producer of Alcon asked me what I would like to do next. I said, ‘Dune,’ spontaneously, that if anyone could get me the rights for ‘Dune’ — and I knew it was very difficult to get those rights. For me it was just a dream, and I guess I’m lucky that Mary Parent from Legendary got the rights and offered it to me. I can’t say no to that. I have images that I am haunted by for 35 years. I will not say no to that. That’s going to be the project of my life.”

He also talked about avoiding green screen on Bladerunner and wanting to do the Arrival aliens as giant animatronics (too expensive) and working with Roger Deakins, who is awesome.

Hope he's able to snag Roger Deakins for this as well.  It's going to look gorgeous.

On 03/02/2017 at 20:33, hauk said:

I'm excited to see what Denis Villeneuve can do with Dune. I thought Arrival and Sicario were great.

I re-watched the David Lynch version recently, it's actually a decent adaption up until about halfway through the movie and has great sets/costumes. I know he took some liberties but I don't think it ruined the story. It just kind of goes to shit around the half way point though, becomes completely incomprehensible.

Well, there is that rumour about a supposed 4 hour cut which will rectify the issues. 

Without Dune we probably wouldn't have Twin Peaks (as it's how Lynch met Maclachlan) and possibly wouldn't have Star Trek: The Next Generation (as it's Patrick Stewart's biggest genre role before Picard) in the way we did. Very underrated film. Amazing how much plot they had to cut - post Lord of the Rings they'd make it as a trilogy today. 

I remember seeing Dune toys in Toys 'R' Us in Glasgow.  It must have been around the time of the films release.  I would have been seven or eight at the time but I distinctly remember being quite fascinated with them.  In fact I think I had a Paul figure which I found a bit worse for wear in the playground.

Being familiar with the film now it's bizarre to think that they thought kids would be flocking to buy the action figures like they did with Star Wars.

• 10 months later...

Villeneuve gave an interview about this recently, I'm not sure if I have read it right, but he seems to indicate this still isn't 100% going to happen yet:

“If it happens,” he adds, cautiously. “That’s the thing. Today you’re asking me this question about a project that doesn’t exist yet. I’m used to talking about projects when they’re shot, finished, I’m in the editing room, I’m about to release the movie. Then you talk about something real. Right now, I might in three weeks or two months learn that nobody agrees on a screenplay, it will be with someone else. It can happen. And when the movie will be made? It’s all theory right now.”

Interesting he states how much he thinks Dune was a big influence on Star Wars, and his version will be the Star Wars film he never got to see, assuming it actually gets greenlit.

“Most of the main ideas of Star Wars are coming from Dune so it’s going to be a challenge to [tackle] this,” the French-Canadian director says. “The ambition is to do the Star Wars movie I never saw. In a way, it’s Star Wars for adults. We’ll see.”

http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/dune-adaptation-will-be-star-wars-for-adults-says-director

• 1 month later...

Sounding like this is going to happen and in a big way, 2 films at least:

Maybe it was his nerves, or perhaps he was just feeling honest and forthcoming, but in front of that huge crowd, Villeneuve dropped a quick update on his forthcoming “Dune” adaptation. “Dune will probably take two years to make,” the director said. “The goal is to make two films, maybe more.”

https://theplaylist.net/denis-villeneuve-two-dune-films-20180309/

• 4 months later...

Not sure Dune would neatly divide into two halves. I can see how the second film would be exciting - Paul among the Fremen, mastering his abilities, learning about the Fremen culture, falling in love with Chani, fighting a guerilla war against the Harkonnen and eventually leading the Fremen to conquer the planet.  What would the first film be about - some kind of political intrigue about the Atreides coming to Arrakis and being betrayed? What would be the climax?

15 minutes ago, K said:

coming to Arrakis and being betrayed

I think that could work as the climax of an initial film. Though I've not seen it for a while (and never finished the book to my great shame) so what do I know! Watching the Lynch film and when I did attempt the book it's odd but I lose interest at roughly the same point (Where Paul is among the Fremen)

3 minutes ago, RobNoyce said:

I think that could work as the climax of an initial film. Though I've not seen it for a while (and never finished the book to my great shame) so what do I know! Watching the Lynch film and when I did attempt the book it's odd but I lose interest at roughly the same point (Where Paul is among the Fremen)

To be honest, the second half of Dune is probably two films in itself. The actual climax of the book is an anti-climax, and cuts off all the tension that builds in the second half in a very rapid denouement that wraps everything up in a couple of pages (apparently a deliberate move by Frank Herbert for some insane Herbertish reason), so you could definitely expand on that a lot. I struggle to see how you could do the first half of the book, and stop it feeling like half a film - I'd do it as a prologue / flashback, and start with Paul entering the desert, because that's where the real story begins.

