IGNORED

Dune - Denis Villeneuve to direct!

womblingfree

8 hours ago, probotector said:

Would have preferred a Middle Eastern actress to be honest :(

She's the only announced Freman isn't she?  

It would suit the narrative for them to be ethnically diverse. I've total confidence in Villeneuve, but it's a way to avoid white messiah issues that could creep in if the Freman are all Arabs.

Also, it's another way to show that they're outside of the Bene Gesserit breeding program.

16 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

She's the only announced Freman isn't she?  

It would suit the narrative for them to be ethnically diverse. I've total confidence in Villeneuve, but it's a way to avoid white messiah issues that could creep in if the Freman are all Arabs.

Also, it's another way to show that they're outside of the Bene Gesserit breeding program.

But Dune is all about the white messiah complex?!

51 minutes ago, probotector said:

But Dune is all about the white messiah complex?!

I've always thought about it being more about messiahering in general.  That might stem from everyone being white in my imagination when I first read it (everyone at my school was white and almost everyone on my estate). 

The story is fine with the Freman being an ethnic group rather than a racial one.

Edit: will add that I'm not saying that there's not an interesting story to tell that is more explicitly about the white messiah complex.  It will need more chopping and changing to the book to make that good though. It's already a tricky book to translate without that hurdle.

7 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I think Villeneuve is an extraordinary film maker and Blade Runner 2049 showed him to be the classy Sci Fi intellectual that we hoped Blomkampf was going to be. I'm so excited for this I can't shit.

I'd have thought Villeneuve already did that the prior year with Arrival? doing a decent sequel to a film nobody thought could get a decent sequel was just him proving it wasn't a one time thing. And this is his dream project :eyebrows:

Doing the hat-trick should put him into the all-time league, before he burns out.

I didn't know that Charlotte Rampling was up for Lady Jessica in Jodorowsky's Dune.

Charlotte Rampling, who will star in Denis Villeneuve's upcoming adaptation of the 1965 novel, was originally wanted to play Lady Jessica in Alejandro Jodorowsky's failed Dune project, but declined the offer due to a scene that involved 2,000 extras defecating at once.

:lol:

I should get round to watching that documentary.   

• 2 weeks later...

It's an incredible documentary, really inspiring and wild and funny and ridiculous. Imagine any story brought to you by HR Giger, Magma, Orson Welles, Pink Floyd, Mick Jagger and Salvador Dali! It might have been a disaster but it would have been a spectacular one.

As for this Dune, i've not read the books but watching the Jodorowsky doc, seeing Villineuve's other films and the cast makes me pretty excited for it.