Game of Thrones (All book discussion in marked spoiler tags please)

fasteasyfree

Spoilers???? Yet to watch this weeks!

Spoiler rules are that you hold off posting anything before 8pm the day after it's first aired. After that, all comments on the episode can be said without spoilers. If you haven't seen the episode, don't come in the thread.

Anyway, yes, a cracking episode. I thought the build up in the tavern at the end could have done with more build up, if I'm honest. It's a hella lot more tense in the book that scene. Still well done though, especially when all the swords came out. Reminded me of some kind of medieval True Romance or something.

Oh, and I would have liked to see more of the joust.

Oh, and I would have liked to see more of the joust.

Spoilered because it refers to previews/trailers and promo material for stuff that hasn't aired yet:

We're definitely going to get more of the tournament. At the very least, we'll see Gregor Clegane fighting Loras Tyrell (the Knight of Flowers), and if we're really lucky we might get a little bit of the melee with swords and clubs (and Thoros of Myr with his burning sword) but that's less likely. In fact, probably wishful thinking on my part. The Clegane/Tyrell fight is definitely in though, as pictures/footage of it has been shown.

That last scene with Catelyn was fantastic.

Ep 4 musing, and nothing else:

Aye, but I wonder if Ned will be pissed off with her for moving against the Lannisters before they had any realy proof, and before he was ready in King's Landing.

I loved that final scene, but no matter what the links and ties to her family are wouldn't pulling swords on the the dwarf be pretty much declaring war against the king?

no, why would it be declaring war against the king? Tyrion is only the King's brother in law

no, why would it be declaring war against the king? Tyrion is only the King's brother in law

I would have thought you'd need the Kings say so to arrest one of his relatives (even an in-law). Normally people is the Imps position are pretty much untouchable.

The way it was played out was like a our family and families that are loyal to us, over the The Imp and his family. I possibly read it wrong, but it did look like the sort of thing likely to spark a war between the families and divide loyalties between other families.

I loved that final scene, but no matter what the links and ties to her family are wouldn't pulling swords on the the dwarf be pretty much declaring war against the king?

I got the sense from that scene in the book that

Catelyn felt certain that Tyrion seeing her there was going to be big trouble and the end to subtlety anyway. For starters, the Lannisters would know that she had secretly been to King's Landing to meet with Ned, they'd figure out what the Starks knew, and maybe they'd even try to have her disappeared on the road home.

It wasn't mentioned in the show, but in the books one of the things she was heading back to Winterfell for was to quietly give the order to man their southern defences.

(Spoilered for things covered in the book but not the show up to current events)

I would have thought you'd need the Kings say so to arrest one of his relatives (even an in-law). Normally people is the Imps position are pretty much untouchable.

The way it was played out was like a our family and families that are loyal to us, over the The Imp and his family. I possibly read it wrong, but it did look like the sort of thing likely to spark a war between the families and divide loyalties between other families.

I don't want to go into detail because it's spoilers that will be upcoming, but its less declaring war on the king and more declaring war on the Lannisters by arresting their kinsman when they are pretty much of the same rank, in an area that despite her being born a Tully, she has no direct authority to do so in

Cat wants justice for what happened to Bran and the subsequent assassin's attempt on his life. She thinks it's the work of Tyrion so she isn't thinking incredibly clearly at that point, IMO. She's thinking like a parent who wants revenge for the wrong done to her child and not about the greater implications at a political level.

I liked that bit. How he saw her skulking in the corner and thought it would be funny and clever to out her, and then she just gets up and unexpectedly turns the tables on him by pulling connections on every single knight in the room. Blammo!

It obviously wasn't him what done it, though. Are these people thick or what?

There's a lot of setup that episode. Things are getting interesting.

I know this might not be the book thread, but I'm interested to hear how the book feels to those that started reading because of the show.

I read the first book ten years ago now. It seemed ridiculously well realised. I loved the names of the places, the legends, everything. I think the show is a little lighter, but in a way that's perfect for the medium.

