Take A Pic Of Your Dinner!

Blue

I absolutely love liver, and it's so cheap. There's an Antonio Carluccio recipe I make sometimes called Tagliatelle e Fegatini, which is simply onions, chopped chicken livers, tomato puree, stock, nutmeg, bay leaf and sherry to make a light ragu, served tossed with the pasta, and with Pecorino on top.

It's really tasty, I might make some at the weekend.

What sort of liver did you use?

My mum used to do chicken liver sandwiches, they were awesome.

Pig liver. I prefer lambs liver or chicken liver but my children won't eat these as the flavour is too strong. You cannot beat the gravy produced from liver.

Chicken livers are the mildest of the three though. <_<

Also, you can soak liver in milk to tone the flavour down a bit.

They've tried chicken liver pate and they don't like it. Maybe it's the way I cook liver but I've always found pig liver to be the mildest - I must admit, I haven't cooked chicken liver for a long time so I might just have forgotten what it tastes like.

I don't mind kidney but liver and kidney is about the only offal I eat - supermarkets don't sell a wide selection and no one in my family would even consider trying heart. I would like to try head cheese.

I'm doing my Mum a Mother's day Sunday lunch this weekend. Got some half price supersize prawns for a prawn cocktail, a shoulder of lamb and all the veggies for roasting. I don't know what to do for desert though and I am crap at it - I want to make something rather than buy something and all I can really do well is bread and butter pudding and lemon posset. Any suggestions.

I'm doing my Mum a Mother's day Sunday lunch this weekend. Got some half price supersize prawns for a prawn cocktail, a shoulder of lamb and all the veggies for roasting. I don't know what to do for desert though and I am crap at it - I want to make something rather than buy something and all I can really do well is bread and butter pudding and lemon posset. Any suggestions.

My mum makes this awesome pudding which is basically just smashed up Crunchie bars mixed in to fairly thick whipped cream and then left in the fridge overnight. As simple as you'll get and tastes like heaven. You can do it with pretty much any chocolate/comb snack, maltesers are pretty good for it. Treacle sponge is a nice one too, you just can't beat homemade sponge.

I can just imagine! Oh man, why have I never thought of doing that? I used to have a liver-based starter in an Indian restaurant in Blackheath which was awesome.

There's one in Heaton Mersey (Stockport / Manchester) that does that. Namasti Nepal in Disbury (Manchester) does a great curried kidneys as well.

We may need to start a "liver recipes" thread...

That looks great! Did you make them in a deep fat fryer? If I had one I'd be doing that all the time.

I friend them in a Wok, they're not completely immersed in the oil so they have to be turned, but I think that helps with the cooking anyway - They need to be cooked for about 12 mins or so.

I friend them in a Wok, they're not completely immersed in the oil so they have to be turned, but I think that helps with the cooking anyway - They need to be cooked for about 12 mins or so.

Don't tell me that! I have a wok!

Happy 5000 posts also.

This is breakfast and it's a 5 minute job but presents well. so cheating here but these eggs came out great with a poaching device I bought on a whim:

poachedeggs.jpg

Before:

eggpoacher.jpg

The yellow thing is what I mean, the pan is just any old pan.

Before I had just poached eggs by dropping them in the water, and it works but you're always chasing the eggs around. This way they stay in one place and because they keep within the yellow dish thing you can sprinkle spices and stuff on them as they cook. They came out amazing. The spinach leaves had a little bit of brazil nut oil, which is very nice for salad. The ham was home-prepared but my dad did that so I can't take credit for it, but it is amazing!

You are called cowfields and your plates have moo moo written around them?

We have those poaching things too. I've not tried using them yet though.

Hahaha well, actually this wasn't my plate. I've just moved (MOOOVED) into a shared house and they had this plate, I saw it in the rack, chuckled to myself and picked it out. So I didn't go buying it. But yeah try them out, it's great. Economical too, I use far less water this way than I did without.

Speaking of livers I had Reindeer liver last weekend from some little Rudolph who'd lived in and eaten from the same field in Lapland his whole life. Was amazing. Had it with Bacon, more reindeer meat, ligonberries with a hint of licorice and mash.

Some Entrecote on the Saturday, which we cooked on a fire we'd made out in the snow, followed by a late evening cheese board which had a kilogram of baked Brie on it.

Then Sunday, duck breast with jerusalem artichoke puree and those tiny little mini onions.

Good weekend.

You cannot beat liver Tikka. Liver marinated in Tikka Spices and Yoghurt, and then Grilled. Wonderful in a Kebab.

This!! This is what I'll be having for my starter when I go for a curry tomorrow night, they use Chicken Livers and it's as you said but also has sone Onions with it, fantastic ;)