IGNORED

Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

womblingfree

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

I stumbled across something interesting while browsing the YouTubes. Somebody uploaded a copy of a fanedit of the original film. Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux. I ended up watching it over a few sessions, it is close to 3 hours long. It's rather good, no idea how it compares to the equivalent length TV edit or the original cinema cut (can't remember much, if any of it). You can certainly see what the major flaws of the film are, crappy action scenes by modern standards, too much reliance on internal monologuing and significantly aged VFX/SFX. Though for a near 3 hour production, wasn't bored by it so a good but quite flawed film. Why is there a noticeable homoerotic angle to the Harkonnens?

The fanedit seems highly praised so worth checking out for people who haven't seen it or Dune before.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/dune-the-alternative-edition-redux/

Have you read Dune?

On 27/07/2018 at 00:07, K said:

The first part sounds a bit boring.

The entire book is boring. The Lynch movie was fucking great, no matter how much he didn't like it. I wouldn't have been able to finish the book without the movie. 

Hopefully Villeneuve will be able to pull something out of the bag and make this not boring too, but given that all of his films have been the acme of boring I am not convinced. Yeah, I know, clutch your pearls, you heard me, I don't like Villeneuve's movies!

7 minutes ago, Tourist said:

The entire book is boring. The Lynch movie was fucking great, no matter how much he didn't like it. I wouldn't have been able to finish the book without the movie. 

Hopefully Villeneuve will be able to pull something out of the bag and make this not boring too, but given that all of his films have been the acme of boring I am not convinced. Yeah, I know, clutch your pearls, you heard me, I don't like Villeneuve's movies!

*does quintuple take*

Next thing, you'll be telling me that the Lord of the Rings films are shit.

19 hours ago, ZOK said:

Have you read Dune?

Yes, a while ago, can't remember in which order I did the film and book. I generally find the best way to approach 95%+ of film adaptions is to not read the book beforehand, usually goes way better that way in terms of expectations management :)

Books have the luxury of spending time covering minutiae films can't afford to, plus they are powered by the most powerful graphics engine in the known universe, the human imagination so the visuals are dirt cheap to render to boot.

Just now, mushashi said:

Yes, a while ago, can't remember in which order I did the film and book. I generally find the best way to approach 95%+ of film adaptions is to not read the book beforehand, usually goes way better that way in terms of expectations management :)

Books have the luxury of spending time covering minutiae films can't afford to, plus they are powered by the most powerful graphics engine in the known universe, the human imagination so the visuals are dirt cheap to render to boot.

Agreed.

I meant in regard to your question about Harkonnen homo-eroticism. As you’ll read in the book, the Baron is gay (and has a predilection for murdeting young men in his employ). You always get the impression Feyd-Rautha plays on this (although more from the Baron’s words than Feyd’s iirc).

I guess Lynch just ramped that up a little, as it feels true to the novel - to me, anyway.

That would explain why Sting is in his underwear glistening in that one scene then :P And the noticeable absence of women in the Harkonnen scenes. I honestly can't remember much of either the book or the Lynch cut now, I believe I originally consumed both within the last decade though.

I think Villeneuve shouldn't have too much trouble topping Lynch's effort, I'll assume they'll give him final cut and he'll have the luxury of a 3-4+ hour runtime to do the story in, while Lynch was forced to butcher his attempt down to ~2 hours. Be interesting to see how he gets around the internal monologue problem.

Did anyone ever see the crazy extended edition that was on TV in the 90s? I’ve not come across it since, and once wondered if I imagined the whole thing, literally checking with my brother to see if I’d dreamt it or not.

We’d been at the pub, and got home around midnight after a skinful. Flicking through the new cable TV channels we stumbled across some weird sci-fi channel with a film just starting. So we grabbed a beer and sat down to watch, figuring it would be over around 1:30 and we’d go to bed. 

It didn’t finish. 

It it just carried on. For what felt like forever. It was strange, and captivating, and disgusting, and exciting. Picard was in it. And sting. What the fuck is this? I think it finished at about 4:30am. 

Years later I saw the normal cut and was confused that loads of scenes were missing. But I don’t think you can buy the long version anywhere. 

Cant wait for the Villeneuve version though.

The disavowed TV edit is also artificially padded out for some bizarre reason. I'd give the fanedit a watch if you want to see probably the best version available done with the known released material, they supposedly filmed close to 5 hours of material in total for the David Lynch film, which was planned to be cut down to ~3 hours, but the producer had final cut and got it butchered down to ~2 hours instead.

That Spicediver fan edit Dune:The Alternative Edition Redux is available on Archive.org

https://archive.org/details/Dune1984AlternativeEditionReduxfanedit

I watched it last night and it certainly makes it easier to follow than the original cut. In saying that, there's still a lot that could be done to make it better - some of the FX are pretty crap, but especially when they're using the voice gun things at the end. I'm not sure if it's because the source film material was missing it, but there seems to be bits where there are no laser style FX at all when they're firing. Making it look like they're comically playing "soldiers" and making a shooting sound with their mouths, while nothing comes out. 

Yes, it's got some great actors in it but it suffers from the typical early 80s "British Shakespearian Actors Forget They're Not On A Stage" acting syndrome. Patrick Stewart is particularly bad at this, shouting his dialog out so everyone in the back rows can hear him. It's almost like the opposite of Flash Gordon, they're both acted out the same but with different results.

I also hope they keep the credits bit where 80s soft rock is played over a background of ocean waves, while the cast (in alphabetical order) are shown one by one looking directly into the audience's eyes as if to say "yes, it was me... IT WAS ME!!!"*

*except for Sting and a couple of others who clearly didn't make this part of the shoot so they used stock footage

imageproxy.php?img=&key=623a6d56661830bc

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 15.57.52.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 15.59.36.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 15.59.58.png

The Prophecy Theme is excellent. Most of the music is tbh.

I have a region 1 steelbook DVD of the TV cut. Most of the other DVD versions were pan and scanned (remember that?) to 4:3 but this release was in the original scope ratio. It's one of the few DVDs I've kept after a recent massive clearout.

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I never understood the slating the movie got. It’s very faithful to the book for the most part.

Have the internal monologue of the book as a voiceover doesn't really work that well.  I still sort of like it though.

Also the villains in the film are too cackling.

I think the only negative criticism of the film that holds any real water (clever Fremen wordplay, cheers) is that if you haven’t read the book, it’s pretty hard to get a real grip on what’s supposed to be happening.

Other than that, it’s fantastic.