I've said this before but Dune is one of my favorite books of all time and I love the film as well. To me they have an almost symbiotic relationship. I always recommend to people that they read the book, then watch the film, then read the book again.

The film doesn't work without understanding the book, but somehow the visuals and atmosphere of the film improve the book on subsequent readings. It is an incredible feat of vision. 

It is a rare thing indeed for a film to improve on your minds eye. I think the original LOTR film is the only other example I can think of, although in that case I remember feeling very clearly that this was how I imagined it.

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

First movie is about half the first book

As someone who has read the books, I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I love it, on the other I feel that the Dune universe is so large that a single movie wont do it any justice and it will just end up being a movie set in the Dune universe. I would much rather see HBO make a tv series out of it. 

Of course Arrakis plays a central part since it was the birth place of God Emperor Leto, but its also just one planet leaving out Ix, Caladan, Chapterhouse, Giedi Prime, Kaitan etc etc all with enough content for movies on their own. 

The problem with these sweeping multi-book sagas is nobody has the money (well maybe if Jeff Bezos happens to be a massive fanboy of the material, the only explanation for the rumoured spend on the rumoured Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy adaption Amazon might be doing) to risk doing what fans want. Even splitting Dune into two films is high risk commercially. I've read the book and watched the original cinema cut of Lynch's attempt, can't remember in which order now but both were pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Mr Cochese said:

Dune tends to be pretty dry and high minded - so Villeneuve all over, really. I reckon they'll struggle to make their money back on these two films, never mind a series.

Have you read it recently? It’s not really that high-minded - if anything, it’s more a bananas power fantasy for teenage boys, with some Grade A world building mixed in. The whole thing could be done as a romp - well, the second half of the book at least.

2 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

Dune tends to be pretty dry and high minded - so Villeneuve all over, really. I reckon they'll struggle to make their money back on these two films, never mind a series.

Thats why ideally Villeneuve should look to film them back to back, but not sure a studio would be willing to do that.

On 25/07/2018 at 17:49, ZOK said:

Have you read it recently? It’s not really that high-minded - if anything, it’s more a bananas power fantasy for teenage boys, with some Grade A world building mixed in. The whole thing could be done as a romp - well, the second half of the book at least.

Yeah, it's basically Avatar but with space Muhajadeen and a bit of self-awareness about being a white saviour fantasy.

It doesn't need to be some 9 hour epic, you could do the whole thing in a brisk 90 minutes.

12 hours ago, K said:

Not sure Dune would neatly divide into two halves. I can see how the second film would be exciting - Paul among the Fremen, mastering his abilities, learning about the Fremen culture, falling in love with Chani, fighting a guerilla war against the Harkonnen and eventually leading the Fremen to conquer the planet.  What would the first film be about - some kind of political intrigue about the Atreides coming to Arrakis and being betrayed? What would be the climax?

I would have preferred the book to be a trilogy TBH.

Part 1 - Caladan, arriving at Dune, final battle with the attack and the Duke dying, Paul and Jessica running off into Dune.

Part 2 - Surviving in the desert, becoming Mua'dip and training up, Love story etc

Part 3 - Guerilla war and Climax.

19 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Thats why ideally Villeneuve should look to film them back to back, but not sure a studio would be willing to do that.

I suspect this is actually the route they plan to take with it, save a bit of money that way. Legendary was started by an American banker purely as a money making exercise (considering the sort of material they've chosen to produce) and is now rolling in nouveau riche Chinese money when he sold out to a Chinese conglomerate with global ambitions a few years ago.

They can afford to do it, it could work as some popcorn adventure spectacle which unfortunately might degrade it's actual film quality if they don't let Villeneuve make something of the quality of his past Sci-Fi works.

17 hours ago, probotector said:

I would have preferred the book to be a trilogy TBH.

Part 1 - Caladan, arriving at Dune, final battle with the attack and the Duke dying, Paul and Jessica running off into Dune.

Part 2 - Surviving in the desert, becoming Mua'dip and training up, Love story etc

Part 3 - Guerilla war and Climax.

The first part sounds a bit boring.

I stumbled across something interesting while browsing the YouTubes. Somebody uploaded a copy of a fanedit of the original film. Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux. I ended up watching it over a few sessions, it is close to 3 hours long. It's rather good, no idea how it compares to the equivalent length TV edit or the original cinema cut (can't remember much, if any of it). You can certainly see what the major flaws of the film are, crappy action scenes by modern standards, too much reliance on internal monologuing and significantly aged VFX/SFX. Though for a near 3 hour production, wasn't bored by it so a good but quite flawed film. Why is there a noticeable homoerotic angle to the Harkonnens?

The fanedit seems highly praised so worth checking out for people who haven't seen it or Dune before.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/dune-the-alternative-edition-redux/