IGNORED

The Walking Dead!

The Sarge

Aye, the show seams to be filled full of extremely bad writing. I still can't forget that wee speach Rick gives infront of everyone when they need to cut a zombie up. It was so fucking ham fisted and out of fucking nowhere, it just came through as drivel rather than something heart felt.

In the latest episode where the sister cradles her dying sister, how much better would it have been if she was denied that solace and dragged off for one the group to finish her off before she turns.

Solace? Lol.

That would have been the clichéd thing to do. Zombies take a while to turn in TWD. And the survivors have no prior knowledge of zombies so they probably don't know it happens yet.

I'm not just blindly sticking up for it, I think some of the writing is really clunky but I don't agree with most of the observations people are making here.

I think rumblecat is bang on when he says the short run has hampered it a bit. The curious choice of adding lots of extra characters doesn't really help much either.

I think it's fair to say most of the main charchters are people who've survived so far and know the perils of getting bit. Take the father and son from the first ep who had rick restrained and asking him how he was bleeding from his arm.

Also, anyone else think the way the shows going, it would be great to have a whole episode where we follow Merle off the roof? That would be awesome. seriously he's the most watchable charachter so far ^_^

Also

fucking bet he turns out to that mental in charge of that soldier base from the comic book. The guy that rides at the prison walls in a fucking tank ^_^

Point based on comic book spoiler

Merle loosing his hand really got me thinking along the lines of it being an indication to the fans of the books, there are going to be some pretty big and significant changes. The books are more so about Rick changing, as they are the other characters, it really is the story of him and his son and their on going survival, at least that is my impression from the end of book 5 (waiting for an empty sunday to read HC six.) So for another character to loose his hand so early on, when Rick looses his later on in the books, seemed to be pretty symbolic, an inside nod maybe, saying we know what we are doing, bear with us.

Probably over thinking it.

This was the first episiode where the deviations from the comic were a bit shit, there was no need for the...

The Hispanic old people carer gang, the speech the leader guy was giving from his chair at the end was laughable, if that was in the comic the guy with the arrow in his arse would of turned cuz the arrows were being reused and he had Undead blood in his system and tore all those sick old people to pieces. I didnt really see the point of this apart from to pad out the episode, theres no lack of survivors to meet in the comic

Maybe some people don't give a fuck about obsessng over the details in the fucking comic. Jesus, there's more discussion about comparing it with the comic than the actual show.

Calm down love.

COMIC SPOILER

fucking bet he turns out to that mental in charge of that soldier base from the comic book. The guy that rides at the prison walls in a fucking tank ^_^

Yeah, I think you could be right dude.

Point based on comic book spoiler

Merle loosing his hand really got me thinking along the lines of it being an indication to the fans of the books, there are going to be some pretty big and significant changes. The books are more so about Rick changing, as they are the other characters, it really is the story of him and his son and their on going survival, at least that is my impression from the end of book 5 (waiting for an empty sunday to read HC six.) So for another character to loose his hand so early on, when Rick looses his later on in the books, seemed to be pretty symbolic, an inside nod maybe, saying we know what we are doing, bear with us.

Probably over thinking it.

Reply to comic book spoiler

Pretty much what I thought as soon as it happened, but I just don't think Rick is going to lose his hand in the TV version - Merle was a nod to the comic book fans. Just from a cost point of view how much extra work/effects need to be done to have a main character (convincingly) lose his hand?

EDIT: heh, what insin said :lol:

Comic spoiler

I'm putting a fiver on that hand getting chopped the fuck off. It's not like they need some amazing CG or anything, just a prosthetic, and they've got a great team churning those out every week for the zombies.

Maybe some people don't give a fuck about obsessng over the details in the fucking comic. Jesus, there's more discussion about comparing it with the comic than the actual show.

Well what do you expect it's fucking based on the fucking comic after fucking all.

I couldnt care less about them changing stuff in fact I quite like it, just jars when they add stuff that has no real need to be there or is just plain crap.

Comic spoiler

I'm putting a fiver on that hand getting chopped the fuck off. It's not like they need some amazing CG or anything, just a prosthetic, and they've got a great team churning those out every week for the zombies.

Me too, and i can see Merle (is it?) being the gang leader in an 'eye for an eye, hand for a hand' mentality.

I'll still be pissed if Carl doesn't shoot shane.

Definitely need to watch this over christmas, I do love my zombie flicks. Might give the comics a shot as well. I quite like the TV format for zombie things- films tend to be pretty predictable because they're on a relatively short timescale, so TV shows have a lot more scope for more plot twists etc. Dead Set was one of my favourite pieces of zombie media, and easily one of the most horrific.

In relation to the comic

Could Merle turn up in a later series as leader of the other town that Rick, Glenn and a couple of others find when they go to look at the crashed helicopter? It would make the treatment the group recieve whilst there have more than "because they were there and have supplies" as the core reason for what happens

That might be the writers planning too far ahead though.

