rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wickedkitten

RIP John Hughes

I know everyone loves Ferris Bueller and Breakfast Club (and rightfully so) but for me it was his films with John Candy which really made me love his work.

They worked excellently together and were a great team, Hughes really knew how to use Candy at his best. I always loved John Candy and whilst I like all his other films Hughes knew how to really bring that loveability and warmness out of him on screen. Saying that, even though he didn't direct it I do have a really soft spot for Babys Day Out as well. Hell he's got a whole list of films I adore - Some Kind Of Wonderful, Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles - the list goes on.

RIP John. Think I'm going to have to watch a few of his classics this weekend.

I really miss John Candy :(

Shit. Bad news, I know a few people who'll be hit hard by this. Always liked Ferris & Breakfast Club and longed for a comeback.

You're right, she's devastated! To me John Hughes is like early Simpsons, all the humour but along with charm and a message or some proper human storylines which today's similar movies and simpsons episodes are sorely missing.

Pretty much hated most of his films but he'll be sorely missed for Planes Trains and Automobiles.

You're a cold, cold man, Cooks.

Planes, Trains is easily my favourite comedy ever, and Hughes sure knew how to get the most out of his cast and material.

R.I.P. John.

I hated Ferris Bueller's Day Off ...

I thought it was just me! So I'm not the only guy in his 30's now who hated that film!

Yeah, I do.

Ferris Bueller is an atrocity. But everything else the guy did is beautiful, pretty much.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a behemoth of humanity disguised as a fluffy comedy. A masterpiece.

Ferris Bueller is an atrocity.

Why, pray tell? All I can glean from this thread is that if you are Scottish it seems, Ferris is a no no. You're wrong, of course, but I'm interested in why you'd find fault in it!

I would also like to state for the record that I've never yet seen Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Whenever I want to watch it, my girlfriend always convinces me to put 'The Money Pit' on instead. :twisted:

Yeah, I do.

Ferris Bueller is an atrocity. But everything else the guy did is beautiful, pretty much.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a behemoth of humanity disguised as a fluffy comedy. A masterpiece.

Ferris Bueller is probably one of my favourite films of all time.

I need to re-watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles and find 16 Candles and Pretty In Pink as I've not seen those.

Didn't know he wrote Drillbit Taylor. Is that any good?

(will try and find a better quality version, love that part)

I like Ferris Bueller but I can see why people don't like it compared to John Hughes other films. It doesn't really have the warmth of them and Ferris comes off as a smug little shit in it a lot of the time. I still like it but for me it's one of Hughes weaker films.

Yeah, but Ferris Bueller is all about Cameron, surely?

Yeah of course, he's the best character in it. Doesn't make you want to slap Ferris any less though :twisted:

I'd never heard of him until he died (and thus not tied together all his movies as being by the same person), but thinking back they (for me) all tread that same thin line between shite and genius which means I've seen them all ten times despite not being particularly impressed.

Ahh, this is sad news. I love so many of his movies.

RIP man. :twisted:

And, as no-one's really mentioned it, I'd like to give a huge round of applause to National Lampoon's Vacation, which is probably my favourite JH move.

holiday ro-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-o-od

"We went dancin', dancin', dancin' 'cross the USA.."

Makes me kinda sad to think about it now... :twisted:

I can kind of see how some of you might perceive Ferris as a smug, arrogant shit but my God I've wanted to be that smug arrogant shit every day of my life since I watched that film.

In reality I probably veer dangerously between Ferris' outlook and that of Cameron.

It never occurred to me before that anyone could not like Ferris Bueller's Day Off...! Blimey, shows how much I know.

I'm completely gobsmacked. I've never met anyone who doesn't love it.

Weird.

I'm another Ferris Beuller hater, but I absolutely love Uncle Buck. The man could write comedy alright.

That's beautiful. Beautiful.

I've always kind of...horrible to say, but when someone tells me they love Ferris Bueller I've always taken them to be an arsehole. Obviously not the case since good people here like it. The character's just an upper-middle class materialist snob. It's a slice of the dark side of the 80s. It's not particularly funny, and it's damagingly aspirational. A total misfire. Ferris' friend is the only Hughesy character in there, really. Surely you're not meant to like Ferris? He's a monster. I don't know. I hate it.

All Hughes' other stuff, though? Championing the average guy and girl, being human, heart everywhere? Beautiful.

I can kind of see how some of you might perceive Ferris as a smug, arrogant shit but my God I've wanted to be that smug arrogant shit every day of my life since I watched that film.

Yeah, I mean...that film probably created some Buellers. Some Reaganite, horrible, sexist, bullying Buellers.