rllmuk
Blue

Take A Pic Of Your Dinner!

working from home, the mrs said she fancied lamb and dumplings so i nipped out at 11 and got the ingredients

half a leg of lamb on a bed of fresh veg in a red wine sauce, dumplings going in later after its been in there for a solid 7 hours on low

sc1.thumb.png.47f55c268c2eb53c936b78051ecb9f0b.png

Update: just before serving, i put the sauce in a pan to reduce it on the hob, and just let the dumplings sit in that after i had crisped them in the oven. Never really eaten dumplings in my 41 years, but i think i may now be addicted to those stodgy little lumps of sauce soaking goodness!

• Upvote 6

I put the Vitamix blender that @Gotters so kindly sold me today. It was lovely. Steaming hot soup in about 8 minutes from frozen peas and some other ingredients:

pea soup.jpg

• Upvote 4

Absolute mess of a plate, terrible lighting taken on my pretty terrible camera phone, but tasty. Duck breast, duck fat potatoes, green beans, tenderstem broccoli, balsamic shallots, blackberry sauce.

FB_IMG_1573360328771.jpg

• Upvote 7

Chicken hayashi (usually done with beef), one of those classic Japanese yoshoku (western style Japanese) dishes with Kewpie mayo on top, because Kewpie makes everything better. Also a chance to use my new Japanese bowl (although I think it's meant for ramen).

IMG_20191205_185252_01.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

That hayashi is a new one on me @stephen129 looks great, did you follow a recipe, share please if so.

It's just one of those curry roux block things. I did add some random stuff in though. Some coffee, bit of ketchup, a blitzed up apple, honey, garlic etc. It'd be very easy to make from scratch though. It's basically a Japanese take on a French beef stew. Some yoshoku is great, katsu, Japanese curry, some pastas, other things are a bit questionable.

Screenshot_20191206-123955_01.png

• Upvote 1

Eggs Benedict, ham, spinach, onsen eggs (75c sous vide), Tesco finest hollandaise (cba to make my own and this is good and can survive in the fridge)

IMG_20200101_193153.jpg

• Upvote 4

The wife got me a Lodge cast iron pan for Christmas. I’ve been pining after one for ages. They take a little looking after (seasoning etc) but I like all that sort of stuff. Highly recommended. 

So far it’s behaved admirably especially as the seasoning hasn’t really fully developed yet.  

Sausage.

FC840421-4EB7-49EF-BC5B-68AD932E9C50.thumb.jpeg.ec7ef19e926ca6e21759f5c1761fd37b.jpeg

Potatoes.

750A0D86-B5E0-4C34-B0AE-9148375FC434.thumb.jpeg.ae9d71cccbf32529dce0991acf34f1be.jpeg

Steak.

A7E9D540-C00C-4282-B064-534F550E1CF5.thumb.jpeg.b4799c6c201c0102dba96ce77ab9622a.jpeg

And today’s lunch, Mexican Corned Beef Hash.

9BDBD03A-C083-4B63-B282-B0643AB9EC0D.thumb.jpeg.32c5101c2b6c8cfcabf8020a2fa4a3df.jpeg

5C886577-C0C8-466D-AFAC-9F5160F496DD.thumb.jpeg.323dd77bfd8adab42de05e1f6035cef9.jpeg 

• Upvote 4

the Lodge pans come pre seasoned so give you a good starter to work on top of, I love mine, certain things just don't cook the same in anything but cast iron.

maintenance wise as you say they are a little more work but not much, i wash mine in warm soapy water (soap doesn't remove seasoning) then always give them a quick blast back on the hob to ensure they are thoroughly dry and can't rust in storage.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I’ve used the same method, a quick wash, dry, heat on hob for max dryness! Then a light rub with oil. 

Just now, jimmbob said:

Yeah I’ve used the same method, a quick wash, dry, heat on hob for max dryness! Then a light rub with oil. 

let me know if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but leaving cold oil in a warm pan won't create the polymerised surface on the pan that is 'seasoning' 

• Upvote 1

Yeah that’s what I’ve been doing, heating to dry, light rub with oil, heat until it just starts to smoke, forget it’s hot, burn hand, leave to cool. 

Just now, jimmbob said:

Yeah that’s what I’ve been doing, heating to dry, light rub with oil, heat until it just starts to smoke, forget it’s hot, burn hand, leave to cool. 

ah, the smoking bit wasn't in your first routine, that'll help get you a surface.

do warn you about going down the rabbit hole on youtube of pan seasoning techniques - its mad the lengths people go to. 

• Upvote 1