IGNORED

Take A Pic Of Your Dinner!

Blue

• 1 month later...

My plan tonight was the healthy chickpea and spinach curry I made the night before but work annoyed me so I wanted something less worthy. Picked up some lamb mince from Tesco and a garlic and parsley flatbread and knocked up a cheats Lahmacun with some red pepper, onion, patsely and Aleppo pepper. It did a job.

IMG_0016.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

so after the revelation that is air fryer KFC the next home takeaway dish to try out is doner kebab meat

did a bit of googling and this had decent reviews

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23670/authentic-turkish-doner-kebab.aspx

just tried it out and its pretty impressive, for my taste I'd add a little more salt, cook for about 55-60m (I used 20% fat lamb and cooked for about 1h 10m and it was just a tad dry, so I think a bit less cooking to keep some of that fat in).

have to say though its very impressive, definitely a 'proper' elephant leg kebab. I had a bit of sriracha for chilli sauce and the final taste sensation was some Hellmans kebab garlic sauce.

Recipe needs couple of small tweaks but as a first crack its pretty close and will definitely be tried out again, really tasty.  

kebab.thumb.jpg.112ffcc9d3a653a979b98f46e07b9989.jpg 

I just bought a bag of mixed salad and didn't overstuff it for the pic as wanted the meat in the shot ! it got a bit more salad, red onion and chilli sauce before face stuffing !

No pic, it was just a smallish meatloaf, I think the keys are the flour in the spice mix, and the kneading stage to get it smooth and compressed. I cooked it in an loaf tin but not too snug, as wanted the outside to brown, and did turn it a couple of times to get some browning.

Home made doner is the way forward though, no reason I couldn't scale up the recipe, slice, then freeze baggies of ready to use kebab meat. 

The garnish police won't approve of this pic either I suspect

kebab.thumb.jpg.3267f82d2005ae098bfd044110aa03d3.jpg

tried a second batch today, doubled the salt, altered cook time to 50mins - perfection (to my taste, some of the fat was left in the loaf making a moister meat, first time I cooked 20m longer and it dried out a bit more so just cook to your pref)

other than not be able to thinly slice like they do in a kebab shop its proper tasty doner meat, can't believe how simple it is to make

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/10/2017 at 17:45, Gotters said:

other than not be able to thinly slice like they do in a kebab shop its proper tasty doner meat, can't believe how simple it is to make

Could you maybe go at it with a vegetable peeler for that deliciously thin sensation?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got a new stainless steel frying pan (was only £27 when I ordered it), made a spagbol in it yesterday (while grossly overestimating how much could be put in the pan), today I made this:

P1020615_01.thumb.jpg.d39824d1a133690585dcfd3d5fc2b7cd.jpg

I used waaaaaaay too much oil, ended up having to dab a bunch off with a paper towel, which presumably led to the unfortunately loss of some glorious chicken fat, and also led to less browning and crispiness than could otherwise be achieved. I also feel like I underseasoned the chicken thighs. Still, it was extremely tasty. I think this will probably become one of my "standard" meals as it came together quickly and didn't take too much fussing. Pretty much everything else I know how to cook involves pasta too, so this might help me not be fat.

I also picked up a carbon steel frying pan this week too, a smaller version of the same one I bought about a year ago when I still had an electric plate hob, which I completely ruined it on trying to season the thing. This one is much smaller and will fit in the oven if need be, so it should be fine. I've already scratched my induction hob with it though - the guy who delivered it seemingly just had it on the floor of his van, and there was a bit of a dink on the bottom, which combined with the weight let to a major gouge happening, which I'm not thrilled about. I'll have to sand that down before it's usable I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

105 days this year with only SlimFast shakes and the occasional yo sushi

for my first home made meal of the year had to be curry - chickpea and chicken but being born and bred Glaswegian had to also have the traditional veg pakora

56B7A4E3-1A3D-4D6F-B832-929B75339536.jpeg

Those look good - I’ve been looking at lots of Mexican recipes recently after the Food Ranger YouTube series over there (I can leave the insect and intestine shit but the Mexican classics look great)

Got a recipe link for the Barbecoa please ?

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Those look good - I’ve been looking at lots of Mexican recipes recently after the Food Ranger YouTube series over there (I can leave the insect and intestine shit but the Mexican classics look great)

Got a recipe link for the Barbecoa please ?

https://therecipecritic.com/2016/04/slow-cooker-barbacoa-beef/

Had to get a lot of stuff from mexgrocer as it's not easy to find proper corn tacos, chiles in adobo etc in normal shops.