I cannot wait to see the next few episodes.

There's a lot of setup that episode. Things are getting interesting.

I know this might not be the book thread, but I'm interested to hear how the book feels to those that started reading because of the show.

I read the first book ten years ago now. It seemed ridiculously well realised. I loved the names of the places, the legends, everything. I think the show is a little lighter, but in a way that's perfect for the medium.

I cannot wait to see the next few episodes.

I've started reading the book in tandem with the show; so I'll watch the episode then read the chapters that it's taken from. It's pretty good but I'm finding it a bit hard to follow outside of the main characters from the TV show. I'm really enjoying getting more detail and colour on the main charcters but some of the writing is a bit OTT for my tastes. There's long descriptive passages that I find myself skipping over and there's only so much 'Rangor the son of Caldor who slew the giant Elk of the North' type of stuff I can handle. But I'm not much of a fantasy fan to begin with.

Enjoyed the episode as always, as a massive fan of the book. But felt from a production value perspective, that this was the worst episode. For example the jousting tournament was pretty bad in my opinion. The crowd sounds were out of sync with the crowds themselves, who it seemed just milled around, looking at each other, wondering what to do. And the wide angle shots looked pretty poor, considering some of the awesome shots of the wall that we've had etc, but I guess that doesn't have any people in it.

From a story perspective, more of an episode to set things in motion for future episodes and lots of people finally understanding whats going (like Ned having a lighbulb moment after his chat with Cersai).

I'd skimmed that character guide at first, but now I've read it and it's cleared up a lot of things. Great work, thanks :)

It also made me realise something in episode 4:

I'm assuming the knight was killed intentionally at the joust, because Ned was looking to speak with him.

I'd skimmed that character guide at first, but now I've read it and it's cleared up a lot of things. Great work, thanks :)

It also made me realise something in episode 4:

I'm assuming the knight was killed intentionally at the joust, because Ned was looking to speak with him.

in response to your spoiler

I only realised that after reading the character guide... while it had registered during watching the show, the plot delivery was soooo deep in that episode that it was easy to miss things.

I reckon that's why littlefinger did that story telling to princess lassie - just a demonstration of how these guys spread rumours and manipulate others for their own benefit and protection... and then the bloke got died

Yeah considering the joust was hyped as being a grand occasion for all of Kings Landing, it made it look like the population of Kings Landing was about 12 :lol:

Still loving it though, overall it's so well acted and cast that I can't decide who my favourite character is, it keeps changing. I must have a favourite character.

I've started reading the book in tandem with the show; so I'll watch the episode then read the chapters that it's taken from. It's pretty good but I'm finding it a bit hard to follow outside of the main characters from the TV show. I'm really enjoying getting more detail and colour on the main charcters but some of the writing is a bit OTT for my tastes. There's long descriptive passages that I find myself skipping over and there's only so much 'Rangor the son of Caldor who slew the giant Elk of the North' type of stuff I can handle. But I'm not much of a fantasy fan to begin with.

While there is a lot of that sort of thing, almost to the point that it is too difficult to keep it all in mind as you read on, paying attention to it will reap rewards. The story has so many characters that you would think that many of them are throwaway, but they are not. The relationships and histories of even what seem to be bit parts are well realised and may come to the fore yet. For example, how many noted that the old guy who is commander at the wall (only seen and mentioned is passing so far) is called Mormont, same as the knight who is accompanying Daenerys.

A site that I found handy while I was reading the books was The Tower of the Hand. It has extensive chapter summaries and character bios and all sorts of stuff. I found that if I though I recognised someone from earlier but could not remember where and could not easily find out by skimming back, the chapter summaries and bios could set me straight. The best thing about the site is that it has a spoiler setting that you can set to tell up to which book you have read and it will conceal facts relevant to what you have not.

Obviously, you should exercise extreme care there if you have not yet finished the first book and want to avoid spoilers. You might be better off sticking the official bios and Fox's posts.