Game of Thrones (All book discussion in marked spoiler tags please)

fasteasyfree

Even after reading Foxs excellent guide I’m still a bit confused about what’s going on. So can someone clear up a few things with no future spoilers if possible please? Cheers.

• We haven’t met Tommen, and Myrcella yet?
  • The mad King they’re talking about is the Dad of the brother and sister over in Rape-o-land? The king who was killed by the guy shagging his own sister?
  • Winterfell and Kings Landing are a good distance apart I take it? Separated by 100’s of miles of dangerous roads.

TIA

Tommen and Myrcella were both in the second episode though not named. They're having breakfast with their mother and Jaime and Tyrion, and Myrcella asks if Bran is going to be alright after his fall.

The Mad King was indeed Aerys Targaryen, and the two surviving Targaryens are his remaining children. Jaime did kill him, and that's why he's nicknamed Kingslayer - even though he was part of Aerys' personal guard. He's still in the Kingsguard now, for Robert.

Westeros is meant to be roughly the size of South America, so Winterfell and King's Landing are very far apart indeed. That's why it takes about a month of travelling to get between them.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this show. HBO have really nailed it. I'm envious of those who have never read the books and watching the series, or who are just starting to read the books now. I cannot wait to see the reactions to countless events along the way.

My girlfriend just finished A Game of Thrones and then watched the first two episodes. She was a bit disappointed in the wolves (should be bigger) and she agreed with most of you about the Drogo/Dany rapey bits (she preferred the way the book handled them).

I read the first book five years ago so I'm not too hung up on the small details thankfully. I'd even forgotten the

assassination

stuff from the second episode, which is a bit thick of me considering it sets up much of the plot.

I hope the ratings are bloody huge for this, I want a good 7/8 seasons please.

I hope the ratings are bloody huge for this, I want a good 7/8 seasons please.

I would asume each season would be based on one book, or do the books not really pan out like that?

EDIT: I'll need to pick up the books, but think I'll wait until I've finished watching this season first.

I would asume each season would be based on one book, or do the books not really pan out like that?

They'll probably start to mix and match a bit as they go on. At least I hope so, otherwise I'm not looking forward to the Feast for Crows season.

Westeros is meant to be roughly the size of South America, so Winterfell and King's Landing are very far apart indeed. That's why it takes about a month of travelling to get between them.

Yep, here's a look at the map for those who are interested...(may contain spoilers, I'm not entirely sure)

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/map/

And here's a much more detailed and in depth look at the various houses and the people who make them up...

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/houses/

Finally, a look at the history of Westeros...(Robert's rebellion, Westeros through the ages, gods, dragons, etc)

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/appendix/

HBO really have put a lot effort into fleshing out all world, the characters, etc.

:)

The third book (I think) is split into two fairly large books, it would take a lengthy season.

Also I assume that the series name will stay as Game of Thrones until the end and as Harsin says, they will definitely have to mix Feast and Dance together otherwise, season 4 (or 5) will feel very disjointed. Who knows? They might not even stick to one book per season. There's plenty of mid-book events that would be well suited to season end cliffhangers.

Loving this so much I bought the first book, but I'm wondering if that's a mistake? I like to be surprised by the unfolding plot of the show, but I'd also like to delve deeper into things the way the books would (presumably) let me.

Hmmm.....

Yep, here's a look at the map for those who are interested...(may contain spoilers, I'm not entirely sure)

The Viewer's Guide is free of spoilers. They may update it as the season goes on but right now it doesn't tell you anything plot-wise that you wouldn't know from the first couple of episodes.

Good news!

Entertainment weekly.

Despite the previous week’s untimely direwolf death that rankled some viewers, HBO’s Game of Thrones rose in the ratings for the first time Sunday night. The show’s Sunday’s 9 p.m. airing was seen by 2.4 million, up from the past two weeks’ 2.2 million.

Sunday night’s airings may have been impacted somewhat by Osama bin Laden’s death announcement on the West Coast, though the show had finished on the East Coast before the news leaked.

If you're thinking her comment means there's some direwolf genocide in book 3, rest easy: there's not, so it's not a spoiler. In fact nothing sad happens at the end of book 3 so I don't quite know what she means.

You hinted at some sort of direwolf killing spree I think, which of course doesn't happen, so no, it's not a spoiler. Bit of an odd post though.

I didn't hint at anything, When I put "actually no, that might be mistaken as a spoiler", that was me editing something that I had written

Loved episode 3. I found the criticism that the passage of time is a it squiff to be a bit more obvious here.

Blondie's pregnant??! And suddenly her and rape-king are in love??

But it doesn't dampen my enjoyment one bit. Loved blondie man coming to the realisation that

his sister has way more power than he could dream of.

All in all, it's the nearest I've come to a Saturday matinee cliff-hanger since the re-runs of Flash Gordon from the 50's. May crack and buy the books, especially when waiting for season 2 to arrive.