In all honesty I'm liking that its so different to the comics, as I'm currently reading through them it makes both interesting and entertaining and perhaps thats the point, people will discover that its based (read: not a direct translation from book to screen,kind of like I Am Legend but so far handled much better) on a comic book and pick up the books thinking that they'll get ahead of their friends who may not be reading the book only for the show to throw things in a different direction but still focusing on the survival aspect that The Walking Dead is supposed to be about.

I think they'd be quite disappointed. I've read the first two books, and the writing in this is far superior (in my opinion, I know you lot are nuts about it).

I'm really enjoying this, whereas I wouldn't read the books again.

I wanted to give the series time to bed in before I commented on it but for me the series has been on a steady decline week after week. The first episode was nothing original but it showed potential and I liked the way it was shot but now it just feels like a high budget version of Survivors. I am biased as I never got on with the comics and the two share the same problem, namely the poor characters. I am finding it impossible to care about any of them and most I actively dislike. I'll definitely give it a full series as it is nice to see zombies on TV (although I thought Brooker's stab at the genre, whilst still flawed, was much more fun) but I'm sad to say that I'm finding it far from must see TV at present.

I think the characters in the series are a massive, massive improvement on the comics, as the actors can give a bit more life to the stereotypes, and they've managed to inject some conflict and drama with the addition of the mad racist biker and his brother. There's actually some dramatic tension now, as opposed to banal conversations between characters who all speak in exactly the same way.

The most recent episode was a bit rubbish though; the conversation in the boat at the start went on forever and was tooth-pullingly painful in terms of dialogue. The rest was promising, up until the bit in the

old folks' home, which was feeble. What was Egg's plan in the scene where he takes the guns back? Kill everyone?

First three episodes were corkers, though.

old folks' home, which was feeble. What was Egg's plan in the scene where he takes the guns back? Kill everyone?

When they all walk inside? I wasn't sure either, as after the first standoff Egg was pissed but the old lady needed to interrupt them and make everyone friends. So they had that extra scene then err... go inside to get jumped by even more guys and wait for the OL cue. Maybe if the two sides teamed up earlier there could've been more about the gang's zombie defence later or something, I dunno.

This is ok overall, I guess! I've not read the comics.

Starting to get a bit bored with this, as some have said, it seems to be trying to cram too much into it's short run and already some of the changes from the comics seem to be for the worse or just don't add anything at all. The extra characters apart from Merle and his brother are all faceless nobodies so far, if they were going to be introduced, it could have been done a little later after the main characters were established. Also Alan and family don't seem to be involved which leaves the important issue of(Comic book spoiler)

Billy and Ben being killed and how Carl and Rick deal with it, untouched... unless they meet them at that housing estate in the next episode

When they all walk inside? I wasn't sure either, as after the first standoff Egg was pissed but the old lady needed to interrupt them and make everyone friends. So they had that extra scene then err... go inside to get jumped by even more guys and wait for the OL cue. Maybe if the two sides teamed up earlier there could've been more about the gang's zombie defence later or something, I dunno.

This is ok overall, I guess! I've not read the comics.

I actually liked that part because, as far as I could tell,

his plan might really have been to start shooting until they gave Glenn back. He catches a glance at them when they first meet the leader where he seems to be noticing they are mostly armed with baseball bats. I like to think he intended to come on strong but offer a trade for some of the guns, at least until they could get a look at Glenn. Merle's brother was completely on board by the time they got back to the gang hideout, whereas he was complaining in the wee office when he thought Rick was going to give the guns up. Rick confirmed he wasn't planning to do that and next thing is them all pointing pieces and racking shotguns. I suppose the only thing you can take from that is they decided to do it the Merle's brother way!

It just made me laugh because television would teach you to expect there is some other scheme, but he didn't seem to have one!

Eps 3 & 4 much better than 2 - just watched them back to back and time zipped by. Definitely looking forward to whats left of this.

However - the mild but pretty consistant 'cringe' factor (perhaps best typified by the insulting 'last line' in Ep4) is why at the end of the day I think i'll regard this show much more as a guilty pleasure rather than something truly great I'll feel is important to turn others on to. Its a real shame the decision to dumb / Lostify it down was taken - it's so much weaker for it and it really needn't have been.

I thoroughly enjoyed episode 5. It had the potential to be mawkish in many places but it worked, and the climax was excellent.

Palpable tension as Rick ranted at the security camera.

The one bit that didn't quite work was the apparently extreme form of show-don't-tell - the replacement hose for the RV being fetched without so much as a throwaway line saying "Yeah we got it we're good to go". Made it a bit jarring that they just drove off without a problem.

Oh, and music from Sunshine. Hell yes.